What is Modern Monetary Theory?

You lost me a bit. I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Mmt notices that things work best when there is light inflation and high levels of productive employment. But this is a mainstream viewpoint, not specific to the theory
My point was that in MMT thinking the zero sum equation is the driving force behind everything. My question was where in the formula does most economic trouble arise: government, domestic or foreign?

Offhand, I would say that government and domestic are the two most common threats. The government might fail to spend sufficiently, and then cause unnecessary recession. Domestic can accidentally borrow too much non productively, and shuttle wealth upwards. Governments can easily overspend to cause too much inflation. Domestic can easily overspend to cause too much inflation.

I do perceive a foreign threat as possible, especially if you're dealing with a mercantilist power. In the end, a foreign power can act a lot like the 0.1% does, and just use dollars to increase ownership of your Society.

One area that proponents need to be careful is when they are discussing the ability of a government to default. They have to be aware of whether or not their audience is viewing it colloquially or literally. If money is Lent to the government with certain inflation expectations, then unexpected inflation is just as much of a default as refusing to pay the full Bond would be if there was no inflation.

You bet. A 'dollar' doesn't need to be undefined. It's the literal dollar in your wallet, or all of its legal equivalents. It's not anything that can be exchanged for a dollar. It's a dollar. A can of soup isn't a dollar, it's just worth a dollar. Same with IBM shares or a nugget of gold. Or even my promise to pay you a dollar.

Okay, the underlying premise is that an economy is running just fine if people are employed making stuff that other people want. It can almost be viewed as a barter system, and we often do. We just use dollars as a proxy. It's where we run into the problem of thinking of a can of soup AS a dollar. In the end, I'm trading gardening for roofing. And me tending your garden in exchange for you roofing my house is better than both of us just sitting at home doing nothing, or me just wasting my time roofing when I garden so much better. The thing is, in our economy, we need dollars to start the process. I come to you with $100 so that you'll roof my house and then you'll hand back that $100 for me to garden. The net spending is zero, but we're both better off. Even if your result of the transaction is zero savings (in dollars) the fact that you got stuff done means you're better off.

So, then we get into the reality of how money works. All dollars (except printed ones, infra) are borrowed into existence. This means that interest is owed and also the dollars are temporary. If I go to the bank and borrow $100, then two things are created at the same time. The first is my debt to the bank. The second is literally the $100 bill. In the United States, y'all use fractional reserve banking, so there's a second set of debt created as well, but it's completely immaterial to the discussion except when we're explaining why certain organizations were buying negative-yielding bonds.

But in Canada, it literally just happens at our bank level. One second there're zero dollars. The next second there's a hundred dollars and a debt for one hundred dollars plus interest.

It's the 'plus interest' part that matters. This means that there's never enough money to pay off all the debts outstanding. When I borrowed the $100 so that you'd roof my house, I can only (at most) get back $100 from you by gardening. It doesn't matter how much I garden. I could garden like a gardening-gardener-who-really-knows-how-to-garden and the most I can get back from you is $100. Unless new money is created in the meantime. Then I can hustle for those dollars to pay my interest. Without new dollars, either I default on my loan OR I'm tricked into being endlessly enslaved thinking that I could possibly work off my debt. But the outright worst scenario is that I don't actually do any gardening. The money is fiat and doesn't really exist. The fact that my house needs a better roof and your garden needs tending *actually* matters with regards to how tomorrow looks. If there's no money available for me to pay off my loan, then I'm going to huddle and do nothing, because I can afford nothing.

When I pay back the $100 to the bank, that money just (literally) disappears. It's gone. No one owns it. My debt disappears and the money disappears at the same time. The bank owns the interest I paid, though. So, next time I go out looking for money, I could approach the bank to see if they need any gardening done. Keep in mind, with the profitable exchange to happen (roofing for gardening) there must be more than one hundred dollars in the economy, or else the profitable exchange results in one person defaulting ... and there's no 'real' reason that should happen.

The really important part is that the $20 I currently (literally) have in my wallet means that someone is in debt $20 (plus interest). It could be a household. It could be a business. It could be a government. Somebody owes the money that I have. The entire system is stable if someone else borrows a new dollar into existence for us to scramble over. Now, eventually everyone realizes that they've borrowed too much, because all the dollars are being held by people who feel no need to spend them (you've nothing they want). We then all hunt for dollars to pay off our loans, but there's not enough money available to pay them all off. So, to save money, I delay roofing my house and you delay gardening. Because I delayed, you don't get paid. Because you delayed, I don't get paid. And our assets materially crumble for no real reason other than the economy is 'broken'. Because of this potential damage, the government can literally just print money and hand it to one of us and then we both employ each other again (in the US, this takes the form of the Fed buying something). And then there are extra dollars that can actually land in a savings account, even if it's not backed by debt. Since a lot of savings are perpetually unspent, it doesn't matter. It just sits in a savings account. It's an economic reality that those dollars could be spent, but it's also a behavioural reality that some won't be.

Is this an explanation of MMT? I can follow this. Basically government needs to keep spending to prevent economic stagnation, and private enterprises sitting on heaps of cash is not good. Which is happening now. Stock market goes way up but real wages don't really as companies hoard cash.

It's not an explanation of mmt. But it's part of its bedrock that everyone agrees on except maybe the austrians who cannot parse the idea that sometimes a dollar represents wealth then sometimes it represents a medium of exchange

I have a meeting to attend, but his has been fruitful. I am getting a much better handle on what you all are talking about. Thank you everyone, including Lexius. :)

It's not an explanation of mmt. But it's part of its bedrock that everyone agrees on except maybe the austrians who cannot parse the idea that sometimes a dollar represents wealth then sometimes it represents a medium of exchange

Eh to me it kind of conflicts with trickle down because the new money from the government deficits goes to the top with the assumption that the top is companies and individuals who will spend it, but in reality they do not spend it so the economy stagnates. The government can't just spend, they have to spend in the right places. We should want companies to increase real wages and hire more people, create more jobs, not just hoard cash or do stock buybacks or increase dividends to share holders.

I have a meeting to attend, but his has been fruitful. I am getting a much better handle on what you all are talking about. Thank you everyone, including Lexius. :)

That's why I like being in this forum, I feel like grinding my intellectual skill by being leisure reading internet forum lol

Eh to me it kind of conflicts with trickle down because the new money from the government deficits goes to the top with the assumption that the top is companies and individuals who will spend it, but in reality they do not spend it so the economy stagnates. The government can't just spend, they have to spend in the right places. We should want companies to increase real wages and hire more people, create more jobs, not just hoard cash or do stock buybacks or increase dividends to share holders.

Yes, one of the damages of the current system is that new money is mostly created at the top. You will note that during the great financial crisis, and the quantitative easing, most of the new money was spent into the bottom. The FED purchased government bonds, and the majority of government spending goes into the bottom and into the middle. Now, they didn't spend enough into the bottom in order to prevent wealth from trickling upwards overall in the current debt and taxation scheme that the US currently has. If I owe $1,000 of Interest, and you give me $1,000, you have actually given the person who owns my debt $1,000. If you give me $2,000, you've given us both $1,000 each. People quail at the idea of free money, but it's because they imagine that free money is free stuff. Sometimes free money just prevents the system from jamming up for no good reason

I am still thinking about how dollars are created. The word dollars is undefined at this point and could mean different things. How does MMT define a dollar?

I'm glad you asked this question. Money is an abstract system, it's very similar historically and conceptually to a system of standardized weights and measures promulgated by a government. A 'dollar' is similar to a 'kilogram', it's just a measure we use, and the thing it measures is financial "stocks" and "flows". An example of a stock "stock variable" is net worth; a "flow variable" is something like "the amount of money I spend on rent each year". Flows accumulate into stocks; another way of putting this is that a stock is just the sum of net flows for a given economic entity (a household, business, government, or individual) over a given period of time. So, as you know, the sum of all the deficits the federal government has run over its lifetime is the national debt: in this example the flows are the deficits, the stock is the debt.

So 'dollars' conceptually need to be separated from the actual paper dollars in your wallet - those are what MMT calls the "money things," the physical tokens used to represent the abstract concept of a dollar - just as a ruler is a physical representation of the abstract concept of a foot or a yard or whatever. Most money today actually exists in the form of entries in electronic ledgers, so this is actually important. In the context of the previous discussion, we were talking about dollars in the abstract (I know that I confused this by bringing up a hypothetical Chinese printing press). The reality is that we know all dollars come from the US because the dollar is a construct of US law, just as the RMB is a construct of Chinese law, the GBP is a construct of UK law, and so on.

You looked back to explain past recessions, kinda. If MMT is a guide, what does it say government should do now or in the next year? To be useful, MMT needs to be able to look forward. Does it do that?

At the very least, MMT argues that we need robust regulation and supervision of the financial sector, as well as policies and programs that entail countercylical spending (countercyclical here means "against the business cycle" and it means spending to offset the decrease in spending that occurs during a business cycle downturn), to prevent or ameliorate future recessions.

The government can't just spend, they have to spend in the right places.

EXACTLY! And this is why MMT breaks with "new Keynesian" orthodoxy in saying that the least inflationary, least trickle-down type of government spending is public employment programs that literally put money in the wallets of unemployed people while also adding to real wealth by performing needful tasks and building infastructure. You let consumer spending drive investment rather than attempting to do it the other way around. Democrats and Republicans have been trying to give money to rich people to stimulate investment for seventy years in this country and all it's done is led to the current bad situation.

If you are really interested in learning more about this, I would suggest reading Warren Mosler's book. It is available for free here:

http://moslereconomics.com/wp-content/powerpoints/7DIF.pdf

It is short, very accessible with no economic theory or technical discussion at all, and I think Mosler will be able to explain some of the basic concepts better than anyone on this forum, as well as their practical importance and what it means for making policy now and in the future.

Yes, one of the damages of the current system is that new money is mostly created at the top. You will note that during the great financial crisis, and the quantitative easing, most of the new money was spent into the bottom. The FED purchased government bonds, and the majority of government spending goes into the bottom and into the middle. Now, they didn't spend enough into the bottom in order to prevent wealth from trickling upwards overall in the current debt and taxation scheme that the US currently has. If I owe $1,000 of Interest, and you give me $1,000, you have actually given the person who owns my debt $1,000. If you give me $2,000, you've given us both $1,000 each. People quail at the idea of free money, but it's because they imagine that free money is free stuff. Sometimes free money just prevents the system from jamming up for no good reason

So the banks all eventually get around to lending out way the hell too much, at least half of which to each other to force the issue, which collapses everything, except now they have liens everywhere to collect, so it converts make believe wealth markers they've been given carte blanche to wet dream up into control over real things that real men with real guns dispatched from the state will enforce. So what, the crux here is that banks are taxing entities of the state that occasionally break themselves in order to make their controllers obscenely rich? Gee, sounds like Congress. Lots of theories around already to adequately predict that. :lol:

Yes, the banks profit when the current system works. And some of the banks profit when the system breaks. Same with individual households. When a government deficit spends into a recession, and I keep my truck as a result, it's just as much of a bailout as the person who doesn't go broke after putting a vacation on the credit card.

It's why I talked about the marginal tax rates being too low. Gaming the system for profit only really matters if it results in the net flow of total wealth upwards. Also, it's why a lot of other people get frustrated that the bankers didn't get haircuts on their failed loans. A failed loan should result in a loss to the person who made it just as the person who took it out. Modern monetary Theory allows for this problem, if I understand it correctly, because it has mechanisms of preventing the bailout from causing the wealth to go upwards. There is no bail out, people are just paid to work.

Last edited:
What are the three? basic principles/assumptions of MMT?
I listed five, there might be a few more.
Could be. That's why I think MMT needs a graphic that depicts its key underlying principles. When you guys use words, it just sounds like a CFC discussion of philosophy: intellectual masturbation.
It just means stop voting for people who want to run government surpluses because where the dollars come from matters, and prosecute financial fraudsters.

Thanks @Owen Glyndwr Why is that true?
It's accounting, not theory, and those sectors account for all 3 sectors that make up 100% of a macroeconomy (you could break it down further but no need for this).

How would changes in population affect things?
It wouldn't change the money, but it would change money demand levels in the private (or foreign) sector which is outside of accounting but a good reason not to shrink the private sector balance.

I am still thinking about how dollars are created. The word dollars is undefined at this point and could mean different things. How does MMT define a dollar?
As a dollar. Cash in USD, bank account balances in USD, treasuries in USD. Any money that's a dollar and not another currency. Literally a dollar. Not a "dollar" for the sake of discussion, but a dollar.
You looked back to explain past recessions, kinda. If MMT is a guide, what does it say government should do now or in the next year? To be useful, MMT needs to be able to look forward. Does it do that?
A little bit! More than non post-Keynesian economics. But economics has largely been prescriptive that predictive.

If I write a 200 word children's book that sells well, have I created money/dollars/wealth?
no/no/yes

You didn't make the money, you made the thing someone with money wants. They got that money through a network of trades that leads back to a bank loan or government spending.

OK, so to keep the equation in balance, you have to change the values of the components. To means that means what MMT does is force all transactions into its equation such that things equal zero. Then from that if one component gets too far out of whack, trouble ensues. Given the three main parts are government+domestic+foreign = 0, does the trouble usually arise in the domestic section?
For the United States, trouble arises when the private sector goes into deficit. The demand for money is always increasing (hey, you made a children's book, and someone else made a child, there's now more stuff and more people demanding money) so the difference has to be made up via bank loans.

Well you can use a MMT understanding for nefarious ends, a la Dick "Deficits Don't Matter" Cheney. More money for the top won't bankrupt the government.

It's not a haircut when you take it down to the neck.

And how did those entities get the currency into the real Market? Did the Fed go on to purchase assets that were denominated in euros?

I think my favorite story, one that I use to help people that are economically conservative understand, is the Swiss printing francs so that they could purchase ownership of non Swiss stock
I don't remember. It might have been something as stupid as financing member-state deficits.

I read this thread bite by bite, really mind blowing for someone who have zero knowledge on economy.

My conclusion is that debt cannot ever be paid in the big scheme, in fact the whole of modern economy are based on debt, debt is the reference, the reflection of all the money that exist. Add debt with interest, this made the circulation of money is lesser than the amount of debt, which can only be remedied with the debtor takes loan that results more debt and interest, because debt icannot ever be paid, that's crazy, it's impossible to erase debt.

It's really sound like a kind of addiction game or even like a giant scam if when the player don't play along (no debt taken in the future) the economy pretty much crushed badly. You should never ever stop the cycle of new money-loan-debt+interest-new money-loan-debt+interest.

But MMT really sound interesting because it challenged the conventional narrative. What I know during deficits bank should increase interest rate so the amount of money that circulating in the public could be decreased, and bank get money to play on, but MTT challenged this narrative, instead it said to lower the interest to stimulate loan and increase the economy productivity, this also somehow correlated with what El Machinae stated in other post that inflation is not caused by the amount of money get printed, it's caused by the availability of money is higher than the economy productivity.

And yes, if we see economy as some sort of balance, deficits means new printed money were use more by private sector, while surplus mean the new printed money was sitting on a bank than it was in the private sector. there is only where does it goes? Does it implied that deficits also an of the economy productivity?

The important narrative that mmt challenged from what I understand is that low interest is good for economy because it creates loan and productivity. And high interest in the other hand decreased the productivity. It stand for a more active and rigorous economy, to arm people with more ability to spend money.

But yea, haven't read page 8, I read it quite slowly. I think also I will do some re-read.

Last edited:
Debt and tax are the whips that force you to work in the ways society deems useful. One might make the argument that the ratios and things encouraged are unfair, suboptimal, or even stupid or corrupt. One may make the same argument about how money is allowed into the system in the first place. But opting out is a big luxury of power. Usury is far more toxic to society than most people figure. There's a damned good reason it's an old sin.

I mean, there are worse ways for it to work. Could be real whips. Like private prisons for being inconvenient socioeconomic, or legit concentration camps for being ethnic and religious.

Last edited:
It's true, which is why the mmt crowd is starting to make noise. In truth, we work because we don't want to have an empty belly. We need to eat, and so we need to work.

The wealth imbalance is part of the problem. if you want to work these days, you need to take on debt: rent, car, education etc. and then you need to earn to just pay back the money you borrowed to 'invest in your future'. Even more painful for family business, where kids are raised with the expectation that they'll take on the family debt with their labor

It wouldn't be a problem, except that the wealth is compounding at the top. All of the true benefits are accrued up the wealth ladder, and aren't properly taxed back down. I'd say that a lot of MMT can be framed to respond to the problem presented by Picketty

Last edited:
I got kind of tired of arguing economics, find myself repeating things, but really ought to revisit an old project on the history of economics here. Anyway, just want to throw in one thing now: current orthodox economics resulted from a very peculiar set of political conditions in the 1970s, changes that were happening about global trade and that derailed for a few years the previous kind-of-keynesian consensus. It was enough for a new group to drive in its wedge, and establish itself as the dominant political group.

Economics is a branch of politics... Its old name was more adequate, political economy. And any big political change leads to a change of orthodoxy in this "science". It is not surprising that orthodox economics is under pressure now.

Top Bottom