What Movie(s) Have You Recently Seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rambuchan said:
However, if you've seen or read Henrik Ibsen's "Ghosts", you will notice that Volver's story is an almost exact carbon copy of it. :scan:

'Ghosts'!?! That's the English title for 'Gengangere'? :lol:

:shake:

Rambuchan said:
What would be more appropriate?

Why translate at all? 'Gengangere' is as good as it gets.

Genganger ~ Ghost, but unfortunately something important is 'lost in translation'.

Unfortunately it is. What would be more appropriate?

Can't really think of anything more appropriate than "Ghosts". "Gengangere" litterally means "those who walk again". The most direct translation would be "Rewalkers", but that word doesn't exist:) My dictionary says "Ghost, apparition or spectre", so I think the translation is quite adequate.
Never read the book, though, so perhaps the word in the original language has some connection to the story that is lost in translation by using "ghosts".

Who's seen Black Dahlia? How the hell could it have been a 15? It had nudity, gore, violence and swearing. Good film though, in my opinion.

Corlindale said:
"Gengangere" litterally means "those who walk again"

:yup: But kinda awkward title.

Sorry Ram, my mind must have been poisoned by that ghost-mud-Patrick Swayze-unchained melody thing...

On topic: I'm currently watching Carnivale, Season 2. :thumbsup:

thetrooper said:
Why translate at all? 'Gengangere' is as good as it gets.
Why? Because folk like me simply don't know what 'Gengangere' means!
thetrooper said:
Genganger ~ Ghost, but unfortunately something important is 'lost in translation'.
No sh!t. :lol:
Corlindale said:
Can't really think of anything more appropriate than "Ghosts". "Gengangere" litterally means "those who walk again". The most direct translation would be "Rewalkers", but that word doesn't exist:) My dictionary says "Ghost, apparition or spectre", so I think the translation is quite adequate.
Never read the book, though, so perhaps the word in the original language has some connection to the story that is lost in translation by using "ghosts".
"those who walk again" hmm, now that's more interesting and relevant to both 'Volver' and 'Ghosts'. I remember that the subtitles had 'Volver' translated as "coming back". (I noticed no reference, nor tip of the hat made by Almodovar to Ibsen's piece, tut tut.)

Well, 'gengangere' also means 'something that happens again', not just the 'ghost' part.

Just saw Interview with the Vampire.

My girlfriend said it was good but I found it dissapointing (not that I thought I'd particularly like it but I know it was popular). I felt little for the characters and the plot... well there wasn't really any. It was just decent enough for me to watch the whole thing, which actually is almost worse.

I went to see Clerks II yestersday. I thought it was pretty good.

Last week I watched XXX 2 :ack: my god, how bad can you get? it was simply horrible, IMHO

on sunday we watchet Pitch Black on DVD. I quite liked it, good entertainement :)

and yesterday we watched some braindead 08/15-romantic comedy called "Heute heiratet mein Ex" (today my Ex marries). meh, booooring, but at least the main actress was cute :)

I'll never forget watching From Dusk Til Dawn with some friends of mine. One wasn't aware it was a vmpire movie until the bar seen. I will always love that movie because of his reaction...

Paradigne said:
I'll never forget watching From Dusk Til Dawn with some friends of mine. One wasn't aware it was a vmpire movie until the bar seen. I will always love that movie because of his reaction...
IIRC, one also needed a box of tissues after Salma Hayeks all too brief dance scene.

Turner said:
Any good? I love the book, but I've been hesitant to see the movie.
I LOVED the movie when i first saw it at the cinema. But the book is probably better than the movie. (as always :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom