What new countries will we see in the next 20 years

What new countries will we see in the next 20 years?

• Total voters
Support for the Eu would diminish rapidly in Scotland if they were put on austerity ;)
Greece used to be one of the most pro-Eu countries, but that was another time, before the debt colonialism.

Put on austerity?
What do you think they had under Cameron and May?

Put on austerity?
What do you think they had under Cameron and May?

There are degrees to things. The problem with the british isles states is that you never had a reason to actually learn about what has been going on in the Eu since 2008 or 2010. And it shows :/ Both pro and anti Eu positions in Britain are not rational.

There are degrees to things. The problem with the british isles states is that you never had a reason to actually learn about what has been going on in the Eu since 2008 or 2010. And it shows :/ Both pro and anti Eu positions in Britain are not rational.

Nor are Greek attitudes to their debt problems.
Its the banks fault for lending to them, its the Germans fault for not wanting to pay more taxes so Greeks can avoid austerity.
The only people not to blame are the Greeks who voted in the governments that got them into the mess and still haven't sorted out chronic tax evasion and avoidance in their country.

Nor are Greek attitudes to their debt problems.
Its the banks fault for lending to them, its the Germans fault for not wanting to pay more taxes so Greeks can avoid austerity.
The only people not to blame are the Greeks who voted in the governments that got them into the mess and still haven't sorted out chronic tax evasion and avoidance in their country.
Right. I am sure you are aware that austerity and memoranda here started when the debt to gdp ratio was less than 90% I am also sure you know that now it is 200%
Please don't post about ruinous things you know nothing about :)

Right. I am sure you are aware that austerity and memoranda here started when the debt to gdp ratio was less than 90% I am also sure you know that now it is 200%
Please don't post about ruinous things you know nothing about :)

Austerity isn't good for a country but you'd have had worse terms if you had to go to the IMF like the UK did in 1976.
Tax evasion is still a big problem in Greece https://www.dianeosis.org/en/2016/06/tax-evasion-in-greece/
Sort that out before expecting others to pay for your mess.

This does sound a bit like blaming you for BoJo or the UK corporate tax rate.

Imo it would be more like someone foolishly claiming that Scotland has it coming for anything England does to it cause Scots are known to be crooks/lazy and other such utter nonsense.
That said, I can't care; it's not like Amazon's opinion (or anyone else's) would change anything. And I am used to reading such ridiculous things; I think the problem is people don't quite get that real lives are ruined due to this, but whatever, no poster matters in the first place and we all can say what we wish without any backing.

This does sound a bit like blaming you for BoJo or the UK corporate tax rate.
Imo it would be more like someone foolishly claiming that Scotland has it coming for anything England does to it cause Scots are known to be crooks/lazy and other such utter nonsense.
That said, I can't care; it's not like Amazon's opinion (or anyone else's) would change anything. And I am used to reading such ridiculous things; I think the problem is people don't quite get that real lives are ruined due to this, but whatever, no poster matters in the first place and we all can say what we wish without any backing.

Its more a matter of saying there is something the Greek government could and should be doing to help reduce the demand for austerity.
Saying Greece has a high level of tax evasion isn't an aspersion on the Greek character. Its a fact.

Keep at it, not sure what you think you are championing with this. Maybe you are the new "common sense" revolutionary.
A new

Its offtopic anyway so I'll leave it.
I know you aren't amenable to reason whenever the argument concerns Greece.

Its more a matter of saying there is something the Greek government could and should be doing to help reduce the demand for austerity.
Saying Greece has a high level of tax evasion isn't an aspersion on the Greek character. Its a fact.
Just FYI:
The tax-to-GDP ratio in the United Kingdom was 33.5% in 2018
The tax-to-GDP ratio in Greece was 38.7% in 2018

Sure, @AmazonQueen as long as you add to your understanding that in this country we aren't dealing with hypothetical issues created by the Eu, and imagine how Britain would have been with a debt ballooning from 90% of GDP to 200% of GDP as a direct result of the memoranda.
Then compare how hysteric people are for much less pronounced problems - and then, if it comes to that, feel free to keep your view about Greece which I don't care about.
This country has its own serious problems. But becoming a debt colony is NOT of Greece's own making.

why isn't Taiwan in the list and yet Tibet is? I'll say Taiwan is more likely to be recognized as fully independent nation again than Tibet.

Taiwan IS a country and has been since WW2 (technically before too, though it was a lot bigger). There are lots of idiotic regimes that say otherwise, including in my own country. But in contrast to just about every other country on the list, the Taiwanese government has never been conquered and Taiwan has never conceded/accepted PRC rule. It's also fishy that a country is preparing an invasion of its own territory. What is this, the "Obama invading Texas strategy" (lol)?

PRC claiming Taiwan is part of its land is like USA claiming that Cuba is US territory. Even if a large number of nations were to nod that Cuba is now US clay, Cuba would still have its government and would still not actually be part of the USA. Unless the US took it militarily, which would make the world seem an even darker place than it does now.

Taiwan IS a country and has been since WW2 (technically before too, though it was a lot bigger). There are lots of idiotic regimes that say otherwise, including in my own country. But in contrast to just about every other country on the list, the Taiwanese government has never been conquered and Taiwan has never conceded/accepted PRC rule. It's also fishy that a country is preparing an invasion of its own territory. What is this, the "Obama invading Texas strategy" (lol)?

PRC claiming Taiwan is part of its land is like USA claiming that Cuba is US territory. Even if a large number of nations were to nod that Cuba is now US clay, Cuba would still have its government and would still not actually be part of the USA. Unless the US took it militarily, which would make the world seem an even darker place than it does now.
But Tawian isn't a officially recongised nation by UN. Not that I am saying it shouldn't but cold hard fact is that very few country have official ties with Tawian.

UN is a joke, I recognize it even less than it recognizes Taiwan lol. Sure, a lot of countries are bending over for China $$$. But I would estimate that very few actually believe Taiwan is part of PRC.

UN is a joke, I recognize it even less than it recognizes Taiwan lol. Sure, a lot of countries are bending over for China $$$. But I would estimate that very few actually believe Taiwan is part of PRC.
There is recognise and recognise. The US does not "recognise" Taiwan, but sells them loads of weapons and guarantees their independence (?).

this is um simplistic

like for firsties, taiwan doesn't even recognise taiwan

Yes, that's the big complicating factor here.

Both the ROC and PRC consider themselves to be officially the government of China, they're competing claimants for the same legitimate government, as a result of an incomplete civil war.

After reforming away from still literally having perpetual KMT legislators representing PRC-occupied mainland China, Taiwan's government refers to itself as things like "the free area of the Republic of China" in legal documents, and it maintains ministries and institutions for peoples of China like Mongolians and Tibetans. It also claims territory from outside modern mainland China including, I believe, all of Mongolia and some islands of Japan.

Taiwan being recognised as a separate state from the PRC, no longer claiming all of China, seceding as its own entity, would be massively changing its current constitutional position. It is a valid ambition to hold. It's held by some within Taiwan. But it's not exactly the dominant position there, it's politically contested, and it's not the constitutional status quo. And that's even before the implications for relations with the PRC are considered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom