What video games have you been playing? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suck at that game, period.

Fallout sucks so that won't work for me.

Found a nice little game called Hex-a-Hop. Interesting concept. And bloody damned difficult!
Fallout sucks
Nan desu ka, karudogeimusan?

I like the pattern of tiles being worked by this base:

I now count amongst the master-race capable of running Witcher 3 on a PC comfortably.
Damn this game is gorgeous. And huge. And well written.

I now count amongst the master-race capable of running Witcher 3 on a PC comfortably.
Damn this game is gorgeous. And huge. And well written.

Combat gets boring after while though, but I was doing every single side quest before my save crapped out. Now I can't go back.

I bought EUIV: Art of War yesterday, it's the only expansion I own. Do I want any other ones? Some of the other ones got mixed or bad reviews on steam, and I've been told "Art of War" is "must have". Any others I should get/wait until they are on sale/etc.?

And couldn't you start the game in 1388? For some reason now I can only ever start in 1444

1399 was EU III; vanilla EU IV only starts in 1444. Steam reviews aren't that accurate for Paradox games, given the hate-fest that erupts with every patch and/or DLC.

I've been playing Mortal Kombat X for PS4. It's good. They put a lot of effort into the fighting system this time. Instead of going the usual MK route of spamming the game with too many fighters, they instead focused on depth. It payed off - it's the best MK game I've played.

1399 was EU III; vanilla EU IV only starts in 1444. Steam reviews aren't that accurate for Paradox games, given the hate-fest that erupts with every patch and/or DLC.

Yeah, I don't take them as gospel, but when the reviews are "Overwhelmingly positive" and it's a genre I'm into, I always end up liking the game, and when they're overwhelmingly negative, I.. well I can't say they always suck, because I don't think I've ever bought a game that got a horrible across the board review... but either way thanks for helping me remember what 1399 was all about

I've been happy with all the expansions to EU4. Every one has significantly improved the base game.

To be specific, 1399 was EU3 with the In Nomine expansion. The base game started in 1453. Which still strikes me as the best start point. But then that's maybe because the Byzantophiles on the PDox forums annoy me so much that I wish said nation wasn't in the game....

As for the EUIV expansions, they're all good IMO. Whenever a new one comes out, there are some unbalanced new features, but overall, the game ends up better.

What is the learning curve for the EU series? I've never gotten around to playing any of them, but I'm running out of games to play that I'm actually interested in, so I guess It's about time I tackled this series.

Also, which one would any of you recommend for someone who is completely new to the series as a good starting point?

The latest one (EU4) is also the best one, imo.
It is not a simple game, but it has an extensive wiki, active community and a huge amount of Let's Plays.

The learning curve is somewhat craggy, to be fair, but it has immense untapped depths.

Actually, EU is more daunting at first and looks more unwieldy than it's actually is once you're used to it.
The learning curve SEEMS huge when you start the game and are overwhelmed by the tons of things possible, but after a rather short while (short relative to the kind of game of course), it's in fact not that bad.

As for the EU4 vs EU3, I can honestly say it's one of the few cases where both are on-par (except, obviously, in graphics where EU4 is so much nicer on the eyes). EU3 has a clunky system of magistrate, but I prefer how it handles inertia. EU4 is more responsive and cleaner, but I'm not a fan of the huge focus on the ruler's abilities and how you can spend points to have an instant effect (gives an "action" feeling completely out of place). Both are still great.

But then that's maybe because the Byzantophiles on the PDox forums annoy me so much that I wish said nation wasn't in the game....

If stellaris/HOI4* hasn't got byzantium as only playable faction I'll be disappointed. /s
*Assuming this EVER gets a release

Also, which one would any of you recommend for someone who is completely new to the series as a good starting point?

I would get EUIV and play my first game as one of the easier nations. I think my first game was as England. Castille is supposed to be easy too, but there's a bit of competition on the Iberian peninsula you have to deal with, so I'm not sure if it's a good first choice.

I think I had 400 hours under my belt before I felt like I knew what I was really doing. But I'm a bit of a relaxed gamer, I don't pay attention to everything and sometimes it's just fun for me to sit there and half-arse everything, instead of thinking hard and making sure that all my bases are covered.

Either way, I would go into my first game not expecting much.

Actually, EU is more daunting at first and looks more unwieldy than it's actually is once you're used to it.
The learning curve SEEMS huge when you start the game and are overwhelmed by the tons of things possible, but after a rather short while (short relative to the kind of game of course), it's in fact not that bad.

I would describe it as the ultimate expression of the phrase "easy to learn, hard to master". Getting the basics down doesn't really take that much time, it's pretty easy to figure out how to play. Figuring out how to be good is a whole different animal, there is a LOT of complexity and optional features hidden under the hood that you don't need to know about in order to play at first but that become crucial as your ambition for building better and better empires grows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom