What Videogames are you playing? ΙΔ - Meet your doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
civilization 4 with realism invictus mod, at the end game (1880s) but the micro management of moving a lot of unit, and managing lots of the cities production and stuff is really making me too lazy to play. I'm playing as Inca, and trying to topple the war monger Southern China who get 1 fifth of the other civilization as his vassal, my score is 2800 while he nearly reach 5000, but technologically I manage to be on top, but Imagining the trouble and struggle that I need to endure, really don't bring any excitement, sound boring and tiring. I really amaze how I don't like challenge in game nowadays.

What was the name of that game where You command a squad of soldiers during WW2, You recommended a few years back . It's a squad level tactical game.
No love for Commandos?
I see the question was answered, but that description (also) immediately reminded me of Commandos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commandos_(series)

They're pretty old games (the expansion to the first one was already out in 2001), but the first couple at least are relatively bug-free (those are the only ones I played, can't speak for the others).

They were at one point also available on GOG, although checking now, they are apparently no longer available -- or at least, they are invisible if one is accessing GOG through a German ISP (I have Commandos 2+3 in my GOG-library, but both games were uninstallable for a long time; see spoiler).
Spoiler Booorr-ring... :
When they were originally released in the late 90s/early 00s, the Commandos games were not allowed to be sold in Germany: (yet more) collateral damage from the German law banning displays of Nazi insignia in non-historical contexts.

I was nonetheless able to buy the games from GOG in 2008 or so (very soon after they opened for business), before they realised that this sale was technically illegal. Several years after I'd bought the games, to comply with the law, GOG made them unbuyable/ uninstallable for Germany-based users (refunds were offered). Enforcement of that law has since been relaxed: IIRC, computer-games were recategorised as art-products, similar to films and TV shows, and the 2 Commandos games in my library have now been unlocked again -- I just installed both of them.

(The original Wolfenstein 3D is also now available to buy on GOG!)

If it's GOG you can skip that by downloading the reusable installer after a friend has reuploaded it (they're usually too large to send as an email attachment) after you've bought it for them.

As for the original Commandos game itself, I think I still have the installer. I never won it. Danged game, as soon as the enemy sees you you've lost.

@tjs282 - It was only in the last few years that Germany got to play an uncensored version of Half-Life. There were some odd design choices in the censored version, such as barnacle gibs being replaced with mechanical parts, scientists sitting down and shaking their heads until they slowly faded away (after running through a tripmine, too!), and replacing all the HECU marines with robots.

Metro Exodus is a competent stealth-shooter, but I miss the unusual setting of the previous games. Without it, the game's kind of a generic post-apocalypse. It's fine, I guess, but I'll surprise myself if I finish it.

For people who have played Kenshi, how slow is it starting out? Is it one of the games where I will spend the first six hours or so in the same location earning pennies and slowly grinding up skills? I know it isn't a fast game, but is it more like Mount and Blade -where you can start doing fun stuff after an hour or two- or like X3 where you will have to spend several hours grinding and shuttling trade goods back and forth before you can do anything?

For people who have played Kenshi, how slow is it starting out? Is it one of the games where I will spend the first six hours or so in the same location earning pennies and slowly grinding up skills? I know it isn't a fast game, but is it more like Mount and Blade -where you can start doing fun stuff after an hour or two- or like X3 where you will have to spend several hours grinding and shuttling trade goods back and forth before you can do anything?

Look me up on the Egosoft forums.

I found a cool Fallout 4 mod that restores the highways to the Boston metro area. There are not very many on-ramps but once you do get on, you can zip across the wasteland relatively unmolested. I also got a mod that functions as a linked storage bin. It's kind of like how workshops work with supply routes only you don't need the supply routes and the everything placed inside the unit can be taken out at another unit.

I LOVE VIDEO GAMES!!!!

Been playing Civ4-Colonization again lately. It's a great game and still holds up.

I never can't win that one :/ I can't train professional soldiers in college - like I could in the original game and my rebel sentiment shift uncontrollably when I put colonists from one colony to another and Tory expeditional force is just so overwhelmingly large for me to tackle. I don't know what I've been doing wrong I had fun developing colonies though :) It's a good game, I just couldn't finish it.

Been playing Civ4-Colonization again lately. It's a great game and still holds up.

Indeed. Modded or vanilla?

Tower of Time free on GoG's Winter Sale today.

Anybody played it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. Modded or vanilla?
Funny story that... I guess the TL;DR to your question is "both".

So I got an inkling to play the game again, but it had been so long that I just fired it up and started playing a new game from scratch... but the game seemed so different. At first, since I hadn't played in so long, I assumed that the game had been patched by some update and just kept playing. The leader abilities seemed different somehow, the buildings were different, the Europe interface was different, specifically it was missing the cool screen of the port with people lining up on the dock and instead was just a generic brown screen. There were also new founding fathers that I didn't remember and even the ones that were still in the game had different abilities than what I remembered and they came in different order. The game also seemed a lot easier than I remembered, especially since every town started off with a Town Hall, and a dock, and cloth was not needed to build ships anymore. Again... I just chocked this all up to an patch/update and/or me playing on a lower difficulty level than what I thought I was playing before. I played the game like this for several days, and got deep into a game with multiple cities.

But then I tried to set up automatic trade routes with my caravans and caravels and discovered that trade routes just did not work. I know I remembered them working before and I thought the game was corrupted somehow so I decided to start over and change the difficulty level to see if that fixed the problem. That was when I decided to change the map and noticed that some of the maps were labeled "TAC"... then it hit me that "TAC" stood for "The Authentic Colonization" mod... which was how I had always been playing it before. Forgetting about the mod, I'd started a game in Vanilla... and that's why everything was all "wrong" *facepalm* :blush: Anyway I'm playing it with the TAC mod now... its a fantastic mod and I think that its universally regarded as the only way to play the game properly.

I never can't win that one :/ I can't train professional soldiers in college - like I could in the original game and my rebel sentiment shift uncontrollably when I put colonists from one colony to another and Tory expeditional force is just so overwhelmingly large for me to tackle. I don't know what I've been doing wrong I had fun developing colonies though :) It's a good game, I just couldn't finish it.
When you say you "can't win"... on what difficulty level are we talking? Cause I have to admit that I'm skeptical that you're unable to win playing on the lowest difficulty level.

As for the original Commandos game itself, I think I still have the installer. I never won it. Danged game, as soon as the enemy sees you you've lost.
Yeah, the final mission was a beast. A great game though - someone should remake this and improve enemy AI a bit.

Picked up Ace Combat 7 on sale, only for the few VR missions though. It's fun but it's putting my stomach to the test that's for sure. I may have met my match, we'll see.

When you say you "can't win"... on what difficulty level are we talking? Cause I have to admit that I'm skeptical that you're unable to win playing on the lowest difficulty level.

I can't remember , I was playing a while ago, but it wasn't the lowest - unmoded version. Do You play moded or unmoded version ?

Sorry - didn't seen Your response earlier ;)

Still playing LoL.

What are the best video games for socializing nowadays? Popular in europe.

I can't remember , I was playing a while ago, but it wasn't the lowest - unmoded version. Do You play moded or unmoded version ?

Sorry - didn't seen Your response earlier ;)

I recommend that you switch to TAC and go with some moderate difficulty until you get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom