1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What's going on in Indonesia?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Xenocrates, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Dann

Dann Green bug

No news here either. Just about those evacuated from the Solomon Islands and still more recently, East Timor.

It's probably old news from the 1990s.

2. Xenocrates

Xenocrates Deity

I wasn't implying that Rumsfeld is beheading people.

The historical comparison is with Henry Kissinger who visited Indonesia the day before the invasion of East Timor in 1975. The subsequent massacres were carried out with US-made weapons. Kissinger initially denied that he had foreknowledge of the invasion, until he was cornered.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB176/index.htm
    The issue then was minerals, the US company Freeport McMoran Copper and Gold Inc, mostly owned in New Orleans, operated in Indonesia and there were strong rumors that Kissinger was acting in the interests of Freeport and not the US. Incidently, he later sat on the Freeport board.

Rumsfeld+Cheney=Kissinger

3. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Given the number of pieces on East Timor lately, I find it somewhat hard to believe this wouldn't made the news. I'll join the link or disbelief camp.

4. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

I join the link or disbelief camp as well. Nothing about this was in any of the international mags that I read weekly sinec I can remember.

5. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

Aha, it all fits. Have they arrested him yet?

6. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

I also disbelieve this. There's no mention of this on BBC and searching in Google news yields nothing of it either.

7. Xenocrates

Xenocrates Deity

I'm starting to worry about it myself (the accuracy that is). I have only a gruesome link to a webpage in Mandarin that contains plenty of nasty photos, some clearly old ones. The translator may have mislead me. I'll try to get another source.

The World's fourth largest country is an interesting place. I should have started a general Indonesia thread, although it would probably have turned into a general anti-American thread like all the others. ;)

8. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

But an actor went to beach recently and Angelina or something had a baby.

We have too many things going on here to worry about those brown people. :rolleyes:

9. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Deity

They did do some nasty stuff to Chinese in Indonesia in the 90s, sad to say, i know some people who were murdered. From what i know, Indonesia was never a safe place, mass murders were a common occurence and entire villages were wiped out because they opposed the old leader (Suharto). The common folks believe that Chinese were in collusion with Suharto(not an untruth), and were therefore targetted. A previous president even made some comments about Chinese being the jews of the east to gain popular support. One thing that is sill current, the Indonesians are still murdering the natives on their side of Paupa New Guinea.

10. EdwardTking

EdwardTking Deity

Indonesia is not really a country.

One island and its set of ethnic groups rule the others.

The world should refer to it by its true name:

The evil Islamic Javan Empire.

11. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

You were implying exactly what you just said. But obviously the comparison is flawed, since Rumsfeld was getting yelled at by the Indonesians.

12. Xenocrates

Xenocrates Deity

The reason why I mentioned Rumsfeld's whereabouts is that he is prepared to talk with Indonesia. I wondered whether he would mention the frequent (and possibly current) killings of ethnic Chinese.

Talking to the Government of a country where these atrocities happen about how to cooperate in 'the war on terror' is somewhat ironic. :(