whats the origin of that stupid S symbol?

First I've heard of it. Looks kind of like a Moebius strip to me.

In the words of Strong Bad, "The 'S' is for Sucks!"

Heh, I've never seen that S... HOWEVER:

I used to decorate the borders of all my notebooks with a very similar design. My hypothesis is that this symbol was (is?) so popular because it looks cool, and nothing more. As about who used it first, it probably was independently discovered by a lot of people (like... thousands or so).

The thing with which I used to decorate my notebooks looks like that:
Spoiler :

We used to call it "Greek ornament", I don't know why... it looked... Greek to us. And somehow it still looks somewhat Greek to me after all those years. Don't know why. We had two ways of doing it, this was "continuous" and I could have also done it "weaving" - each second connection you would do it the other way (the two bottom lines going up and the top one going down, rather than the opposite which I drew in Paint and posted here).

Yeah, I remember that symbol Fifty. We used to draw it in Norway as well, back in elementary and maybe middle school. Mostly the more gangsta-wannabe kids would draw it, I thought it was cool and eventually caved in and drew it myself.

I remember me not being able to do it, and being envious of people who could. :(

As I remember it, it was most drawn by the wanna be gangsta kids, not the real future gangster people but the suburban posers. Never knew what it meant, just seemed like a graffitified S. Fantastic thread as always fifty.

As I remember it, it was most drawn by the wanna be gangsta kids, not the real future gangster people but the suburban posers. Never knew what it meant, just seemed like a graffitified S. Fantastic thread as always fifty.

Graffitied S. My sentiments exactly, well put.
And yeah, good thread, it draws back forgotten memories from the childhood

It looks like we, those who don't live in english-speaking areas, have never seen this S.

Heh, I've never seen that S... HOWEVER:

I used to decorate the borders of all my notebooks with a very similar design. My hypothesis is that this symbol was (is?) so popular because it looks cool, and nothing more. As about who used it first, it probably was independently discovered by a lot of people (like... thousands or so).

The thing with which I used to decorate my notebooks looks like that:
Spoiler :

We used to call it "Greek ornament", I don't know why... it looked... Greek to us. And somehow it still looks somewhat Greek to me after all those years. Don't know why. We had two ways of doing it, this was "continuous" and I could have also done it "weaving" - each second connection you would do it the other way (the two bottom lines going up and the top one going down, rather than the opposite which I drew in Paint and posted here).

That's the same thing, or at least a continuation from what I learned. You could set up the lines to be an S and close it off, or keep the pattern going. I never really got into it, but it was interesting to watch how zealous some of these essites were.

Well, Fifty, when I saw the title of this thread I was curious what you could be talking about (the dollar sign? the cursive capital S? the ampersand? the G-clef?), and all my hunches were pretty lame, so I didn't have high expectations for this thread.

Then I saw the picture. If I had been drinking something at the time, I would have spit it out. I was jolted with a feeling I imagine I will get only a few times in my life, when someone is able to take something I had taken deeply, profoundly for granted, turn it completely on its head, and slap it in the face.

Congratulations, Fifty, on starting the only thread on CFC so far that, upon my opening it, had the same effect on my psyche as I imagine a three-week fast would.

It looks like we, those who don't live in english-speaking areas, have never seen this S.

I live in Australia and I have not sen it, so that is not true.

Have you read the thread? Several people from non-english speaking areas, including myself, have said they´ve seen the symbol and that they used to draw it in elementary school.

I live in Australia and I have not sen it, so that is not true.
He´s saying that people outside English-speaking areas have not seen it. He´s NOT saying that ALL people within English speaking areas HAVE seen it.

Top Bottom