What's your occupation in the FfH universe?

Transferred to Erebus as my current self? Brewer. In whichever of the following societies that seemed least likely to be beseiged: Elohim, Kuriotates, or Grigori. Because I'm big on not being invaded or otherwise inconvenienced.

But, what would I have turned into had I been raised in each society? This one's a little tougher, but I'll try...
To begin with, know that I'm currently a manufacturing engineer. I also homebrew, garden, triathlon, and Civ as hobbies. FYI.

Amurites: I definitely would have become a mage. Everyone else wants to be, and I'm gifted, so why not? I would probably advance to become a field mage and lose interest in advancement. Then I'd get stuck in that position until I got killed by someone else's stray fireball.

Balseraphs: My mechanical aptitude is noticed, and I'm trained as an engineer. I design passenger rides and equipment for shows. I grow world-weary and sullen by the constant flow of danger and chicanery around me. I cash out my money to retire to a smaller farming town.

Bannor: There is no way that I do NOT end up either jailed, killed, or brainwashed by the state. Period.

Calabim: I decide that since positions in the power structure of society are at a premium, I take a high-risk/high-reward position as a Bloodpet.

Clan of Embers: Something that keeps me away from all the other savages where I can live on my wits and not be punished for them. Scout, perhaps?

Doviello: Similar to Clan. Perhaps I try to become a respected (i.e. useful) beta male by being an advisor or something.

Elohim: I think I end up a seige engine engineer here. Or possibly a brewer.

Grigori: More or less same as Elohim.

Hippus: Almost definitely a brewer and/or bar owner. Got to keep all those horsemen happy.

Illians: Yikes. Dunno. Let's say... herbalist. Just because I got nothing else.

Khazad: Engineer, but not for mining. Do they need other engineers? Armor designer, maybe. Or accountant to keep all that gold itemized.

Kuriotates: Civil engineer.

Lanun: Brewer or distiller. Or ship designer.

Ljosalfar: There really isn't a good place for me in elven society. Is exile an occupation? Let's say... archer.

Luchuirp: Golem assembly engineer. Not golem design. Not golem repair. Golem assembly. And I'd be good at it, too.

Malakim: I got nothing here, too.

Sheiam: I'm pretty sure I end up in building construction here. Can't tell you why, I just see it.

Sidar: Engineer AND brewer AND herbalist AND mage AND giggolo. And maybe I'd even find a way to make them all intermingle in a good way.

Svaltafar: No matter what my occupation is here, I'm pretty sure I end up penniless and exiled. Or executed for someone else's crime. One of the two.

Emperor of all mankind and all the subspecies and their subsidiaries. (C) (R) ^TM

Taxes set at 150%, work fool!

@ Legate Damar: I wonder why you were not a brewer if you were Khazad. Thats the most-beer-dependant-civ after all. :p

Their Units even get XP :eek: from bar-brawls in their breweries. So their breweries really seem to be a famous place to hang out.

Perhaps brewery-engineer. :p

Bannor: There is no way that I do NOT end up either jailed, killed, or brainwashed by the state. Period.

Actually, if you're born and raised there, that's not nearly as certain. People from a different society (especially one from the more developed parts of our world) definitely would risk everything up to death, though.

Also, I don't think they do brainwashing as such unless you really stretch the definition.

I bet the schools teach the children more about how great Bannor and the Order is compared to all the other civs and religions than it teaches actual knowledge. Discipline is probably key, and they probably start their classes with some sort of pledge to the state.

To the extent that the Bannor even have schools. I can hardly picture a survivalist militaristic feudal society locked in constant, epic religious war places much stock in compulsory primary level education (as we think of it) when time could be much better spent teaching the youth to fight, farm, and build things.

Perhaps they are taught to read and write (at least those who have need of such things), but I imagine more advanced forms of education are reserved for the Church, the Orders and those who can afford it (timewise more than anything).

School would hardly be a necessary vehicle for indoctrination when you have an all-encompassing state religion and compulsory military training (not to mention service).

I was thinking a lot like Hitler Jugend. The kids get indoctrined into the military and nationalist thoughtframe.

I'm talking once they get organized. When in hell, and the early time after, its too chaotic and children are probably home schooled so to speak. Boys probably start fighting around age of 11, and girls soon after. Girls being the defenders of the younger children, Boys being the defense of the girls, and the young women the defense of the boys, while the young men defend the young women, and the adult men and women fighting in the frontlines.

I think even after they get organised, not a lot of resources are going to go towards an essentially unnecessary primary education. The Bannor do not need an educated middle class, they need an educated military elite, practical people who can produce all the stuff necessary to keep army and empire running (i.e. farmers and craftsmen) and loads and loads of cannon fodder. Literacy and numeric competence beyond the very, very basic, are luxuries they can ill afford.

I bet the schools teach the children more about how great Bannor and the Order is compared to all the other civs and religions than it teaches actual knowledge.

Ideological indoctrination is not at all incompatible with technical knowledge (see USSR, as long as we aren't talking about social sciences or biology). I imagine that Bannor education is going to be mostly in the hands of the Order ecclesiarchy, but regardless of everything else it is certainly going to have a heavy emphasis on combat and military sciences.

I suppose that on higher levels of development the political elites would also be taught the finer points of Order political ideology and such, but until then it's probably going to be a toss up between traditional home education and church schools.

I can't understand why everyone is so hard on the Bannor. They have a reason for being authoritarian; they just escaped from Hell itself a few centuries ago and if they're not vigilant it will follow them to Erebus and take them back along with the rest of mankind. Hardly a mean cause, I think.

I never said it was a mean cause. I said they were feudal militaristic survivalists locked in eternal religious combat - which they are.

I can't understand why everyone is so hard on the Bannor. They have a reason for being authoritarian; they just escaped from Hell itself a few centuries ago and if they're not vigilant it will follow them to Erebus and take them back along with the rest of mankind. Hardly a mean cause, I think.

Sure, they've got a good reason to be that way, but that doesn't mean I'd like to live there. Heck, Tebryn Arbandi has a good reason to be that way (he was subjected to centuries of torture, and he'll be subject to an eternity if he doesn't end the world), but I'd rather not sign up with the Sheaim.

That's very different. While Tebryn might have every reason to do what he does (though I think he's still being a pathetic weakling about it), the ones who follow him don't have such excuses. The Bannor, meanwhile, are a group, and furthermore a group that fights for its collective continued existence rather than the end of the world and the salvation of one single individual.

Rationally speaking, joining the Bannor makes much more sense than joining the Sheaim, especially if Erebus is being a particularly nasty place in that particular iteration (and hey, it's dark fantasy, isn't it?). Chances of survival are much higher there than on your own (or, you know, with the Sheaim - if for different reasons) as long as you follow the rules.

A road builder until assassinated -- then I'm an angel!

Vampiric werewolf, tied to the child of Eurabatres and Abashi the way Cardith is to Eurabatres. Channeling III and Arcane for sure.

Dreaming big.

If I had any idea how Python and XML work, you know I'd take that werewolf civ floating around and mesh it with the Calabim and Kuriotates for Great Justice.

Call us the Eternal Kingdom of Nym.

A Calabim Vampire lord, or an Amurite Chanter

Kuriotate foreign minister

Edited as of 2013
I'd actually be a disciple of Mulcarn.

Top Bottom