Which book are you reading now? Volume XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitler, weird dude. He liked to sleep in very cold rooms, by the way.

He inspires a lot of morbid interest. One Frankfurt school associate, Erich Fromm, believed he was a necrophiliac.

I guess WW2 produced lots of opportunity for him then.

Only after forcing Denmark and Sweden and Finland into a Scandinavian Union under Oslo.

Clearly Sweden should be supreme - it has the most central location. :)

So Leicester is the most supreme city in England? Fair enough! We'll move our embassy tomorrow.

At least go for Tamworth, which is also in the Midlands and used to be the capital of the ancient kingdom of Mercia. :)

Finished another two:

What Every Person Should Know About WAR by Hedges - It's a bit morbid and unsettling to read. Basically, it's structured in a question-and-answer and describes army recruitment, service, getting shot and shelled, what happens to your body if you die on the field, etc. and it's sourced to army manuals, literature, and news reports for casualty statistics. Chickenhawks should be reading this.

The Immortal Emperor by Nicol - This is a relatively short work on the final East Roman emperor, Constantine XI, focusing on his time as a despot in Mistra and later as emperor, particularly during the Turkish siege. Also, a chapter covers the mystery/legends/conflicting accounts of his death and final resting place. It references several Greek sources and biographies that haven't, to my knowledge, been published in English. I don't know who first recommended it to me because I've waited for a long while to get my hands on it--it's apparently a rare find in the libraries and it's fairly expensive on Amazon (often runs around $25-30 even in paperback form). I'm not in tune enough with late-empire scholarship to characterize his account on the events, but I liked it.

Finished another two:

What Every Person Should Know About WAR by Hedges - It's a bit morbid and unsettling to read. Basically, it's structured in a question-and-answer and describes army recruitment, service, getting shot and shelled, what happens to your body if you die on the field, etc. and it's sourced to army manuals, literature, and news reports for casualty statistics. Chickenhawks should be reading this.

That actually sounds really interesting.

Went straight to my list.

I think it was a good read. It tells you where most wounds are, describes other soldiers' sensations of getting shot, how you will be triaged, what PTSD is like, all kinds of things like that. Even down to latrines in the field.

Finished another two:

What Every Person Should Know About WAR by Hedges - It's a bit morbid and unsettling to read. c. and it's sourced to army manuals, literature, and news reports for casualty statistics. Chickenhawks should be reading this.

Why? Theirs aren't the bodies in bags. So long as the defense contractors get their money, Congress gets its money, and everybody is happy save for the dead kid and his family.

I read Hedges once...Empire of Illusion. I found it dispiriting and now avoid him.

I'm plugging through The Grid: A Journey Through the Heart of Our Electrified World. Not as informative as I'd hoped so far..

Yeah in my experience, once you really delve into what war - any war - means - themes of good and bad sides tend to evaporate into shallow nothingness.

"Assad is evil - we will show him and what is right be killing thousands and thousands of families. I mean, by killing hundreds of evil people and thousands and thousands of families by accident."

The recent French hits did - as I predicted- kill many innocents. No one reports about that.

But hooray vengeance and justice!

It's such an absurd world.

There is only so much precision in bombing. The killing of civilians is a foregone conclusion when explosives are involved.

Yeah in my experience, once you really delve into what war - any war - means - themes of good and bad sides tend to evaporate into shallow nothingness.

"Assad is evil - we will show him and what is right be killing thousands and thousands of families. I mean, by killing hundreds of evil people and thousands and thousands of families by accident."

The recent French hits did - as I predicted- kill many innocents. No one reports about that.

But hooray vengeance and justice!

It's such an absurd world.

Assad has killed at least a hundred thousand, displaced millions, is starving Palestinian refugee camps and torturing hundreds of people. So a hundred people died in the Paris attacks? That's what you call Wednesday in Damascus.

Amazon is selling ebooks of seemingly everything Arthur C. Clarke has ever written for $1.99 each, so I got Childhood's End and Rendezvous with Rama. Also The Red: First Light by Linda Nagata, military sci fi published in 2013.

I recommend Future Visions to sci fi fans, not just because it's free. Authors: Harry Shum, Rick Rashid, Seanan McGuire, Greg Bear, Elizabeth Bear, Nancy Kress, Jack McDevitt, Blue Delliquanti, Robert J. Sawyer, David Brin, and Ann Leckie.

Started on Terry Pratchett's Strata. Enqueued Jane Austen's Emma, hoping to use this as a guide.
I gave up on the Churchill biography in about 1938. It was simply repetitive.

So today I started Hitler at Home, which examines Hitler's various apartments and so on in terms of interior decorating. The author views this as another side of Hitler's deliberate manipulation of his pubic image.

Hitler, weird dude. He liked to sleep in very cold rooms, by the way.
*giggles*

Why? Theirs aren't the bodies in bags. So long as the defense contractors get their money, Congress gets its money, and everybody is happy save for the dead kid and his family.

I read Hedges once...Empire of Illusion. I found it dispiriting and now avoid him.

I can't tell if you are being tongue-in-cheek or not. :(

I mean, I strongly, strongly, suspect it, but you can never tell on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom