While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, fair enough.

On a related and possibly amusing note, Russian people aren't sheep! Russian people, in standard Russian liberal intellectual parlance, are "bydlo", i.e. cattle.

Link to video.

Sean Bean can be whatever your politics want him to be to make this metaphor work.

The important thing is he was once killed by cows. And that's hilarious.

Yeah, riots can get nasty, but let's consider the possibility that he had that coming, being clearly a member of the exploiting class.

At this point it'd be easier to start naming things that haven't killed Sean Bean.

Like it or not we are all part of the "masses" (a deeply offensive term in this context, really). And our governments draw their legitimacy from the consent of the governed, which unless I've missed something has not yet been revoked.

I understand that I am a part of the masses. That fact doesn't add to the conversation we're having.

As for the consent of the governed: I do not consent, yet I am forced at gunpoint to hand over my wealth and abide by arbitrary rules put in place by this group of thugs called government. This is why a government is not different than a gang of thugs. If I no longer consent, I should have the option to opt out and not be locked up in a cage at gunpoint for doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_1nbahAts

Enjoy.

"Opting out" of an orderly, governed society which makes the accumulation of wealth possible in the first place is tantamount to theft.

If it wasn't for the existence of governments, most of us would not be alive. Our entire society would pretty much not exist. Sure they do horrible things sometimes, but if it wasn't for their existence all this would not exist.

I know I would probably be dead if it wasn't for the existence of a government that pays for disabled people's surgeries.

"Opting out" of an orderly, governed society which makes the accumulation of wealth possible in the first place is tantamount to theft.
Thank you :) I always wanted someone to say it.

Basically, yes, governments provide many useful services. Of course, that isn't why they are able to govern. There are some people that understand this, yes; there are also people who just never think to question it, or who believe that the state has a value of its own (there are many ideologies that tie into this); and there are people who withhold their consent, but don't do anything about it, because they are afraid of guns. I wonder which of those reasons is really dominant?

I think "consent of the governed" really isn't the right phrase though. It's more like "acquiescence of the majority", but that doesn't sound as freedomy and inspirational, I guess.

Yeah, in practice that's probably more accurate.

In the interests of it occurring to me, and because why not, I present the NES forum as high school cliques:

Principal - Lord Iggy
(Drunken) Assistant Principal - bombshoo
Social Studies Teacher - North King
The Cool Teachers - Imago, ChiefDesigner
Valedictorian - Symphony D.
Salutatorian - Crezth
The Nerdy Jock - Luckymoose
The Young Republicans - Thlayli, Jehoshua, EQandcivfanatic
The Rich Kids - Nuka, yui108, TheLizardKing, ZeletDude
The Punk Kids - Masada, azale, Amon Savag, Kraznaya, Karalysia, das, Shadowbound
Token Hipster - Lord of Elves
Foreign Exchange Students - Defacto, erez, JoanK, thomas.berubeg, Grandkhan, JK Stockholme
Stoner - Daftpanzer

If you're not on here then I guess no one likes you or something. Feel bad.

*Principal

Also everyone loves me idk what you're blabbering on about.

I guess EQ is young at heart.

Stealing what? Order?

All those useful services that someone attributes to the government would be of better quality, more efficient, with better oversight, and more accountability, if left to the free market.

Erez I'm guessing that you believe that unless government holds guns to people's heads, they will never contribute to charity that would help you? Hogwash.

m.t. government does not allow for accumulation of wealth to exist. In fact government agents live off the wealth you accumulate that they steal from you. Do you really believe that people recognize your computer as yours simply because there is a government in place? Hogwash.

All those useful services that someone attributes to the government would be of better quality, more efficient, with better oversight, and more accountability, if left to the free market.

Erez I'm guessing that you believe that unless government holds guns to people's heads, they will never contribute to charity that would help you? Hogwash.

m.t. government does not allow for accumulation of wealth to exist. In fact government agents live off the wealth you accumulate that they steal from you. Do you really believe that people recognize your computer as yours simply because there is a government in place? Hogwash.

Lawd almighty.

Life sure was better back when all roads were private toll roads.

I guess technically it depends on whether or not the cost of the tolls were greater or lesser than the portion of one's income taken in taxes for infrastructure spending.

Plus, you know, the tolls that the government levies anyway. At least 20% of which goes to that guy that's standing by the side of the road while the other one flashes you around the clearly marked road cones.

This is an insipid debate. If you hate law and order so much go filibuster your perfect, Producers Only anarcho-capitalist polity in some unfortunate brown person-country.

Until then, sit down and shut up.

Firstly the word "hogwash" is really silly so can you not use it.

Secondly, explain to me how privatizing everything would benefit society? How are private roads, police and fire forces not RIPE for abuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom