White House readies plan for $12 bn emergency aid to farmers caught in Trump’s escalating trade wars

Did the US government just find $12 billion lying around after the military spending increase and tax cut, or are they going to borrow the money from China ?
The same congresscritters who whimper and whine about all the deficit they created will just create more deficit, and then whimper and whine about it and explain as the reason that the poor get too much food stamps.

False. They will get whatever subsidies and visas they ask for. The rules do not apply to Republicans and their supporters.

This is wrong. Small scale farmers are going begging for labor all over the country. Crops are not being harvested, and are left to rot.

Farmers aren't going to swing many elections. Not enough of them. But the rural farm community as a whole votes against their own pocketbooks. And shows no signs of changing.

This is wrong. Small scale farmers are going begging for labor all over the country. Crops are not being harvested, and are left to rot.

Farmers aren't going to swing many elections. Not enough of them. But the rural farm community as a whole votes against their own pocketbooks. And shows no signs of changing.
And if small scale farms collapse and are scooped up by bigger conglomerations then the Trump and Co are still winning. Sorry if the little guys can't play the lobbying game as hard as the big guys. That's a feature, not a bug.

If we're talking about the "intelligentsia" of the parties, so to speak, the national politicians, people in the prominent think-tanks, that kind of thing, then my position is that most Democrats are honestly ideologically committed to deficit reduction and will do things to reduce the deficit when they're in power regardless of whether it's politically smart or economically sound. Some Republicans are also like that but in the main the Republicans are cynically committed to using the issue to derail anything a Democratic administration does while ignoring it themselves.
OK I got it. I'd agree with your position on the Republicans, and I'd actually go as far as to say that probably more Democrats than Republicans are ideologically committed to deficit reduction based on a belief that its "the right thing to do", but I'm sticking to leaning towards most of Congress being in the more cynical camp.

But assuming that you're right and I'm wrong (a possibility I don't dismiss) that actually brings something else up for me. This may seem unrelated/out-of-left-field, but stick with me here... Trump just mouth-farted that he's worried that Russia will hack the next election to help Democrats. I initially just dismissed this out of hand as his usual verbal diarrhea, but today I was thinking about Putin's endgame and how it would best be served. I mean the Democrats are already struggling with a crisis of confidence in the electoral/political system, especially given the shadow of Russian meddling, right? And that, in part is supposed to be one of Putin's main goals. So wouldn't a bunch of Democratic successes do the same thing to the Conservative voters? If they view the election as the illegitimate result of Russian meddling, wouldn't that possibly escalate the precarious nature of the situation? I mean you have liberals and Democrats (you and me included) grumbling that the Democrats need to get more cut-throat, more cynical and start playing the same dirty games as the Republicans, right? So what happens when the Republicans/conservative start howling that "the liberals are playing dirty we need to play dirty too!"?

Anyway, to bring this around back to the point. If you're right, and the Democrats have mostly been being genuine about the deficit, while the Republicans have been the ones playing cynical... then what happens if the Democrats actually become as wholesale cynical as the Republicans? Does that, in your view, actually improve the monetary policy? Cause we both seem to think it might improve the political situation.

So what happens when the Republicans/conservative start howling that "the liberals are playing dirty we need to play dirty too!"?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Spoiler :
;)

Start?

I've been posting on the Democrats for years, man, and I'm a relatively liberal party flopping voting Republican in a "you must choose primary affiliation" state.

And they were definitely pretty words. I do miss the rhetoric of hope. I think it had value. People aren't listening to it as much though. They're on the internet a lot, and as Mr. Rogers always said... you take part of what you watch with you.

Well, then you get Illinois. We're certainly a laudable people, could be worse! :lol::hug:

I like going for visits. The hospitals are a wonder. The museums are a treat. Credit where it's due.

The politicians to my east do attempt to defund the road budget "for nowhere" every year, but hey, that's the game right? They'll get the water before the roads though, some of them realize where their stuff comes from. They don't drink Nowhere well water though.

Get them back into Cell Phone Field. The Sox need some attendance. Now that you mention it though, living on a gravel road does tend up to the quality of import to people that are willing to buy/fix/build on existing lots instead of chip'n'dipping and paving over for McMansions.

It's too bad the politicians are bankrupting the city and state.
I was so used to how clean the city was, my first trip to New York, I couldn't believe how filthy it was.

It's too bad the politicians are bankrupting the city and state.
I was so used to how clean the city was, my first trip to New York, I couldn't believe how filthy it was.
I recently saw a new game show where the basic idea was you got asked a question and the contestants along with the celebrity panel had to secretly write down what came to mind. Then the answers were all revealed and they would compare to see if any of those answers matched the majority of responses from a survey of the public that had been taken earlier.

One question was "If there was a perfume was named 'New York City', what would it smell like?" The contestant, along with seven of the eight panelists guessed "urine (pee, piss, etc)".

Their answers matched the majority response from the survey :lol:

Reactions: rah
OK I got it. I'd agree with your position on the Republicans, and I'd actually go as far as to say that probably more Democrats than Republicans are ideologically committed to deficit reduction based on a belief that its "the right thing to do", but I'm sticking to leaning towards most of Congress being in the more cynical camp.

But assuming that you're right and I'm wrong (a possibility I don't dismiss) that actually brings something else up for me. This may seem unrelated/out-of-left-field, but stick with me here... Trump just mouth-farted that he's worried that Russia will hack the next election to help Democrats. I initially just dismissed this out of hand as his usual verbal diarrhea, but today I was thinking about Putin's endgame and how it would best be served. I mean the Democrats are already struggling with a crisis of confidence in the electoral/political system, especially given the shadow of Russian meddling, right? And that, in part is supposed to be one of Putin's main goals. So wouldn't a bunch of Democratic successes do the same thing to the Conservative voters? If they view the election as the illegitimate result of Russian meddling, wouldn't that possibly escalate the precarious nature of the situation? I mean you have liberals and Democrats (you and me included) grumbling that the Democrats need to get more cut-throat, more cynical and start playing the same dirty games as the Republicans, right? So what happens when the Republicans/conservative start howling that "the liberals are playing dirty we need to play dirty too!"?

Anyway, to bring this around back to the point. If you're right, and the Democrats have mostly been being genuine about the deficit, while the Republicans have been the ones playing cynical... then what happens if the Democrats actually become as wholesale cynical as the Republicans? Does that, in your view, actually improve the monetary policy? Cause we both seem to think it might improve the political situation.

It's much worse than this even. The Democrats don't actually have to do anything crooked. Trump and Russia have planted the seeds of discord. Through their own crookedness, they created cracks and cast shadows of doubt over the whole enterprise. From here on out they can gaslight all the way to the bank by claiming everything the Democrats accomplish is because of Russian interference and illegal voters.

Democrats have another nasty habit in that they tend go as viciously after their own over small transgressions as they go after Republicans for major transgressions. Al Franken springs to mind as a good example of this.

So between the self-destruction and the 30% of Americans that will always back everything that Trump's said, our democratic process is heading headlong into crisis.

and they (the senate anyway) vote on trade treaties...but they also passed a law allowing the prez to impose tariffs in the name of national security
It seems to me that this is unconstitutional, because tariffs (even if excused as being intended for national security) are revenue measures which must originate in bills passed first in the House of Representatives. The Senate could strike such measures down, but cannot constitutionally even propose taxes muhc less give that power to someone else.

No. Decades ago, they delegated that power exclusively to the Fed.
Most of the money creation is left to the Fed, but the Treasury can still mint coins with more than their metallic value. There are laws limiting the number and maximum fiat value of gold, silver, or copper alloy coins, but the treasury could in theory (without even needing Congressional approval) mint pure Platinum coins of unlimited fiat monetary value. (They could even opt to make a single platinum coin legally worth more than the GDP of all countries in the world combined, but might have trouble getting people to accept it or give them any change.) Of course, the Fed was given its role through ordinary laws rather than Constitutional amendments, so Congress could pass another ordinary statute to change or eliminate it and instead issue debt free currency.

Didnt Obama float that idea of minting a one off coin with a fixed value in order to bailout the US monetary system back during the financial crisis ?
It not exactly a good precedence though, As with the Romans they debased their coins initially to redress their values but later on they kept doing it too print more money. I can easily imagine once the gates are open it will be abused to no end.

Fed would be better of minting Uranium coins, as these will hold better value as its actually a useful metal.

Didnt Obama float that idea of minting a one off coin with a fixed value in order to bailout the US monetary system back during the financial crisis ?
It not exactly a good precedence though, As with the Romans they debased their coins initially to redress their values but later on they kept doing it too print more money. I can easily imagine once the gates are open it will be abused to no end.

Fed would be better of minting Uranium coins, as these will hold better value as its actually a useful metal.

An idea was floated to Obama to mint a $1 trillion dollar coin to pay down the debt and thus avoid a then-pending default caused by the debt ceiling. Obama had doubts about its legality; I didn't.
BTW: The US is the only nation in the world that sets itself an artificial debt ceiling. Thanks GOP. :hatsoff:

But Reagan proved that deficits dont matter /s
The Irony is that Republicans have blown out the deficit to more then a Trillion, and they planning more tax cuts for October.

Anyways, the US is due for a Recession, financial crisis under Republicans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom