Who else really really hates random events?

The quests are nice, the rest are just boring and repetitive s h i t. The novelty wears off quickly in marathon games when you get twenty "accidents" in the same mine during the game.

Yeah.
I play on Marathon, and that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Every single turn, something is destroyed.
Maybe they just broke Marathon random events, like they originally broke Marathon spies.

Yeah.
I play on Marathon, and that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Every single turn, something is destroyed.
Maybe they just broke Marathon random events, like they originally broke Marathon spies.

Marathon never seemed like it was balanced correctly to me.

I'm of the opinion that small/standard map, normal/epic speed is more or less what the game (its time frames, resource usage, unit movement points,) is balanced for.

Every single time I have the feature enabled, all I get is... improvements and buildings destroyed. Every 5 minutes. While all my enemies get things like improved units, improved tiles, etc.

It kinda reminds me of Mario Party. How you can't play it with friends because at the end of it you wind up choking your best friend with the controller cord going "YOU STOLE MY STAR!"

Why are the random events so mean? Are they just heavily unbalanced?

:eek:

You take Mario Party too seriously.

I play huge/marathon, and my first BtS game was full of only beneficial events for me, though I saw plenty of yucky stuff happening to others. It wasn't until subsequent games that I had any balance of bad stuff occuring. The bad stuff is usually easy to counter and is of (usually) little consequence.

sh** happens, and is much more realistic,there should be more of it. OTOH, I am a micromanager, and I enjoy the vagaries in the events.

Sometimes, random events make me feel like destroying my computer, especially when my forge is torched or I get repeated slave revolts while I'm building a great wonder. At times, I even start "wondering" wether the program isn't specifically driven to prevent me from completing the wonder...

Still, I keep them on. They spice up the game.
The quests are highly questionable, though. Many of them imply building too many cities or constructing unneeded troops, for moderate advantages in return.

Furthermore, I always tend to get the same ones, while the AI gets strange events I can't even figure out (in my last game, there was something about a giant beast lurking around the Japanese empire... :confused: )

I like them all except the barbarian uprising one....6 barbarian swords at my borders when I don't even have axes yet (lack of copper)...basically game over!!!

(in my last game, there was something about a giant beast lurking around the Japanese empire... )

GODZILLA!

I heartily welcome the random events (even the bad ones! Typically I take them as signs that I need to change something or address a problem I haven't noticed). The quests, imo, don't push you beyond what you can handle, you just have to develop the infrastructure (courthouses, markets, etc) to support any expansion necessary for completion.

I HATED random events at first. Especially the effing barbarian uprisings that would happen just outside of my capital, or my first settlement besides the capital. Here I am with like, one warrior, and all the sudden it's pretty much game over.

However, I found out that money plays a HUGE part in how your random events turn out. The more money you have, the more "good" options happen and the more you can make "bad" events have little or no impact. I think this was to keep players like me from playing right at the cusp of gold/beakers and maintain a treasury the whole game of less than 10 gp. If you never have the money to change a bad event into a non-event, or a meh event into a cool event, then yeah, those random events are always going to suck.

Random events are ok, just wish they would make it so, that those slave revolts and other bad things, dont almost always accure at the capital

I like them all except the barbarian uprising one....6 barbarian swords at my borders when I don't even have axes yet (lack of copper)...basically game over!!!

That is one event that needs to be looked at because there needs to be some sort of opportunity for you to be able to handle the troops. Now if you have the troops and you somehow leave one city poorly guarded, then that is too bad and I think that is what the Barbarian horde is really meant to be about.

That is one event that needs to be looked at because there needs to be some sort of opportunity for you to be able to handle the troops. Now if you have the troops and you somehow leave one city poorly guarded, then that is too bad and I think that is what the Barbarian horde is really meant to be about.
actually the triggers are set very early - only one civ needs to know the unlocking techs - so it is probably meant to be very hard, on the other hand with the swords: it won't occur before at least one civ knows iron working so usually you should at least know bronze - the problem still remains though that without copper nearby that won't help you much and with the improved code were those barbs now beeline for a nearby city they will just raise it - and there is not much you can do except for having good defenses (and be it archers) up very early and that means 3+ per city or you won't survive the uprisings. I am not too sure they balanced it too well, especially seeing that you have AIs being eliminated by these events early on...

I played two games with random events. Every event that happened to me was bad, and most of the events were slave revolts. I turned random events off, and have never looked back. I dislike most randomness in single player games, anyway.

I played two games with random events. Every event that happened to me was bad, and most of the events were slave revolts. I turned random events off, and have never looked back.
the thing with slave revolts is that they are very harsh and I believe that this was included to discourage people from using the Slavery Civic for all of their games (aka nerfing the Slavery civic) since they can only occur while in this civic.
Now if you think that a specific event like this is too much and want to either reduce its rate of occurring or disable it while still enabling other events you can do the following:
copy
...\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Events\CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml
to
\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\xml\Events\CIV4EventTriggerInfos.xml
open that one with a texteditor and search for:
Code:
EVENTTRIGGER_SLAVE_REVOLT
(or the name of the one you dislike ;))
within this trigger (a trigger starts with <EventTriggerInfo> and ends with </EventTriggerInfo>) look for the following two values:
Code:
<iPercentGamesActive>80</iPercentGamesActive>
<iWeight>500</iWeight>
changing the value of <iPercentGamesActive> will change the number of games which can actually have this event at all - if you want to disable it altogether you can just change that to 0 if you want a few games with it set it to a lower number, if want it active in all games set it to 100
changing the value of <iWeight> will change the chance that this event triggers within a game that can have it, lowering it will decrease the chance per turn, increasing it will increase the chance per turn, it should in any case be a positive value...

There really is something broken with the "massive uprising" events, because more often than not they tend to happen at a point where I can do absolutely nothing, nada, zilch about them.
Last time, it was about 3200 BC, my capital was busy producing its first worker (I play Epic), when 6 archers suddenly pop out of nowhere 3 tiles away from my capital city. Not much fun here... Of course, one could say: why didn't you silly build 5-6 warriors before your first worker? But there's no way you can compete on higher levels without building a worker asap. So, it's pretty much instant death - and a broken feature. I wish I could at least negotiate with them (you could do that in Civ2, iirc) and bribe them to go away (or, even better, to go bother someone else).

I'm also with the ones who really like the random events. The bad random events are very minor in effect compared to the good random events.

Although I also agree that the massive uprisings can occur much too early in the game.

Top Bottom