1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who should own the date of 9/11?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Neomega, Sep 12, 2012.

1. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

This thread should be in the Tavern, because there is little to discuss. Clearly, there is no pwnage on calendar dates other than different religions, governments, NGOs have certain dates marked for various reasons. Clearly the progression of the Earth through it's elliptical orbit around the Sun is not owned by anyone individual any more than abstract numbers are owned. We could ask for a UN ruling on it, but that'd be pointless.

2. Neomega

Neomega Deity

Mass media companies cater to the shareholders first, aka the banks. Profit comes whether they discuss 9/11/1973 or Melanie Griffiths new dress. Question is, which one is damaging to the interests of the banks, and which one is beneficial to the interests of the banks.

3. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._intervention_in_Chile#1973_coup

It seems like you don't really even know much about the 1973 coup or the subsequent US reactions to it. It's not quite as clear-cut as you've made it out to be and the US government has released documents relating to it and spoken about it publicly so the situation isn't really how you present it.

Another detail you may not be aware of, the US does not run the Nobel committee. Henry Kissinger is a pretty controversial figure and Richard Nixon is not at all admired in the US so the idea these guys are heroes is false.

Finding a youtube video of a random Chilean guy doesn't mean that you now speak for all of them. Even if you did, that doesn't make the victims of Sept. 11th in New York responsible for the events in Chile, for one thing the CIA was involved which means it was not something most US citizens were even aware of at the time.

Saying that Americans do not deserve a day of mourning because of an event almost all of them had nothing to do with is offensive.

4. illram

illram Deity

9/11 was a traumatic event for a huge country that is still fresh in the minds of almost every American who was old enough to witness and remember it. The fact that it happened in a large nation with a globe-spanning media presence that is very visible to the entire world means there is more "9/11" saturation than some may think is warranted since the vast majority of the world is obviously not American. There is also the fact that US power projection means that things that mightily affect and change the US vis a vis foreign policy will probably touch more of the world than, say, a coup in Chile.

It makes perfect sense that in the US, 9/11 means 9/11/2001. Elsewhere in the world, it might not. If you watch alot of English-speaking TV, you're bound to see a lot of America-themed news, so on 9/11 you will see a lot of memorials and tributes and discussion of what many Americans consider the most significant world event of our generation regardless of your political leanings. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yep.. but in the end nobody really can "own" a date, unless we're talking about the fruit.

And the U.S. does in many ways dominate the internet, but it is also a global phenomenon, so different symbols will mean different things to different people.

6. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

No, no, no. You're all wrong. 9/11 belongs to Catalonia. It has been our national day for a 100 years or so, and it is the anniversary of the fall of Barcelona to the Bourbons in 1714, ending with the federal-like system that let Catalonia, Aragon, Valencia and the Baleares have their own laws apart from Castille. Every single Catalan understands 9/11 as that.

Disclaimer: Nobody can own a date.

7. illram

illram Deity

Obviously no one can own a date, my point is certain dates carry more significance to certain people, and if America sees something as more significant than others, for better or worse the world will hear all about it.

Not to mention that a Brit will see 9/11 and think "November 9, who cares?"

8. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Well he didn't do it all in one day.

So I hereby declare that Chile owns every single day of the year in which Pinochet was in power!

On the other hand I looked up the Wikipedia entry for 9/11 and actually it seems Ireland lost slightly more people than the Chileans in the siege of Siege of Drogheda on September 11, 1649.

Or wait was I just looked up and saw that 12,000 people died in the bombing of Darmstadt on September 11, 1944. So does this mean the Germans own 9/11?

Or the Turks who lost 20,000 lives attacking the city of Vienna on September 11?

Are we just counting civilian deaths here? Do we need a tie breaker?

9. JohannaK

YOU ARE FORGETTING 9/11/1714!!!! [pissed]
    Or as everyone except 'Muricans say, 11/9/1714. :smug:

10. Bugfatty300

Okay fine. If you really want it so bad then you can have 9/11.

Here it is in all it's 9/11ish glory. Enjoy.

Spoiler :

11. JohannaK

:wow: Dude, that's just soo...
    Spoiler :
    :lmao:

12. Bugfatty300

Well I think what I've learned from taking part in these 9/11 threads is that there's more than enough crying bald eagles to heal the wounds of all 9/11 victims. Not Just Americans and Chileans. I just hope my tasteful artwork can put the 9/11 (v.1714) issue to rest.

13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I wonder why the Polish eagle never cries. Maybe he just drinks heavily during times of national mourning instead.

14. del62

del62 Deity

Wasnt 9/11 the aniversiry of when 300 bombers, bombed England, by Austrians (like Holy Kong) and Germans in 1940

Strangely from what I have read Sepember the 11th 1941 was used in the Austrian's regime's declaration of war on America

Spoiler :
    Please note Holy Kong is a purely fictional character and bears no resemblance with any CFC Poster (thats for mods reading only)

Moderator Action: No trolling other members in the Chamber (not even veiled)
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

15. utgotye

utgotye Warlord

Why are people actually arguing about this? The OP would seem to have an agenda to push and as such the likelihood that you, I or anyone else will be able to have a reasonable conversation about this or any other anti-American thoughts he wishes to spiel. Just ignore him. There are way more important things to discuss before one would ever need to talk about this.

16. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

The whole thread is of no importance. People in Chile don't care about the WTC attack and people in the US don't care about the coup in Chile. In the US 9/11 means the deadliest terrorist attack ever. In Chile it might mean the end of democratic government for some time. There's no clash over who owns what. It's relative to where you are.

However, I doubt they call it the "9/11 Coup" in Chile. As far as as I know it's always been the "1973 Chilean coup d'état". But in the US, and mostly everywhere else, 9/11 = terrorist attack. And it's not just owned by the victims. It's also the day that US international prestige hit a major bump due to the events outlined in the OP.

17. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

The family of John Ritter.

RIP :salute:

18. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I'm dubious of the idea that the Chilean refer to it as the "1973 CHILEAN coup d'etat". That's what people in OTHER countries would call it...

19. del62

del62 Deity

Oh Ghettoes where liquidated under the overall control of an Austrian on another 9/11, I guess this is more significant from a european perspective then a thin strip of South America

20. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

The Pinochet coup had nothing to do with economics, even though this historical falsification is quite endemic. The USA feared Allende would side with the Soviets and deposed him. Pinochet happened to enact policy recommendation from the Chicago School, but that's totally irrelevant and a cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Similiarly, the USSR invaded Afghanistan because the USSR feared Afghanistan would align with the USA, and not because the USSR it wanted to introduce women's rights or atheism or something.