Who should own the date of 9/11?

Similiarly, the USSR invaded Afghanistan because the USSR feared Afghanistan would align with the USA, and not because the USSR it wanted to introduce women's rights or atheism or something.
Not really. Although the new leader was not as pro-Moscow as the old leader (who had asked for Soviet assistance in fighting what would become the mujahideen) the two main reason for the Soviet invasion were to support the pro-Moscow government and to create an example for the other Muslim SSRs. Of course, while they were occupying the country the Soviets did contine the programs of the Communist Afghani government in promoting women's education, secular education, improve healthcare, and so on.

Hey, I'm the same way with Easter. I mean, is it really trolling if I mention an "RIP" for all the peasant and serf children ripped from their wailing mothers by an Angel of Death? With the putative intention of changing the mind of their dictator?

Not really. Although the new leader was not as pro-Moscow as the old leader (who had asked for Soviet assistance in fighting what would become the mujahideen) the two main reason for the Soviet invasion were to support the pro-Moscow government and to create an example for the other Muslim SSRs.

Islamism as I viable political force is more or less dead throughout the entire former Soviet Union since the Stalinist era (with the notable exception of Chechnya perhaps). A Soviet invasion of Afghanistan would bring little example to be had to SSR's like Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan. Hell, it makes about as much sense to label these countries Muslim as refer to modern-day Sweden as Christian.

Of course, while they were occupying the country the Soviets did contine the programs of the Communist Afghani government in promoting women's education, secular education, improve healthcare, and so on.

But that was enabled by the Soviet Invasion, not the reason.

Islamism as I viable political force is more or less dead throughout the entire former Soviet Union since the Stalinist era (with the notable exception of Chechnya perhaps).
Depends on what you call viable political force. Some other regions of North Caucasus (Dagestan, Ingushetia) and former Soviet republics (Azerbaijan, Tajikistan) are "Muslim" not less than Chechnya and probably comparable to Turkey. Chechnya today is not even the most problematic region in North Caucasus, in terms of radical islamism. Tatarstan is (and was) also a region with very significant Muslim population and Islamic influence.

Islamism as I viable political force is more or less dead throughout the entire former Soviet Union since the Stalinist era (with the notable exception of Chechnya perhaps). A Soviet invasion of Afghanistan would bring little example to be had to SSR's like Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan. Hell, it makes about as much sense to label these countries Muslim as refer to modern-day Sweden as Christian.
At the start I'm not sure how much of it was an "Islamic" resistance by the Afghans. IIRC it started out as a "We don't like the government because they don't follow our tradition/are athiests/reasons" sort of affair. Later, as Muslims from across the Middle East traveled to Afghanistan to fight it definately became a religious affair, at least among the foreign fighters. It was a different story for the Afghanis. In Fisk's inverviews with Bin Laden, he mentions how Bin Laden was disgusted by how the Afghani's began fighting with each other after the Soviets left even though they were all Muslims who fought against the Soviets.

Hey, I'm the same way with Easter. I mean, is it really trolling if I mention an "RIP" for all the peasant and serf children ripped from their wailing mothers by an Angel of Death? With the putative intention of changing the mind of their dictator?
Surely you mean Passover...?

No, Easter. Specifically. I can see why people celebrate Passover, and I don't think it conflicts with any previous dates.

Only some double-digit number of people died in combat in Chile on 9/11/73; then some 4-digit number of people (something like 4000) died over the ensuing years because of repression by Pinochet's dictatorship. But around 3000 people died in the 9/11/01 attacks alone, and then some ~6-digit number of people died in the ensuring years because of US+friends military intervention.

So the USA wins both categories by roughly 2 body-count orders of magnitude. Therefore USA #1. Chile gets an honorable mention for being a fascinating example of the collapse of a society with a strong democratic tradition (only a couple of brief lapses between the mid-1800s to Pinochet; far better than most of continental Europe to 1973) into 17 years of dictatorship. But our 9/11 caused a lot more dead bodies. So we win!

Oh Ghettoes where liquidated under the overall control of an Austrian on another 9/11, I guess this is more significant from a european perspective then a thin strip of South America

we have those remembrance days on different dates.

however, it's not like the terrible past isnt still present every day of the year and still very much real in present day political debate.

but dont worry, i dont feel all that much offended by your rather light hearted way to throw this around because i understand you are an englishman to whom all this means something completely different.

I'm afraid we're discussing American 9/11, that is 11th September. Sorry, pal.

I know that you know. My personal humour.

I know. That's why its primarily mine, and not, say, Spain's.

In fact, Spanish humour is worse.

we have those remembrance days on different dates.

however, it's not like the terrible past isnt still present every day of the year and still very much real in present day political debate.

but dont worry, i dont feel all that much offended by your rather light hearted way to throw this around because i understand you are an englishman to whom all this means something completely different.

This is a very restrained response. It deserves some recognition. Please accept it in the spirit intended.

Top Bottom