Who should own the means of violence?

Clearly she wasn't resistant. I really figured that on the weekend some of those people would be 'regulars' and that she would be concerned about word of the early closings getting back to the owner.
But then again maybe regulars would know/like her and wouldn't want to get her fired. Or she might have been new and the clock fixing was a recent thing that got her fired shortly thereafter. Or maybe they just didn't want to tattle-tell on general principle... you and your shipmates could've told on her, but didn't, probably in-part, for that very reason.

But then again maybe regulars would know/like her and wouldn't want to get her fired. Or she might have been new and the clock fixing was a recent thing that got her fired shortly thereafter. Or maybe they just didn't want to tattle-tell on general principle... you and your shipmates could've told on her, but didn't, probably in-part, for that very reason.

The vibe we got at the time was that he was a new boyfriend and wanted to get her out of there for, well, something she couldn't do at work. We had the feeling she would rather finish the hours and boost her tips, but he really cramped her style. She was surprisingly calm about the whole thing when it went sideways at the end; never even mentioned cops, just told us to get out and not come back. I did not see a bright future for their relationship.

it reminds me that the 2nd amendment has a steep price.

That incident with the FBI agent has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment though since as a law enforcement agent, he would have likely been armed regardless of whether or not the 2nd Amendment existed.

To me it's just a blow to those who legitimately argue that only law enforcement and the military should have access to firearms because they are supposedly "trained" and "professional".

That incident with the FBI agent has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment though since as a law enforcement agent, he would have likely been armed regardless of whether or not the 2nd Amendment existed.

To me it's just a blow to those who legitimately argue that only law enforcement and the military should have access to firearms because they are supposedly "trained" and "professional".

Actually, the biggest blow is to the gun nuts' ridiculous argument about "a good guy with a gun" being a solution to problems. Maybe that works if you have a highly trained 'good guy' who opts to have no life. But if we are thinking that having a whole bunch of armed people running around all the time is a good idea we just got a lesson in the realities of human behavior. Good guys go dancing. Good guys who are counted on because they are "off duty" law enforcement shouldn't carry a gun when they go dancing. Neither should supposed good guys who have a concealed carry permit. There are any number of other normal activities, a whole bunch of them involving beers, that certainly would qualify for "yeah, don't bring your gun, we'll just have to get by without any heroics from you" status.

A couple decades ago I had this friend who was a deputy sheriff. It was department policy for him to carry at all times, and I was pretty convinced that he did. This meant that when we were bowling there was a loaded gun in a fanny pack on a seat, unattended when he was up to bowl. This meant that when we were sitting by the pool at the townhouse complex we both lived in and I was introducing him to vicious tropical drinks I had learned to make in Hawaii, a totally hammered individual was sitting there with a loaded gun. If he was at the park rough housing with his kids there was a loaded gun in the middle of it. For him to follow department policy, but actually be a responsible gun owner, he would have had to limit his off duty activities in completely unreasonable ways...just so he could potentially be a 'good guy with a gun' on the wildly remote chance that such a situation presented itself.

The funniest part is that while law enforcement organizations have dialed back on such stupid ideas as having off duty personnel be armed at all times, the gun nut crowd is advocating that more ordinary people should be...just in case a shootout becomes 'necessary.'

Actually, the biggest blow is to the gun nuts' ridiculous argument about "a good guy with a gun" being a solution to problems. Maybe that works if you have a highly trained 'good guy' who opts to have no life. But if we are thinking that having a whole bunch of armed people running around all the time is a good idea we just got a lesson in the realities of human behavior. Good guys go dancing. Good guys who are counted on because they are "off duty" law enforcement shouldn't carry a gun when they go dancing. Neither should supposed good guys who have a concealed carry permit. There are any number of other normal activities, a whole bunch of them involving beers, that certainly would qualify for "yeah, don't bring your gun, we'll just have to get by without any heroics from you" status.

Despite my staunch defense of the 2nd Amendment, I don't disagree with you here. Personally, I'm never armed in public. I've been in firefights and I know how chaotic they are, and if bystanders are around some of them are inevitably going to get caught in the crossfire. I don't want that on my conscience. Sure, I get criticized by some of my gun friends about that, but I'm just not willing to risk shooting some poor guy trying to buy an anniversary gift for his wife so I can maybe stop a bad guy.

Top Bottom