1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would be interested in DoC RAND?

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Aug 3, 2016.

1. windman

windman Chieftain

The only mods I am playing right now are DoC and RFC RAND. I guess it is a great idea to have a DoC RAND!

2. suli

suli Chieftain

I would be interested in giving it a shot.

3. borhap88

borhap88 Prince

It would make me play this mod for the rest of my life.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. Osakasayama

Osakasayama In decline

Oh darn! I've already started modmod-modding migck's RAND Plus to try to mod it into a quasi-RANDoC :lol:
    I was (and yet is) away from my Civ4-installed PC and the forums for some good vacationing, so I didn't know our Leoreth had the same thought.
    At this point I've done some Python and XML tweaks and I think I addressed a lot of RAND's problems, but I don't think I have the time or the ability to fully DoC-ize it.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Please don't stop! It'll take me some more time until I can work on this and maybe some of your stuff is reusable.

6. Makudomi

Makudomi 初春型四番艦

Loved RAND. 100% support here!

7. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal

It would be on top of my list of games. Diving into unknown map adds a dimension.

8. Zaduzai

Zaduzai Warlord

I would defiantly play several games (x hundreds or thousands hours).
    Pretty much all reasons why this would be nice addition to DoC have been said all ready in this thread for example:
    - It would be nice to know how much I got advance over AI because I know inside out the map.
    - "One of my favourite things about civ is exploring a new map and making plans dynamically based on what I find." (Malchar) Same here. Now when I play DoC I can pretty much make plans from first turn to last one, because I know map and how different AIs are playing + I can see to future (yep I know that Middle East is bad place when Seljuks spawn...).
    AND: I would really like to know how "universal" is DoC great game balance and how it is same time very historical, but you can play and get really interesting "alternative history" game - so with RAND all this could go to new level.

9. Fierabras

Fierabras Emperor

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Great, thanks for the reminder. I was already aware of your patch and was going to ask you about it once I'm at the place to start.

11. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

If you implement a DoC RAND as a part of DoC rather than as a separate mod, would you also consider custom scenario options for the regular scenarios? I'd be interested in doing some real OCCs and fiddling around with options like no goody huts, no tech trades, or raging barbs seems interesting.

12. DarkLunaPhantom

DarkLunaPhantom Prince Supporter

I assume that you probably know this already, but you can enable custom scenario options by changing the value of NoCustomScenario to 0 in RFC Dawn of Civilization.ini.

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I don't have a problem with most custom options, although I don't think all of them are going to work out of the box. So there's some additional work involved.

14. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

Derp, I wish I had known that. Thanks!

15. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Also, the new platybuilder enables you to switch on/off gameoption during a game.

16. Zaduzai

Zaduzai Warlord

This maybe stupid question but how UHV would work on RAND? Or there would be no UHV?

17. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

It would be similar to the UHV in RFC Rand, I suppose. Some UHV can be literally copied, like be the first to discover tech X or build X buildings/wonders.

Some other UHV require a bit tweaking. Especially geographical UHV. In RFC Rand, you generally have more freedom in choice for conquering/settling UHV. Instead of "control the core of civ X, Y and Z", it will be something like: "control the core of 3 civs of your choice".
    Cities which are more than 12 tiles away from your capital are considered as colonies for UHV. A landmass bigger than 25 tiles is considered a continent. This can help to define the "New World".

Some examples:
    Spoiler :
    Dutch UHV 3 RFC: Be the first to settle on Australia
    Dutch UHV 3 Rand: Be the first to settle a city on a landmass which is at least size 25.

German UHV 2 RFC: Control Scandinavia, England and Russia in 1940 AD
    German UHV 2 Rand: Control the core of 6 European civs.

Portugal UHV 3 RFC: Found 15 colonies
    Portugal UHV 3 Rand: Found 15 colonies (colony = city >= 15 tiles away from capital)

Zaduzai and ales_ like this.
  18. Pavel Chichikov

Pavel Chichikov King

For multiplayer's sake, fudge yes. Has anybody moved Civ IV onto a Steam platform yet?

19. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Uhm... yes?

20. DarkLunaPhantom

DarkLunaPhantom Prince Supporter

If you're thinking about steam multiplayer, it exists but it is limited to 4 players and I doubt that it supports mods (I don't know and I didn't try.)