Why are you here?

I have been playing Civilization since I first bought it for my Amiga 3000 back in 1992. I've spent weeks of time lost in the development of civilizations, only some of which stood the test of time.

For the last 4 years I've been playing Civ 4, first vanilla, then I found Civfanatics and started trying some of the mods. Some truly suck. Some are amazing. For the last year, maybe more, I've been playing Rise of Mankind, which is truly an awe inspiring mod, despite being beset by a variety of bugs in most releases.

I downloaded Fall from Heaven two days ago. I didn't download it before because I figured it would be frivolous, just replacing spearmen with "Dwarven Pikemen".

I was completely wrong. This is the best Civ 4 mod hands down, I can't believe the variety of characters, the alignment system, the look and feel of the interface, the stability and speed at which it runs, the variety of random events. The terrain is awesome. That dragon that sets up shop in the barbarian village caused me no end of grief in my last game. Then I hammered that guy with the fire ax and some other race finished him off and got it. :mischief: The 'woah, crap' moments make the game every bit as good as the 'he11 yeah!' moments.

I just wanted to express my gratitude for this mod, and my irritation that I dismissed it for so long and missed out on true greatness. All other modders should aspire to make anything even remotely this good.

Why did you get that impression?

EDIT: about the Spearmen.

Because a lot of mods simply replace one unit with another, or add a unit that has a few different stats. I really had no idea how vastly different this mod was. RoM is the other mod I have seen that does more than add units, but civics, religions, etc. I'm a big fan of Zappara, but I don't think RoM has the smoothness of this mod in regard to turn speed or stability.

The space based mods I have installed were a real disappointment.

That now leaves FFH at the top of the pack.

I guess I am here because using the forum search didn't return the thread I was looking for entitled, "Compliments and Comments" or, "Best F:D Mod for Civ 4 BtS Ever".

I downloaded this modification about a week ago and haven't put it down. In fact, my girlfriend is pretty pissed off about it (Ok.. maybe not pissed but I get the "You're addicted comment" often). Luckily my novice mod abilities allow me to add units and the like with ease thus, adding my girlfriend has her more involved and I get that "Awe" factor ;).

I guess the real reason I am here is to congratulate the entire FfH team. All of you have done a fantastic job with this project. Years of work, hours and hours of time, spent on something you love. You all have created something to be proud of and I appreciate all the time you have taken in making this modification for Civ 4. :)

I must agree, Fall From Heaven 2 is the best Civ 4 mod and one of the best mods for any game ever made! :D

Many Kudos to the FFH team. :goodjob:

Attachments

• Kael.jpg
    Kael.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 194
Like others, I'm here to say thanks for the great mod. I discovered it a while back.

I don't have much time to play, so I've never actually finished a game (the patch I MUST HAVE becomes available, and breaks the game), but I have a New Years resolution to finish this one (Svartalfar, because I want to grow forests and use magic). So I'll be sticking with patch "g" for a while, and you won't get any pressure from me to hurry up with patch "k." ;)

(Also here to stop that "you haven't posted for a while" message... :rolleyes:)

And thanks again for all your hard work.

I was always a civ fan. I can't count the night wasted with different Civ titles and the Fall from Heaven 2 was the perfect fantasy destillation about all the features I liked about civ. I just love the mod.

So...What do you do if you want to get involved in FFH2? I've studied computer graphics (3D) and now I'm unemployed. Thought I might as well get involved into something like this. Fall from Heaven 2 is one of the best, comprehensive and well-made mod I have seen and it is well on par with vanilla Civ IV, if not better. So, if you need a 3D (and 2D) artist, I would love to get involved.

So...What do you do if you want to get involved in FFH2? I've studied computer graphics (3D) and now I'm unemployed. Thought I might as well get involved into something like this. Fall from Heaven 2 is one of the best, comprehensive and well-made mod I have seen and it is well on par with vanilla Civ IV, if not better. So, if you need a 3D (and 2D) artist, I would love to get involved.

Hey,
I am the guy behind most of the Art here :)
Can you show us some of your work? some examples?
do you know how to mod CIV? I mean how nifs and kfms, etc. work?
Can you do Animations?! I think Animations are the most limiting thing. As I can animate, but are pretty slow doing so.
there are still some units left to be done, but they should match the style of the other units.
We could use original artwork for some of the special units, though :)

I have a small portfolio here: http://www.carcadon.com/
It's not much, I know, but I am eager to do something different and more in fantasy style, which I prefer.

I don't have any experience in making Civ-mods, no. But you have to learn sometime. I am very quick at learning exporters and tool-sets.

Aaah...Animation...Yeah....No, I wont lie. Animation is really not my strong side, but if you you need an animator, I better gear up and try my hand at it again.

I think I can follow concept-art reasonably well, so I shouldn't have much trouble matching the style of what exists already. Heck, I think I could do some of the concept art. ;)

I'm here just to say thanks to all the people who have worked on and are still workng on FFH. I have enjoyed Civ since 91 (ish?) but only discovered modding since FFH1 . Since then I have gone FFH1 > FFH2 > FF > RiFe and loved every moment. Now i think i need a new computer so i can play longer into the game as the mods get even more complex and creative!

Keep em coming my way...

Also I think its pretty amazing how consistently/patiently people like Valkrionn listen and respond to ideas ranging from the good the bad and the ugly. Even from people like me who don't know the first thing about modding. And actually now i enjoy reading ideas and developments in these forums almost as much as playing the game! :<)

Top Bottom