Why does the game come with broken mods?

stoferb

Prince
I got civ4 on a CD, and decided to check out the mods that are included. But for some reason all the mods except RFC (which just crash all the time instead) are lacking half the interface, it's like they are eternally in map mode. Forget changing civics, changing builds or look up the civilopedia e.t.c. whenever you want, only during pop-ups. Worst of all is that lacking the city-interface you can't rush-build or conscript. Did firaxis check to see if the mods where actually working properly before they shipped the CD's to sale?

I knew about this problem before but then I figured it was because I had already patched the game from 3.13 to 3.19. Today I re-installed Civ so I figured why not try and see if it works with the original before I patch it and add BUG. Nope it didn't work. I've re-installed it one more time (actually two times), this time I made sure to throw every file in the trash-bin as it seems the un-install function makes weird things happen (that's why it was two times). Now the Mods work fine.

I don't understand about th CustomAssets folder, should one do that?

I assume you are referring to the scenarios delivered with BTS, which are essentially mods, yes. These mods will not work with BUG, so if you have that installed that may be your problem. Furthmore, I think BUG works with 3.19 only now...not sure on that one.

Kinda odd that you would post from the standpoint that the delivered scenarios are broken as opposed to maybe it's a problem on your end. Otherwise, you probably would have easily found that issue here...it does not exist.

However, the missing interface issue has come up before and it is generally related to a bad install or conflicting installed mods.

If you install BUG into custom assets (SP mode) this will conflict with just about any modpack - delivered or otherwise. However, SP mode BUG is the best and easiest way to install it. So what I do is create a copy of the Custom Assets folder and rename it to something like "CustomAssets-BUG". A new vanilla custom asset folder will be generated automatically when you load up the game again. Save a copy off of the vanilla CA folder. Switch between the two depending on whether you are playing a modded or unmodded game. (Bug in CA will work with some scenarios like Earth18 since they are just maps)

I actually use a little app that lets me switch between CA folders in a snap. However, you can just rename the folders pretty easily to get the same result. Choose "Rename" from the right-click context menu and delete "-BUG' from the name to make it the live CustomAsset folder, but add "-Vanilla' to current one before doing that. Reason I use the tool, besides making it easier and quicker to do, is that I always know what is in the current live CA folder.

Thanks Lymond. Now I get what was the problem, I didn't think about deleting BUG the first time I re-installed civ as I didn't remember it's actually in the user folder and not the program folder. I was just frustrated that I had re-installed the program and it still didn't work. Yeah I'll copy your clever little trick.

No problem. You are not the first to run into that issue by any means.

Of course, if you use the naming trick, you will always know what is in the "live" CA folder since the "copy" will have the opposite name. The tool just makes it brainless for me. You can find it in the Modding Tools subforum and Ruff_Hi created it.

Unless you are using other things than BUG in CustomAssets (like Blue Marble), you can also tell the mod to ignore the customassets folder and it should then work fine, rather than having several customasset folders.
Do do that, edit the .ini file in the mod's folder and change IgnoreCustomAssets 0 to IgnoreCustomAssets 1

Top Bottom