Women should run the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dolphins may be just about as intelligent as other mammals, like apes or dogs. They pass mirror test and have some kind of language, but so do other animals.

Depends on the martial art. My step brother was a brawler. Drove a truck, rough crowd could carry a 63 kg beer keg each hand.

He uses to beat up martial artists was one if the toughest SoBs I ever met. Used to fight bouncers if he was bored.

Alot of martial arts are choreographed dancing eg karate. Others are outright useless in a real fight.

Also see MMA and what's actually good.
Basically thai boxing, and if you survive to get close enough, wrestling.

But since we aren't there yet, may go extinct and dolphins may evolve and go to the stars maybe we are the primitives. Certainly neither us or dolphins are there yet and either could in theory make it.
Not that I accept your definition anyway.

Could in theory ain't good enough. If they aren't currently advanced then they're still primitive. That's like saying a sports player could get really good stats but hasn't yet. You ain't good until your actually there and proving to the world what your made of, the rest is just talk but no action.

Also being around for millions of years doesn't count either. Older is not nesessarily good. Otherwise I could claim cockroaches are sufficiently more advanced than most tetrapods.

Why do you call dolphin culture "primitive"? Dolphins have been around for tens of millions of years - a heckuva lot longer than anything resembling humans or even proto-humans. They've adapted successfully to their environments, at least until we came along and started polluting the oceans. As the saying goes, you can't miss what you never had, so it would seem to me that the dolphins' culture is not primitive. It works for them, and has worked for a very long time.

Captive dolphins would know that we have hands and can manipulate our environment. Wild dolphins would be far less familiar with such things, and so they don't know that they're supposed to envy our hands with opposable thumbs and ability to make fire.

Evolution didn't just stop as soon as Darwin figured it out. It's an ongoing process that couldn't give a fraction of a damn what we think about it. Dolphins may end up extinct due to climate change and pollution, and that would be a tragic loss. On the flip side, they may eventually evolve the means to manipulate their environment.
Those captive dolphins don't spread rumors cuz snitches get stitches :lol:

Could in theory ain't good enough. If they aren't currently advanced then they're still primitive. That's like saying a sports player could get really good stats but hasn't yet. You ain't good until your actually there and proving to the world what your made of, the rest is just talk but no action.

Any sufficiently advanced civilization according to me is defined by it's ability to last forever (A.K.A UNLIMITED POWAH!!!), so that means spaceships and eventually an ascension gateway to gain both immortality and invincibility. True godhood.

Your own words. We aren't there. It looks unlikely we will ever get there. So by your own measure we are just less primitive than other species atm who might end up being the ones who actually get there.

A bit of a tangent, but I don't see why you'd use "female" (or male) to characterize people in noun form, instead of woman/man (it's supposedly a 'hot' - trash - topic on youtube). Maybe in English it is more natural. In Greek it would certainly sound very forced if you call someone (the Greek term for) female or male.
Not that I'd mind. Depends on how natural or not it sounds to a native speaker of English.

Your own words. We aren't there. It looks unlikely we will ever get there. So by your own measure we are just less primitive than other species atm who might end up being the ones who actually get there.

Your making an assumption that the other creatures will. I never assumed humans were going to live forever, I merely claimed humans are closer due to being closer to spaceships.

When it comes to animals, you would have to account for whether or not we make them go extinct first, that you simply are not accounting for.

Last edited:
... are just less primitive than other species atm who might end up being the ones who actually get there.

Barring a global extinction level event, it is unlikely another organism is going to overtake us though.

Also, I love that rather debate the merits of Women Rule, we are fighting over the details of anything being worthy of ruling.

Moderator Action: Chill guys. I have deleted some of the worst trolling and name calling. Play nice or go away.

My point is that what you ascribe to evolution is actually the result of behaviors that humans chose.

Did most of these other mammals choose those roles?

it would seem evolution made that choice for us, so who is to argue with mother nature. Female hyenas lead their clans and they are larger, generally the biggest and baddest rule and 'might makes right'. Maybe violence is just integral to life just about everywhere, kill and eat and repeat. Anyway, Elle was the better choice to go because she's female, I'm not too keen on having a man making first contact...generally speaking.

It was the choice of the words “evolution designed,” which while I know what you meant just sounded oxymoronic.

Why?

Depends on the martial art. My step brother was a brawler. Drove a truck, rough crowd could carry a 63 kg beer keg each hand.

He uses to beat up martial artists was one if the toughest SoBs I ever met. Used to fight bouncers if he was bored.

Alot of martial arts are choreographed dancing eg karate. Others are outright useless in a real fight.

Also see MMA and what's actually good.

This is an old-school idea that's true at that time, where traditional martial art and McDojjo rule the globe. But in our current time, people shouldn't mess around with a good train individual. Unlike Karate or other martial arts form that studied repetitive forms and scenarios; art like Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Wrestling, BJJ, is practiced through repetitive sparring and developt the technique is also based on unchoreographed banter, it's almost like a science.

The kind of debate about who gonna win between a trained fighter vs a muscular strong dude already harms so many peoples, even killed. Your muscle just able to train whatever movement they are grinding, if you are able to lift x amount of kg, doesn't mean you can punch harder than a boxer who not lifting weight but train 80 rounds a week. The previous one is not necessarily a good puncher, the latter one can easily drop you with a jab.

This happened in Russia, where a debate between an olympian weight lifter and a smaller amateur fighter on who would win a fight between the two led to a fight where the weight lifter passed away after the fight that last like 30 second-ish.

A bit of a tangent, but I don't see why you'd use "female" (or male) to characterize people in noun form, instead of woman/man (it's supposedly a 'hot' - trash - topic on youtube). Maybe in English it is more natural. In Greek it would certainly sound very forced if you call someone (the Greek term for) female or male.
Not that I'd mind. Depends on how natural or not it sounds to a native speaker of English.
In English it depends on context and (seems to depend) on the generation of who is communicating the idea. I've seen these words used both in the context of science and in the context of describing them in derogatory ways.

If I'm going to explain penguin behavior, for instance, it would be normal to refer to them as male and female penguins. Calling them man and woman penguins would make no sense, because they are not human. They're not even mammals.

When it comes to using "man" and "woman" in English, it really, really annoys me when people say "women" when they really mean "woman."

I am a woman. I am not a "women." There is only one of me.

Barring a global extinction level event, it is unlikely another organism is going to overtake us though.
According to current theory, we have about half a billion years left of Earth being habitable for ourselves before the Sun starts noticeably starts expanding into its red giant phase. That's still plenty of time for everything to get completely redone as far as evolution is concerned and which species adapt and which don't (aka go extinct).

I have a button I bought at a convention 35 years ago:

The Sun will go out in 5 billion years.
It's never too early to start packing!

Did most of these other mammals choose those roles?

it would seem evolution made that choice for us, so who is to argue with mother nature. Female hyenas lead their clans and they are larger, generally the biggest and baddest rule and 'might makes right'. Maybe violence is just integral to life just about everywhere, kill and eat and repeat. Anyway, Elle was the better choice to go because she's female, I'm not too keen on having a man making first contact...generally speaking.
Have you read the novel? Sagan wrote that it was an international group of people representing a gender-balanced variety of fields and religions (Ellie representing her own field of science, being American, being female, and being atheist) who went. When they arrived at where the Machine took them, all of them encountered people who were most important to themselves. Ellie decided that no, she was not going to walk through the doors her colleagues did. She would wait for the alien to come to her.

Of course he eventually did, and when the group was sent back to Earth, it was like the movie showed - to outside observers it looked like the capsule they were in hadn't gone anywhere and they were accused of conspiring to pull a very expensive hoax on everyone and every nation that had contributed money, workers, research, and other resources toward making the Machine.

In the movie... as S.R. Haddon says, "They still want an American to go... want to take a ride?"

So no, there was no mention of Ellie being a woman. They wanted her because she was American, and would overlook her inconvenient refusal to be their personal missionary.

"Evolution designed" is oxymoronic because evolution has nothing to do with "intelligent design" - which is nothing more than an attempt to put a micro-thin coating on creationism by introducing scientific terms that really don't mean what the speakers think they mean.

With greater self awareness you can override your instincts, an ability that dumber creature simply cannot do. Fear being one of them.
Fear is also an instinct

So see the same could be applied to gender roles, even if at one point they once had a biological purpose humans are so self aware they can override those natural presets if they so desire
For the most part people can't override natural presets. Even the desire to override natural presets is mostly an attempt at status (self control is highly valued in all societies) which is itself a natural preset.

This is an old-school idea that's true at that time, where traditional martial art and McDojjo rule the globe. But in our current time, people shouldn't mess around with a good train individual. Unlike Karate or other martial arts form that studied repetitive forms and scenarios; art like Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Wrestling, BJJ, is practiced through repetitive sparring and developt the technique is also based on unchoreographed banter, it's almost like a science.

The kind of debate about who gonna win between a trained fighter vs a muscular strong dude already harms so many peoples, even killed. Your muscle just able to train whatever movement they are grinding, if you are able to lift x amount of kg, doesn't mean you can punch harder than a boxer who not lifting weight but train 80 rounds a week. The previous one is not necessarily a good puncher, the latter one can easily drop you with a jab.

This happened in Russia, where a debate between an olympian weight lifter and a smaller amateur fighter on who would win a fight between the two led to a fight where the weight lifter passed away after the fight that last like 30 second-ish.

Damn did that guy goto jail? You don't do ground and pound IRL pretty messed up

Yeah some martial arts are legit others are glorified dancing.

This guy was just a good brawler and was happy to fight dirty.

Moderator Action: Let's get back on topic please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom