World Wonder Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colosseum - 25 (24+1) --- Once complete it offers so much, so early.
Pyramids - 5 (8-3) --- Feudalism mitigates the value, post R&F Liang and monumentality golden age put it in the sarcophagus.

Colosseum 25-3= 22 These are both my favorite, but the pyramids come really early a keep on giving the whole game.
Pyramids 5+1= 6 See colosseum.

Colosseum 22-3= 19
Pyramids 6+1=7

Colosseum has somewhat stronger bonuses, but requires EC+Arena so it has much higher cost. Pyramids is much better in terms of return on the amount of Production invested.

Last edited:
This will be very close, and my bet is that Colosseum will win, but for me, the more useful wonder and a must in every game for me will always be the Pyramids :egypt:

Colosseum 19-3=16 - Great bonuses, but it forces me to waste a district slot with something I usually build in late game. It means it costs even more production. It demands you to plan ahead to gain maximum effects from it. It also has limited range, so if you have wide empire, you won't enjoy its bonuses in the whole country.
Pyramids 7+1=8 - Liang works for only one city. If you have a huge empire, you'll either have to move her or the builders to all corners of your empire to use her bonus charge. This, on the other hand, will provide its effect for your entire empire, no matter how many cities you have. The deserts have never been rare in my games. I've always had some near my empire. And I've got an advice for all those who claim that you don't always get desert next to you - move your settler or build another one while you're researching masonry ;). It comes in the ancient era, an era sooner than Colosseum and two eras sooner than Serfdom. Also, it doesn't demand me to plan ahead to gain max effects from it, and it doesn't demand me to waste a single cog on something I don't usually build that early.

Colosseum - 16 (19-3) --- I always managed quite easily to keep my citizens happy and my culture high. The Colosseum is, for me, a waste of space. Usually, the Entertainment Complex is enough for me, and once I built it, I don't need extra happiness. And the culture boost is... meh, for me.
Pyramids - 9 (8+1) --- My favourite civ is China, because I'm a wonder fanatic. But I was used to the extra builder charge, so the Pyramids is for me a no-nogo. Placed on a piece of land I was not planning to use? Check. Available early with few requirements? Check. Easy to built? Check. The extra builder charge is for me, sometimes, the game changer is tied situation. It's what can make the differend between exploiting both all your resources and build extra improvments without wasting time and hammers on builders that will become more expensive as time pass. So, for me, Pyramids for the win.

I think Colosseum should be 13 after the last vote.

Colosseum - 13
Pyramids - 9

Colosseum - 13-3 = 10 (Limited range puts it at #2)

Pyramids - 9+1 = 10 (You get 8 build charges when it's built plus an extra charge for every builder anywhere thereafter. Never becomes irrelevant.)

Wow, we're at a tie! :crazyeye:

Do votes without justification count? I'll take the previous post into account here, correct me if I shouldn't. Back to the tie anyway.

Colosseum - 8 (7 + 1) - It's easier to quickly get a builder, than to quickly fix the lack of amenities.

Pyramids - 8 (11 - 3) - See Colosseum.

I still think Forbidden Palace is better than these two.

Colosseum - 9 Still a good choice in almost every game
Pyramids- 5 A wonder that can't always be built shouldn't be the best wonder

Colosseum 6 (9-3) ... I may be undervaluing it, but this is far from #1 from me.
Pyramids 6 (5+1) ... The better of the two imo.

Colosseum 7 (6+1) Always try to get this one, mega culture and amenities [edit - in my current Deity game, Peter built it on T90!]
Pyramids 3 (6-3) ... Tough to downvote, but only one can remain. Finish him!

Last edited:
Colosseum 8 (7+1) ... Both are good, but this is better, if only because a lot of it's value depends on the player's placement choice.
Pyramids 0 (3-3) ... .Luck factor of having a desert involved. Boo! Eliminated

For the record there was a math error on the last page. Eleven11 voted down the Colosseum but it got missed. Fortunately it doesn't change the outcome. But the final score is a little tighter 5-0. Glad the Colosseum pulled it out.

It's cool - they are both top in my book

I think this is correct. :king:

Top Tier
1. Colosseum :trophy:
2. Pyramids :trophy2nd:
3. Forbidden City :trophy3rd:
4. Temple of Artemis :trophy2:
5. Big Ben :trophy2:
6. Oracle
7. Casa de Contratación
8. Eiffel Tower
9. Oxford University
10. Cristo Redentor
11. Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
12. Kilwa Kisiwani
13. Potala Palace
14. Great Zimbabwe
15. Ruhr Valley

Medium Tier
16. St. Basil’s Cathedral
17. Terracotta Army
18. Alhambra
19. Hagia Sophia
20. Apadana
21. Venetian Arsenal
22. Bolshoi Theatre
23. Jebel Barkal
24. Petra
25. Huey Teocalli
26. Colossus
27. Angkor Wat
28. Great Lighthouse
29. Broadway

Bottom Tier
30. Estádio de Maracanã
31. Mont St. Michel
32. Hanging Gardens
33. Hermitage
34. Kotoku-in
35. Amundsen-Scott Research Station
36. Taj Mahal
37. Sydney Opera House
38. Mahabodhi Temple
39. Great Library
40. Stonehenge
41. Chichen Itza
42. Statue of Liberty

@Icicle, and anyone else interested or curious about such a "Guide" thingy.. two pages back was the fourth version of my ODS spreadsheet "Wonders-Racing".

Here's the very nearly final file of mostly personal opinion(s) and extra details about numerous factors (XML, Online Pedias, Agendas, Bias, Victory types, etc) involved in competing with AI & still getting the essential references... Enjoy!

Attachments

• Wonders-Race(Final).zip
    310.7 KB · Views: 212
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom