Would you like a hate button?

I do not want a "hate" or "dislike" or any other negative button. I was disappointed to see the "like" button appear, but not enough to make a stink about it.

But they do nothing. Before, they were visibly counted, and also changed the order of comments.
The current down-vote-button for comments does nothing, is barely visible. Nobody uses it. It is a faux simile.
Yeah, doesn’t Google understand that it is the simple and unbridled ability to provide some form of immediate and vague negative feedback to people commenting on videos that made YouTube great?

Paradox Forums have "respectfully disagree", which I think works quite well.

Much better after they stopped showing who liked/"respectfully disagreed", though sometimes it's obvious anyway.

Their general discussion forums are of roughly the same quality as Civ 6's, so I don't anticipate a major change if such a button were on civfanatics.

I already refuse to use the "like" button because of its deleterious effect, it's not to pile up on the argumentation by popularity and clique-inducing mechanism with another one.
I've never seen such a system being positive in-depth relative to discussion and argumentation. It brings too much, well, "meta-game".

FAMILY FRIENDLY FORUM AND FAMILIES DON'T LIKE HATE
I like this comment.

Yeah, doesn’t Google understand that it is the simple and unbridled ability to provide some form of immediate and vague negative feedback to people commenting on videos that made YouTube great?
Not great. But yes, better. Which is easy, as you should know.

Btw I am not in favor of a hate-button. I just wanted to wine about the changes to the youtube comment section (which happened quite a while ago, if you are confused about that).

If a post is hated it should die in obscurity. So no.

Paradox Forums have "respectfully disagree", which I think works quite well.
I agree. Paradox Plaza is a good forum, but it is troll-infested. Paradox Plaza is relatively good considering that people get death threats in other areas of the Internet, but it still has some issues.

The "Respectfully Disagree" button is disabled on the "Off Topic" section of the website.

I have seen people bully each other with the "Like" and "Respectfully Disagree" buttons on the Paradox Forums.

Last edited:
I have seen people bully each other with the "Like" and "Respectfully Disagree" buttons on the Paradox Forums.
See Site Feedback for conversations about whether or not using the "Like" here constitutes PDMA and/or bullying (condensed version: the answer is "yes").

See Site Feedback for conversations about whether or not using the "Like" here constitutes PDMA and/or bullying (condensed version: the answer is "yes").
Okay. Did I violate any rules?

Okay. Did I violate any rules?
Not that I'm aware of. I just thought you might find it of interest. There are now circumstances where it's infractable to "like" a post with mod text. "Liking" = "Public Discussion."

Not that I'm aware of. I just thought you might find it of interest. There are now circumstances where it's infractable to "like" a post with mod text. "Liking" = "Public Discussion."
OK. I see your point. :)

I'm reminded of a now defunct forum where they installed a user karma system, rather than a post like or hate system. Just for fun on one guy I did so very much negative karma for the guy that it actually broke the forum.

Good times.

I'm reminded of a now defunct forum where they installed a user karma system, rather than a post like or hate system. Just for fun on one guy I did so very much negative karma for the guy that it actually broke the forum.

Good times.
Did you have a real problem with him?

The forum I mentioned in a previous post where one of the admins was demoted for abusing the reputation system gave 12,000 negative rep points to a member he hated. That was reprehensible in and of itself, but even more so since on that forum access to some areas of the site depended on having a minimum number of positive rep.

Good times.
What does that accomplish?

Did you have a real problem with him?

It was the owner of the forum I did it to. I helped sabotage the wikipedia page he made about the forum as well. I didn't actually do the sabotage, but helped with style. We replaced all his descriptions with quotes from Monty Python. I didn't hate the guy, so much as we were in some sort of a long term casual feud because when I moderate a place I can be ruthless. And I told one of his friends that he wasn't going to get another chance on what he did.

What does that accomplish?

I had fun annoying someone who was annoying me.

It was the owner of the forum I did it to. I helped sabotage the wikipedia page he made about the forum as well. I didn't actually do the sabotage, but helped with style. We replaced all his descriptions with quotes from Monty Python. I didn't hate the guy, so much as we were in some sort of a long term casual feud because when I moderate a place I can be ruthless. And I told one of his friends that he wasn't going to get another chance on what he did.

I had fun annoying someone who was annoying me.
Wouldn't you have more fun if you just banned him and then went out to have beer?

Uh, is this getting off topic?

This entire thread is off-topic, because it's wildly unlikely to happen.

Wouldn't you have more fun if you just banned him and then went out to have beer?

Uh, is this getting off topic?

Nah. In context it was quite entertaining. I really liked how he banned me from his place, and the other guy who put up money to fund the place made him un-ban me.

Top Bottom