would you like to see blood and gore in combat?

Would you like to see blood effects added to combat in FfH?

• Yes, FfH is dark fantasy and bloody combat adhances the atmosphere

Votes: 158 68.4%
  • No, I am too young / I dont think it is necessary / I faint when seeing blood

Votes: 73 31.6%

• Total voters
I voted yes, only if it isnt overdone for the sake of beeing gory. If it is done well and not over the top (humans only have a limited amount of blood), I trust Kael, seZereth, and co in their good judgement.

Monkeyfinger said:
Well, here's one silver lining: This might mean Kael will have to remove quick combat to insure that people will use this feature he worked to design and implement. It would serve the people who use that option right.
Um, what? Huh? Is this some multi-player exploit that I don't know about, or are you somehow upset that I don't need to see every goblin slain one by one in a strategy game?

Forgive me, my sarcasm detector is failing at the moment.

Um, what? Huh? Is this some multi-player exploit that I don't know about, or are you somehow upset that I don't need to see every goblin slain one by one in a strategy game?

Forgive me, my sarcasm detector is failing at the moment.

He's just joking.

Ogre is covered with blood, there is a Doviello unit that uses the corpse of a prior opponent as a weapon

Tell that to the seven year olds I meet who talk about how much they enjoy gears of war with all its bloody decapitations :lol: (irresponsable parents?)

I think todays childs society is getting a new norm thanks to video games

If you are going to work on death animations, it would also be nice to have world units die in a more spectacular manner. Killing Orthus, Archeron, the Horsemen, or Auric the Ascended should all reward the player with a spectacular combat animation...if you have the spare time that is.

To be honest, more Blood and gore is not nessesary. If i want to play with fountains of Blood I play an Egoshooter.
It would be fun, if the special death of certains units (The four horseman, Asheron the red dragon, Hyborem, Bassium) would be documented with a mini movie like the one for wonders. Or perhaps a small move of the death of each leader, played when you crushed him.
Fun, but not nessesary for the game.

Ok, maybe I can say something about it as well.
I created this as a kind of "experiment to learn how to add custom effects to animations by simple text entries"...

It is a shortly visible flash of "blood" played when a unit is hit and when a unit dies.
It makes combat far more interesting, as it gives you "visual feedback" (something like overdone sounds in kung-fu movies).
I think I will just release a "non-gore" patch seperately which will replace the "blood" texture with a simple white flash texture. That way it might be more appropriate for those who are annoyed by it. (which I think no one will be, as soon as they see it in game :p)

Ok, maybe I can say something about it as well.
I created this as a kind of "experiment to learn how to add custom effects to animations by simple text entries"...

It is a shortly visible flash of "blood" played when a unit is hit and when a unit dies.
It makes combat far more interesting, as it gives you "visual feedback" (something like overdone sounds in kung-fu movies).
I think I will just release a "non-gore" patch seperately which will replace the "blood" texture with a simple white flash texture. That way it might be more appropriate for those who are annoyed by it. (which I think no one will be, as soon as they see it in game :p)

I'm certainly not firmly established in either a yes or no camp, so would at least initially want to see the effect for myself.

...but when you say "white flash texture" does that mean those that opt for no blood or gore are going to have flashes of white during combat, or does "white flash" equate to the effect being transparent - and thus not temporarily disfiguring the fanstastic model work you and the team have done?

I'm certainly not firmly established in either a yes or no camp, so would at least initially want to see the effect for myself.

...but when you say "white flash texture" does that mean those that opt for no blood or gore are going to have flashes of white during combat, or does "white flash" equate to the effect being transparent - and thus not temporarily disfiguring the fanstastic model work you and the team have done?

I will make a zip having completely transparent effect, so no change compared to recent versions and a "white" effect to choose from.
EDIT: just tested it. I think I will only have a transparent option, so: blood or no blood ;)

I voted yes, 'cause PC games are my personnal circus games. Showing people really get hurt in battles also have kind of sort of educatory side. Wow, okay, I admit gore relaxes me... Especially at the moment, job pbms...yada,yada,yada...

@ SeZereth: Much Kudos to finding a solution so quickly despite the objections Kael seems to have. :)

Hope it doesn't cause you and the rest of the team all to much trouble along the lines of what Kael has outlined.

And independently of what i said i will even turn off quick-combat for a short while to take a peek at your outstanding work. (Just don't expect me to do so for very long. I don't have soo much time to play recently. And Immortal level games have loads of combat in it so it whould just take to long to stand...)

That said it is indeed true that just by enabling quick-combat its already an opt-out feature (it has become such a standard to me that i didn't even grasp that when i wrote my first post here. So at least disabling it surely is an option and comes with the added perk of much saved time.). With your patch at least some of the users who don't want it (because of parental concerns or just for showcasing the game to a highly suspicious public...).

@ Those who highlight the many! very explicit adult themes in the mod (which are present galore and without doubt.):

Those having problems with such matters over here oddly wouldn't even spot those things most of the time and / or if its in written form might even downright encourage such material (Yes this even goes as far as Maderos pedia entry and beyond. Some (most?) literary critics here are not having the slightest problem with exposing young people (read: adolescents not small kids of course) to the most graphic of texts (those are more interesting anyways. Im sure the young people among us can approve this or at least still remember. ;) So it makes for good showcasing.).
Their main concern is real books getting out of fashion. And trying to attract more young people to read books / literature.).
But the second something very visually graphic and flashy appears they are all up in arms. (Oh and i am quite sure that some of the more irrational critical threads / posts about this mod and its creators ;) are written by people from over here.)

As far as i know over here, beyond downright banning and indexing (so a hard cut at 18+) there are no guidelines or regulations for books over here. And those measures are used very sparingly when it comes to books as far as i can see.)

For people having not been exposed to laws and regulations from "old europe" ;): Its not so much about parental guidance over here (at least in some countries of the EU including mine).
We have clear lines of legality / law (responsibility carried by publisher / company / Location / Event manager... + rarely parent depending on the situation) when it comes to matters of media regulations especially when it comes to digital / cinematic media and especially about violence (nudity on the other hand is a far lesser issue here than in the US. While still being an issue.). Not least thanks to some rather recent events.
(My personal take on FFH 2 would be to put it quite firmly in the 16+ area with and without the gore-effects. With Civ4/Bts beeing firmly in 12+.)

Its far from rational, reasonable or based on logic where those lines are over here, but its not easy to change common dispositions (albeit they are slowly changing thanks to the inevitable mounting exposure to those matters. When knowledge comes in, prejudice usually fades...).
If seZereth has had intensive contact to computer (and overall) gaming (which i can quite imagine) and the controversies attached to it, he might sure testify to that kind of situation over here. (Doesn't mean the regulatory bodies involved are itself are all so unreasonable. Rather the broader public / political bodies.)

(As a little personal side note to commenting on violence in media (and meant seriously):
If that is any problem to you. Which i could very well understand, you should ban your Kids from watching or listening to any! kind of real world news. Ever! Even those running in the afternoon.
Or better yet! Be there for and with them to speak about it. Which goes a long way to mitigate the negative results from consuming those kinds of content. Which are exist.
The content is far! worse and more explicit at times (Most of us just got so much used to it and don't even recognize the gravity. Kids, especially small ones sure do...). And it's real... Sadly.
Oddly. Few people complain about those.
Even though the content would easily be qualified as 18+ material if it was in any game (quite possibly completely banned).
Nothing like gears of war even comes close in effect shaping the outlook of a generation than what the free flow of real-world information in this day and age has bought about. Especially in times where multiple wars rage across the globe.
Ability to discern fiction (even in its most graphic forms) from reality is quite present in even most adolescents and often underestimated.)

Any age limit on a game is only a recommendation however, it's not illegal for a 13 year old to buy a game qualified as 18+. However in some locations it might be illegal for the sellers to sell it to an underaged individual. Though I don't think it is.

Instead, "video games can stimulate learning of facts and skills such as strategic thinking, creativity, cooperation and innovative thinking, which are important skills in the information society."

There was talks in the EU parliament on about how good games are for young children and that schools should inform children and parents about the benefits and disadvantages of games, for example that violence in video games can stimulate violent behaviour. This is ofc true for all media. But since it's a new media and the user is actually in control of much of the violent actions taking place on the screen it could be viewed as worse.

"Schools should pay attention to video games and inform children and parents about benefits and disadvantages that video games can have," the report said.

The European parliament conceded that "violence in video games can in certain situations stimulate violent behaviour," but said there was no need for Europe-wide legislation.

Quotes from this Article.

I won't put into doubt that the European legislators are quite progressive and that some research and movement from that direction is reasonable and constructive (far from the only one where one can only hope for more influence going to that body. Though that's a controversial view for sure. :p).
But national regulators and national public + their dispositions still matter. (Sadly, since the comments from their side are quite unreasonable here when compared to even the most basic research.
While the regulatory body itself is much more in touch with reality and common sense. Hence the regulation is far from as strict as some people / politicians would like.)
That's a matter where i doubt European legislation will trump National legislation anytime soon (for obvious reasons. Since this overall boils down to culture in regards to violence and other adult themes. And the EU keeps out of national culture mostly right now. For understandable reasons.).
Granted, Germany might be the most extreme example when it comes to this. But i doubt its the only one.

And i can assure you (having been working in selling games myself) that its binding law here where it comes to 18+ material (national legislation.).

And that a common visit from Police can turn to a quite unfun experience when they spot indexed games (an explanation to people who have no experience with strict rules: indexed means its not allowed to be shown on shelves but still allowed to stock and sell. Its not the same thing as banned which would mean: illegal to sell, possess and play / have installed on your PC in our country.) even in the upper reaches of your shelves even if just a single one which got there by accident (list gets updated frequently and similar...).
Also thanks to some very tragic events the guidelines have become more strict at least in Germany (the enforcement as well of course).
They have been more or less non-binding some a decade ago. Now i belive even 16+ material is quite strictly enforced. 12+ i doubt beyond the legality of any deal anyways. (legal nonability of children below 7/12.)

I would contest the view that a fictional game with moderate exposure to violence even if the player is the actor (excluding the real stark examples which are mostly banned for all good reasons here...) has a larger potential to inflict mental harm than a real first person report from a real-world warzone in the middle of emergency ward in an hospital with wounded and maimed people arriving by the minute (while the presenter in the studio comments the issue as if it would be the average garden-party) and the terror is written on everyone's face and expressed by personnel, families and victims. (One could also argue that a spectator in such extreme situations is an actor all by itself. Just by watching even over distance.)
Let alone those live reports where you see the direct results of the tools of war (those are seldom but exist.).
And that is everydays news these days. For obvious reasons.
Quite likely that legislators are just as used to violence in the news as everyone else (or even more so since some of them are involved in decisions which lead to such events.) and thus don't even recognize the issue as such.

Clicking a mouse button is not the same as holding a gun and using a trigger. At any level. Not even remotely (there are games that try to mimic as much as possible. Those are mostly banned here. For good reasons.)
I dare tell that even the average 12-year old is very much able to understand the difference.
(excluded games which use gun-replica and simmilar as methods of input and where the motoric moves mimic those of the real counterpart while at the same time advertising just that and using languge and such in a matter to even expand that ambience.)
Sadly some people honestly compare pixels which are clearly visible as such to the real thing and don't credit people with even the most basic ability to use their brains (and that's to put it friendly. ;)).

There are still other much more serious issues (which have a far bigger impact on economics and society). But those have less to do with mental damage. But are / whould be still more than worth discussing. Especially in abovementioned circles.
Sadly those issues sometimes get drowned out by unreasonable trains of thought like computer game = reality in an adolecents eyes... (thats not so much on EU level...)

Agreed that guidance and dialogue with the subject in question is a very good thing though. :)

Top Bottom