I remember in vanilla they could, I'm almost sure of that.
No, that is wrong.
They never could. - Not in Vanilla, not in TAC, not in RaR and not in WTP either.

As I said, I noticed that - also in my current game. I noticed at least 3 new native villages during the game...
Would be very strange if that was true ... :confused:
I have also never seen it happen.

The Unit UNIT_NATIVE does not use UNITAI_COLONIST so it should never try to settle a new village.
(I have not explicitly checked to code again though to figure out if Natives found new villages again.)

In fact it would be a huge problem if it would - the space is simply too limitted if Native AIs start to settle as well.

Yes, they do. I noticed it with my automated scouts. They stop in a place when all the villages are "approached", but then they move again after many turns to discover the new village and talk to the chief when they appear.

Sorry, but this is not true. They CAN found new villages. I noticed that a lot of times. And it is fine as it is! :thumbsup:

Yes, agreed they do found settlements occasionally. They seem to be good at only taking up places with a lot of empty space around though. So I don't see a problem in it either.

I have a question.

I have noticed that with the options "Automated Pioneers leave old Improvements" and "Automated Pioneers leave Forests", they do leave old improvements however they are quite happy (overly happy) to chomp through Forests, they also just like placing Pastures, like everywhere where there is no resource located. This intended or a vanilla bug?

It is so anoying, I have revereted to manual control. (I do not have any Livestock atm and it seems very odd)

I have noticed that with the options "Automated Pioneers leave old Improvements" and "Automated Pioneers leave Forests", they do leave old improvements however they are quite happy (overly happy) to chomp through Forests, they also just like placing Pastures, like everywhere where there is no resource located. This intended or a vanilla bug?
It's clearly a bug, but I don't know if it's vanilla or something we did. I have to confess that I never automate pioneers because I never liked how they behave. This means I wouldn't notice if the automation breaks.

Pretty sure the forest thing is a vanilla bug - explains why the AI ends up with so many completely deforested colonies. I think that was the reason the original lumbermill (500:gold:, +5 lumber) was added in RAR, so that the AI would build some of them and thus not chop all the forests.

I think building pastures is the default pioneer automation for land without bonus resources. Sheep, cows and horses will generally be the most valuable yield on tiles without bonus resources, so the AI just assumes that's what you will prefer.

Q1: Is getting new colonists (from food) and then having them idle on map (not included in city) also lowers rebel sentiment, for the independence?

Q2: Is it a known issue that indentured servants escape much more often than slaves? For the record in history, some of them were willing to repay their debts by working, so it should be lower on the contrary.

Q3: What happens if you produce more crosses in one turn that the amount needed? Rest is lost or you can potentially get several colons? EDIT: Found the answer myself!

Q4: Is learning by doing probabilistic?

Last edited:
Hi Vorpal+5,
Q1: Is getting new colonists (from food) and then having them idle on map (not included in city) also lowers rebel sentiment, for the independence?
yes, everytime a new colonist is working in the colony the rebel sentiment is lowered. See here for a detailed description (it's for Vanilla but also true for WTP I think).
Q2: Is it a known issue that indentured servants escape much more often than slaves? For the record in history, some of them were willing to repay their debts by working, so it should be lower on the contrary.
Don't know this behaviour as I'm usually sending them to the Natives to learn.
Q4: Is learning by doing probabilistic?
raystuttgart made an extensive post on page 5 of this thread.

Another quick question:
Why do the newly implemented 'Native Traders' (don't know how they are called in English) not always have the choice to make a trading post in a native settlement?
Is there a kind of limitation? It worked three times, but it doesn't work anymore.

Oh, and of course many thanks and all thre best to Nightinggale, raystuttgart, Schmiddie and all the other modders to keep this gem alive!

Top Bottom