1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTP] Quick questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

there are situations in the game when there is not enough resource for the final construction of a building. and when this resource appears in the city in the required quantity, a message appears stating that the building can be built. So here's the question: is it possible to make the screen move to the designated city?
    the attached screenshot shows that one building from the list can be built in the city of Fort Ross. but at the same time Novo Arkhangelsk is displayed on the map. I don't remember which building is more needed in the city. but if I saw the city on the map, it would be easier to choose.

Attached Files:

raystuttgart likes this.
  2. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

By modding (in this case programming) it should be possible to have the Screen center on the City of the message, when it pops-up.
    It would also be possible to add the function "examine Settlement" (opening City Screen) - like in other Lists.

@Mr. ZorG

It is basically a small "feature request". Effort (including testing) is probably just a few hours.
    Probably it is a good idea to start a new thread for this request - it sounds like a useful QoL improvement. :thumbsup:

Otherwise it will most likely be forgotten and lost in Nirvana.
    In that thread the "ideal solution concept" could be discussed and maybe a modder can be found who volunteers to implement it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  3. Diegozubi

Diegozubi Chieftain

Hi team¬
    Quick question.. I am on version 2.8. I am not getting the option to select Spanish (Español) in WTP options (in main menu). Only English, French and German. How can I activate it? I still see the spanish tags in the xml assets, so it looks to be prepared to manage it.

Also, can somebody remind me how to change the default options in Custom Game (like no hidden variables, new seed on reload, etc). I know it was in an xml as a line with 0s and 1s, but I cannot find it now :undecide:

Thanks!

4. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Assets\XML\Interface\Languages.xml
    Add Spanish to the list. Easiest way is to replace Russian.

The main reason why Spanish is missing is because we don't have a translator and a lot of the text isn't translated. However it should work and if something isn't translated, it should use the English text.

Now if we could get a Spanish translator, then it could reappear in the list.

Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml

5. Diapsalma

Diapsalma Chieftain

Hi. Maybe a stupid question but when customizing a game there is a victory condition called industrialisation. I cant find any info on what it is?

6. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Start the Industrial Revolution (production rate per turn)

If you want to know in more detail, then it is:
    Spoiler :
    first team to produce 10k yields in a single turn.
    Yields are cargo (food, cotton etc) as well as yields, which can't be transported like bells, hammers and crosses.

7. Diapsalma

Diapsalma Chieftain

Thanks!

8. Juku Salonen

Juku Salonen Chieftain

Is there an XML reference for WTP or even Civ4Col somewhere? A lot of it is self-explanatory, but I do wonder about the exact effects sometimes.

9. raystuttgart

A lot of the XML documentation created for Civ4BTS is still valid for most of the general things.
    (I would estimate that it is about 70% of all the tags - but it is usally XML tags are are easy to understand anyways.)

A complete XML documentation for Civ4Col does not exist to my knowledge.
    A few XML files had been explained of Civ4Col in detail over the time though.

Once in TAC we had started creating an XML documentation but it was all just in German.
    (I am not even sure where I could find it today. And a lot of it is also outdated considering WTP.)

For WTP we never got to the point where we had enough time to writing guides.
    It is really tedious work to write such extensive guides and often they get outdated quite fast if a mod is still in development like WTP is.

------

Summary:
    • Some of the XML documentation from Civ4BTS is still valid - but it is mostly about tags that are easy to understand anyways.
    • There are a few smaller Civ4Col specific XML guides spread out there over the forums - but for WTP they are partially outdated as well.
    • For WTP we have not found the time to start an XML documentation until now - it would currently eat up too much valuable resources.
    ------

That is by the way one example why we wanted to start "WTP Modding Academy". :think:
    We had intended to explain the XML files and other important things new modders might need to know.

But interest from community was basically non-existant. :dunno:
    All participants were either already modders or supporters of WTP.

Thus we more or less stopped further efforts for it ...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  10. Juku Salonen

Juku Salonen Chieftain

I get it that it's a PITA to maintain a reference sheet when basically nobody uses it. Normally, that'd be a 'chicken and egg' situation, though. :p

But WTP seems to be at a point where 'casual' modding pretty much doesn't exist anymore.

Can you point me towards one? A brief search of the forums showed nothing.

I'd like to read it anyway, but if it's too hard to find, well, leave it be.

In theory, if you're changing the effects of an XML tag so frequently and completely the reference becomes truly useless, your mod is breaking some fundamental game design rules.

I don't think that specifically is an issue for WTP, most tags are working roughly the same pretty much all of the time. And entering new tags into an existing reference shouldn't really be too hard for people adding new tags. After all, what's the point of externalising data without explaining what exactly got externalised?

I guess the bigger problem is that someone would have to create the reference in the first place, and enforce adding new entries to it or do it themselves. And that's not particularly fun. :(

I guess I'll have to live with code-diving, then.

11. raystuttgart

It is simply a matter of effort and time thus motivation. :dunno:
    The WTP Modding Academy (maybe with recordings) would have been a lot more efficient and less tedious for me than writing.

But if community wants to start writing such XML documenation that would be cool. :thumbsup:
    And whenever something is unclear, community members could simply ask the experienced modders.

It is like always, somebody needs to start ...

12. Villovik

Villovik Chieftain

How can i modify "random map creation"
    Somebody work on it?

13. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Random maps are in PublicMaps. Apart from adding large rivers I don't think there is any work done. The random map generators are python scripts and can be identified by the .py file extension.

Everybody are free to modify and/or create their own new map scripts. In fact it's encouraged to do so. However I have to say that making a good random map maker isn't the easiest part of modding. If anybody can do it, then we would like to welcome said person to be part of the modding team.

raystuttgart likes this.
  14. Link Gaetz

Link Gaetz Chieftain

Is buying land from natives just broken? It doesn't seem to reduce the relations hit much, if at all.

I took over some settlements from another European colony, was asked to buy the land, and said yes. Immediately I get a -12 penalty for "You have stolen our land".

In a different game, I started my second inland colony and was asked to pay for the land (2 squares away from larger settlement with the two tile radius DLL), which I did. I immediately get a -2 penalty. They attack and raze the settlement a few turns later. Meanwhile, another European had founded a settlement right next to one of their villages and left it undefended for some 15-odd turns and was not attacked. The AI seems to be extremely tolerant of aggressive settling from other Europeans but not the player. In fact I can barely recall the AI ever starting wars against other Europeans, whereas they certainly do against the player (Omagua and Shuar in particular).

15. raystuttgart

It is not broken, but it is also not a "miracle weapon". ;)
    (When you buy the land the relations impact for "stealing land" is reduced by 2. Actually it gives a minor +2 on the "recent good actions".)

It does not prevent that you do not get any negative impact for "stealing land" at all.
    (As I tried to explain, it just reduces it.)

The feature also prevents that the Natives directly start a war. Or if it happens, it is directly ended again.
    (In original Vanilla that was actually the case sometimes.)

That can easily happen if you e.g. play 2-Plot-City-Radius and the land you acquire around the conquered city includes lots of plots originally stolen.

The "Attitude reactions" (e.g. for stealing land) depend massively on the difficulty setting you play at.
    Also, standard difficulty setting for European AIs playing at themselves is "Explorer". (Thus Natives are more forgiving to them.)

Every tribe has different "base balancing" for attitudes (also e.g. for "stealing land).

Do not expect all of them to benave the same.
    Some are more forgiving others are very easily angered.

Omagua and Shuar are actually 2 of the most aggressive tribes in the game when it comes to stealing their land.

---------

Yes, the Natives reacts differently to European AIs - mostly because the play at a low difficulty setting.
    If you yourself play at a high difficulty setting, the AIs will get further bonusses for Native Attitudes.

Try to settle near "peaceful" tribes first.

Be careful about conquering Settlements of AIs that have settled near aggressive Tribes.
    (They have become generally very angry - and if you conquer the City and keep it, they may direct their anger against you.)

Still, paying the "Fee to buy land", reduces their anger a bit - it will not completely prevent aggressiveness though.
    (If you do not pay it, they will become angry a lot faster though.)

---------

Summary:
    From what I read, everything seems to be working as designed. :dunno:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    XSamatan likes this.
  16. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Emperor

I agree. RaR and now WTP require a more different style than the Arcade style of the unmodded original game. The player who analysis the traits / behaviour of the different tribes, his leader and other Europeans and alignes his style for the game with these will succeed.

Take some time and study the situation, traits etc. of the tribes and Europeans around you.

raystuttgart likes this.
  17. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

There is one issue with natives and land. If a European player (like AI Spain) kills a bunch of natives, then the land will become unowned. If another European settles there, then the natives will go "you have stolen our land" and declare war. There is no indication that the natives view the land as their land if their settlements are gone.

18. Link Gaetz

Link Gaetz Chieftain

Urgh... I can see some of the logic behind this but is there any way to change this, and/or has it been tried?

It's pretty clear that they're more aggressive since they start off annoyed whereas others start cautious or even pleased, but they still roll over for other Europeans and that's what I'd like to avoid. I don't want to have an easier time against other Europeans - I want the natives to stand a better chance against other Europeans.

I've played exclusively on Patriot + Revolutionary and other Europeans don't always do well, but they do spam crappy settlements everywhere, often right next to native settlements. The more aggressive Europeans (Cortes, sometimes Portuguese) can get away with leaving these mostly undefended and just steamroll natives with fat stacks of line infantry. I suppose that's not ahistorical for Cortes but North America's history went a lot differently.

Is it possible/has it been tried to implement a two-tile minimum distance for founding next to native settlements? I know it would make the initial start harder for the AI but there are usually enough places for every European to found their first coastal settlement... although they really seem to like sailing right next to yours if they can.

19. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

I'm having trouble getting any founding fathers. I'm bottlenecked on political points, and the AIs have a ridiculous amount of FFs compared to me... is the AI just ******** and spending all its hammers on politics or am I missing something?

20. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Another question, when bargaining native mercs for half the cost, what's the tradeoff? Relations impact?