• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .
Does anyone know why this cities defense does not get reduced lower than 64%. Does not get lower no matter how many arty is bombing it.
BombCity.png

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say that this is probably my favourite mod for civ 4 colonization. I can literally just sit and play this for hours and its very therapeutic for some reason :D

However, there are some features that I saw in the other mod i quite like, in particular, Dawn of a New Era.

The trade routes toward the mid to end of a game are just brutal. How hard would it be to literally copy the trade menu from Dawn of a New Era?

Literally, with that one feature, this mod would be perfect.

I know how to code in a variety of languages, so if it wasnt that hard, i'd do it myself for myself lol. But would be nice to hear from those who have been doing the mod what has been preventing them from making that feature a bit better!

Thank you everyone.

That is literally my only complaint. Everything else is soo cool.

... what has been preventing them from making that feature a bit better!
Simply lack of time and motivation ...
Not sure which other answer you expect. :think:

There are a thousands things that could make this mod even better.
But there is almost nobody still interested to invest time and work for it in his spare time.

This is one of the main reasons I have completely quit modding myself.
I simply also have a private life and also want to play games sometimes myself.

There are however still a few people contributing a bit in their spare time ... but their time and motivation is limted as well.
So currently it is mostly about improvements to the code base or bugfixing ... in other words maintenance.

Without contributing modders there is not much progress to expect ...
If you feel more should be done .. well there is nothing from stopping you to contribute.

How hard would it be to literally copy the trade menu from Dawn of a New Era?
Maybe a few weekends of work. In total about 40 hours probably for an experienced modder.
So if you are motivated and skilled enough to invest that effort go ahead. :thumbsup:

It has been on the todo list for 10 years now ... but until now nobody ever volunteered to invest that effort.
Especially since the people still contributing were usually already busy with modding other things or private life.

That is literally my only complaint.
It is just that complaints to do not solve anything ... they never have.
So sorry that I react a bit negative to naive questions like "Why did you not do this?" ... ;)

To formulate it very clearly:
There are so few contributing modders left that it is almost a wonder that we still get bugfixes ...
So community should be happy that at least these few modders still care.

In the real world things simply only get done if somebody is willing to work for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

I totally get it. I would only even ask that question because I like the rest of the mod so much haha. I mean, i could think of other things to complain about, i guess, but honestly, those things are so minor that i could really care less. this mod is simply amazing, so please dont think i want to pick on you guys haha.

I also wondered if maybe there was a political motivation, i.e. not wanting to steal from another group of modders, or something along those lines. Or maybe, the actual work required was a lot more than you'd think to add that one feature.

Have you personally looked at the task yourself and what it would entail within the code base?

If you have, I'd be open to working on this piece if its something I could reasonably handle. It would be a lot for me to just jump in and search for everything, so if you had some resources, knowledge, or whatever else to share, it would help me decide if i could handle this and where i might start.

I actually have a bachelor of computing science, i dont code much these days, but im sure skill wise, i could probably do it. I imagine that it'd be a bit of a time investment to learn the codebase, which is why itd help a lot to have some notes or pointers on where to start with that task :)

Practically speaking, i know (or can relearn) how to do basic coding in general, but not a ton of experience.

What level of ability with programming/coding or other skills would be required for this endeavor in your opinion?

Thank you, and you give very detailed replies. I like you already :D

so please dont think i want to pick on you guys haha.
No problem, that was not my impression.
I just considered the question a bit naive ... :)

Have you personally looked at the task yourself and what it would entail within the code base?
No, not really. I had other priorities. :dunno:
I would also have to start from scratch to implement this.

What level of ability with programming/coding or other skills would be required for this endeavor in your opinion?
It is mostly about having the right mindest ... motivation and perseverance. :badcomp:
Everything else comes with experience from reading the existing code and understanding how it is structured and what it does.

So most importantly really is to take the time to read and understand.
Sure, being able to read C++ is useful.

Start with the understanding the concepts and the structure of the game and its XML.
Then take a look at examples and try to learn which objects and functions the code base offers.

Practically speaking, i know (or can relearn) how to do basic coding in general, ...
That is a good start. :thumbsup:

Still there is no easy and fast way to learn modding honestly ... it requires a bit of time invest.
Take your time and the rest will come by itself.

I also wondered if maybe there was a political motivation, i.e. not wanting to steal from another group of modders, or something along those lines
No ... quite the contrary ... most remaining WTP programmers would have been too proud to copy code from another mod these days. :)
Mostly because we all believe that the code we could implement ourselves would be better and more efficient anyways than just copying what others did.

Whenever something big was implemented it was usually easier and cleaner for us to start from scratch and do our own solution.
It is usually truly easiest to program a big feature in your own style ... especially if you want to maintain it later ... it will ensure you truly understand it.

However it is nothing wrong about looking what other people did in their code ... it is perfectly allowed
At some point however that will be more effort than directly implementing your own solution.

------

But yeah sounds good and new modders are always welcome.
Maybe get in contact with @Nightinggale over at our discord.

Over at discord is where all the modders discuss technical stuff.
So there you can then also ask for help if you need it.

Wish you a lot of fun modding. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom