WW II December 1941

Hi.

This is a really complex and promissing MOD! Well done! :goodjob:
Thank you Luthor!!!!!!!:)

I certainly like having a limit on Settlers and workers! But why to have all the units with a limit? I think I understand the purpose but having an economical restriction would be better than a physical limitation. You already have more advance units to cost more but maybe there are other things that can be done (example: the cost of building a unit would increase x% for each unit already in the game?). I must say that if there is one thing I do not like in this game is the limitation of number of all units. It seems... too artificial.
Well the first reason i did this is because with unristrictid units you can build up too many fronts. It is not realistic to fight in more than 2 wars or in best case 2.5 . Without the restriction it is easy too conquer the world fighting on several fronts. You have too pick your battles this way.
The second is based on the limits of my PC. It couldn't handle the large amount :D . But that's fixed now. But the first reason is my main reason.

Having an economic restriction is difficult. I think for example USA can easily overcome this, but i'll think about it.

I would suggest to reduce the type of available units of the game. For instance, Germany starts with 9 (?) available Tanks to build. I think that it is too much, it does add to the game and just makes it unnecessarly more complex.
It is a leftover from the base mod from Dacubz. I agree there are too many types. I tried to counter it by expanding the tech tree, but because the scenario starts in 1941 too many types can already be build.

I do believe that the '0' sight idea is a good idea in theory. But I do not think it is very practical, specially in SinglePLayer. This game is already heavy and this idea force us to have more units and to do a heavy logistical work of scouting (which isn't very fun IMHO) so (unless there is a auto scout button that works real well) I do not think it adds to the game, on the contrary.
The general has +1 sight and vehicles have the ability to have the recon promotion. My intention is to give spies and partisans this advantage too. Plus the sattelite tech was intended too give all units +1 but i forgot too put this in at the launch of the update.
An auto scout button would be nice, unfortunatly not within range of my modding skills

I would be interesting in trying this MOD in MultiPLayer. But for that it would help to have a different group and order of nations. Would it be possible to do it?
For instance if you could just change Italy with Turkey it would allow the following order:
It's a good suggetion and i'll get on it when i have time.

Thank you for the feedback!!

Well, i´d like to share some comments, after playtesting more than 150 turns with Brazil. I chose Brazil not only for its potential, but because i wanted to see how the AI handled ww2 on his own, without human interference.

1) From a military point of view, it´s a total stalemate. not sure if that would eventually happen in every iteration, but the AI sucks at handling US military. as a result, japan conquered 90% of china. nazi germany still controls almost the same territory as in 1941.
but realistically, can you expect more from the AI? i seriously doubt it.

2) In any case, that´s not the main issue with the scenario... the big deal here is with the techs! the US and UK are able to discover techs at a pretty fast rate, surpassing the axis, easily. and with the 1 turn = 1 week time rate, you end up having 2nd generation tanks in 1945...
is there a way to fix that? dont know... =(
what about increasing the maintenance cost of US-UK units so the burden is higher, forcing the AI to reduce the percentage on tech discovery?

3) Regarding the development of brazil, it was a great experience. i think you hit the spot on the cost of the "goods factory". it´s not that cheap, but not cost prohibitive either.

4) Despite some odd war declarations (like colombia on nepal???), the diplomacy between the main countries worked fine. no weird US-Germany alliances or something like that.

5)
I would suggest to reduce the type of available units of the game. For instance, Germany starts with 9 (?) available Tanks to build. I think that it is too much, it does add to the game and just makes it unnecessarly more complex.
at first sight, i have to agree with luthor. but on second thoughts, with the current units restriction, sometimes you are forced to build these other "second best" units, to keep on building up your army.

6)
I do believe that the '0' sight idea is a good idea in theory. But I do not think it is very practical, specially in SinglePLayer. This game is already heavy and this idea force us to have more units and to do a heavy logistical work of scouting (which isn't very fun IMHO) so (unless there is a auto scout button that works real well) I do not think it adds to the game, on the contrary.
I agree with luthor on this too. it´s pretty boring to use so many units on scouting...

7) too many naval units...

8) the tech tree looks great right now. maybe you can expand it a little bit, to counter the tech rate issue?

to sum up, this scenario is awesome. what´s really killing it right now, from my point of view, is the tech issue.
and i agree with luthor that it could eventually work as a multiplayer scenario.

1) yes, thats a problem. Maybe i'll have the US land on west africa, a bit prior to the original landings.

2)yes tech developement of UK/USA sucks. Unless you are one of them of course. I'll have another serious look at it. I already inreased maintenance costs, especially for USA, but again, not enough.

3):thumbsup:

4)Nice to hear. I had UK bailing on me when playing USA. Even SU dropped the sword. Still beating the crap out of the axis though

7) yes, i did not spend a lot of time in studying naval positions and total force.

8) post wwII tech tree is at my list for the next larger update. The next update i'll handle sight (thinking about it at least), maintenance costs and multi player.

Large problem is the tech tree to synchronize with the date. In almost all wwII mods i've played that's a problem. I thought of making the turns by month again. I don't know yet.

to sum up, this scenario is awesome
I really enjoy working this mod. I started modding just for myself, but it's nice to hear others are liking it too.
Keep up the feedback!!!!!

Well the first reason i did this is because with unristrictid units you can build up too many fronts. It is not realistic to fight in more than 2 wars or in best case 2.5. Without the restriction it is easy too conquer the world fighting on several fronts. You have too pick your battles this way.
In way USA fought in at least 3 different fronts after June 1944: South Europe, France and Pacific. And to call Pacific operation theatre one front may not even be correct.

Anyway, if the game is too easy you can always increase the difficulty level. I am sure that fighting in one front in the Deity level may already be too hard!

I am no modder so I have no clue of how easy or difficult is to change things. But here are some possible ways of doing it:
- Make advanced units even more expensive. The Tiger II unit was so heavy that sometimes roads collapsed beneath them so they should get an extremely high maintenance cost.
- Make expensive buildings necessary to build those special units (like the rare Tigers and ME-262's).
- To make the cost of production of each unit to vary according to their individual numbers (I've seen this in a few MOD's and it works well).
- To have units produced to cost hammers but also population. So 1 regular unit of infantry would cost 1 population and 1 special infantry unit could cost 2 of population.
- You can always just increase the general maintenance cost of the Army.

I do think that some special units should have limits in numbers, but in general I prefer that there is no artificial limit on what to build.

To counter the number of types you can just make some of them obsolete with others. I think that some of the types are really weaker than others so being available only takes space without much use.

One other thing: religion - why did you remove it? There is very little buildings that give happiness and culture. I think that religion should be in (even if there is no HolyCity) as it adds to the game.

Omg, already played 200 turns with Italy!! Looks like I am going to be completely addicted to this mod!!

Congrats for the work!

Some issues:

1) What am i supposed to do when playing with Belgium? No partizans, 1 infantry division in London, and 1 settler and cavalary in north pole?? Why Congo is not Belgien?

2) Macau and Goa should be Portuguese.

I'll keep on posting my feedback ;)

4) Jakarta should be renamed into Batavia

5) When playing with Mussolini, the English fleet committed suicide against my mines in the Mediterranean sea. Is there a way where AI simply avoids contact against mines? It could be interesting if an English Mine tender removes an Italian mine too.

6) Maginot Line should be already constructed in France

7) Personally I don't like to upgrade Freighter into Landing Ship: more expensive, slower, less cargo space. The only plus is the 20 strength. Is it possible to improve, at least the cargo space?

8) Here is one of my preferred scenarios: Earth 1942 AD: World War II
From here, you can have really nice hints about WW2 geography, units placement, etc. It is also good for a future 1942 scenario :D

9) My save game with Japan, June 1943, no "Load Game after bad turn" :)
View attachment Emperor Hirohito AD-1941-December-Week 2.zip

Keep up with this mod man :) :goodjob:

I tried it but it loads fine. Nothing seems to be wrong with it.

Interesting what you have accomplished with Japan. Are you going to push trough to middle east or engage the soviets?

I'll try to engage the Russians with Hitler, after I secure middle east.
For the moment my priorities are:
-Secure the Pacific and sink everything that comes near my 2 main bases. Simple strategy to cut off USA production
-Continuing preparing an defensive line in Manchukuo, for an eventual surprise attack from the USSR
-Hold Pakistan, and prepare invasion just to Suez. Maybie I'll attack Cairo and Khartoum, and then give it to the Germans :p

URSS have 2 or 3 huge armies in North Africa fighting the Italians. Hopefully, I'll try to kill them all at Suez.
If I stop the war against the Americans, they will have time to build up huge armies, and prepare surprise invasions. So, I prefer to continue the war :)

10) Why it is not possible to destroy Railroads/Highways/Roads? That would be very important to build up defenses, to have the attacking Armies exactly where I want them to be

I tried it but it loads fine. Nothing seems to be wrong with it.

Interesting what you have accomplished with Japan. Are you going to push trough to middle east or engage the soviets?

There is no problem about loading the file :crazyeye: What I meant is that I never load the game after I got a bad turn, like lots of people uses to do :)

5) The ai is hard to manage. Maybe making mines stronger it will prevent them from suicidin on them. Or i'll let mines commit suicide after being attacked. Don't no yet

6) yes of course. thank you

7) Yes it is on my list. The upgrade makes no real sense.

8) Don't know about a 1941 scenario yet. I don't think it will change much other then the nazies in retreat. I'm thinking about a 1944 or 1945 scenario to advance to the cold war. Not sure yet.

10) You CAN destroy them with spies or better the partisan units. I don't know why it can't be done by air. Sometimes i use recon unit with 6+ movement to do the job.

Working on a small update:

usa, GB expenses go way up,
germany has better research possibility,
better defences (units: anti tank defences and fortress, so for example moscow will not be so easily captured)
air recon has +1 sight,
spies and partisans have +1 sight,
machine guns immobile ( use truck to move them)
Tiger tank is stronger but way more expensive to build

Just to let u know, I keep on playing this mod :p
Guess what, as Italians I got nucked in Tanzania by the British! Interesting..

Attachments

• Mussolini AD-1943-July-Week 2.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 104
Just to let u know, I keep on playing this mod :p
Guess what, as Italians I got nucked in Tanzania by the British! Interesting..

That's very interesting. I'm trying to make the scenario even more interesting when playing with the greater nations like USSR or usa or Germany. I'm making Moscow defences stronger with special anti tank defences and fortresses, so you can't overrun the soviets in a few turns as germany.

I've made Expenses for the usa and uk way higher than before so they won't exceed in research. Also German/nazi labs have a higher research rate.

Top Bottom