[Xtended] Things, Typos, & Bugs...

two minor issues regarding choping down forests:

- building a mine on a forested hill (no matter ancient or normal forest) rewards much less lumber than building other improvements or just chopping down

- choping down an ancient forest requires engeneering, but building an improvement on ancient forest chops it down ignoring the requirement. IMO engeneering is a pretty harsh requirement to be able to chop it down. Maybe allow to chop it down with reduced lumber before engeneering.

hyborem only option ,in relation with barb hordes - is to sell their own poulation -this aint right...

Finnally found that aosi larincsidhe stuff at the pedia . under rituals section return to glory rite

no idea, whats the reason, but AI calabim is wiped out from the map pretty frequently first - my guess -calaabim units do not have city defence bonus, even AI barbs can take cities as well.

enchantement cloister - a couple of hammers are not worth of investement.

I'd like to see one civ with timber improvement as their favourite - some civs favourite is less useful for them anyway.

Last edited:
Guys, I've played a few games on Prince difficulty now and the same thing seems to happen: AI civs expand extremely slowly. In my current game at turn 200, the Balseraphs have 1 city, the Lanun 2 and the Elohim are by far the largest with 4-5 cities. There's tons of unsettled land, but nobody seems to want it.

Is this a bug or is it just an unfortunate consequence of the numerous default goblin towers being really damn hard to destroy early game and killing the enemy settlers before they manage to build cities? I only have 3 cities by turn 200 due to aforementioned constant and unrelenting goblin invasions being a huge PITA to put down.

Would much appreciate a tunedown in numbers of goblins guarding each lair, if this is the reason for the lack of AI expansion.

Also, I get a bunch of errors when starting a new game, but it does not seem to have that much effect on my game in itself:

Is this intentional or even relevant? Do I need to reinstall or something?

Agreed- AI is very careless, speaking of barbs, automated scout units simply run under barb forts noses and what happens next is very clear. Although - clearing forts AI does it work as it should - brings overwhelming forces.

Guys, I've played a few games on Prince difficulty now and the same thing seems to happen: AI civs expand extremely slowly. In my current game at turn 200, the Balseraphs have 1 city, the Lanun 2 and the Elohim are by far the largest with 4-5 cities. There's tons of unsettled land, but nobody seems to want it.
The AI is just not very good. Although, considering that this game is quite complex, the AI is still decent. I would recommend to play on at least monarch difficulty. It gives the AI an easier time but you should still be able to beat them.

Also, I get a bunch of errors when starting a new game, but it does not seem to have that much effect on my game in itself:

Is this intentional or even relevant? Do I need to reinstall or something?
The error are only concerning "BUG", which enhances the user interface. It doesn't affect gameplay at all. I think I get similar error messages at the start of my games and I just ignore them.

Tried yet another game on Erebus Continent, Prince difficulty. All enemy civs have 2 cities, even the Clan of Embers who should be able to expand without getting barbarian-slammed

Something is clearly wrong here. This was not an issue in earlier versions of MoM.

I play immortal - deity - AI has "bonuses" vs barbs and for you - you absolutely must know what you are going to do and - need a good starting location - resources for your plans

Immortal- deity AI mostly outexpands and outbuilds you, you must be clever and prepared.

And this was not an issue on similar difficulty levels in earlier versions of MoM - the Clan and Doviello in particular expanded to titanic sizes, barbarians or not.

Tried yet another game on Erebus Continent, Prince difficulty. All enemy civs have 2 cities, even the Clan of Embers who should be able to expand without getting barbarian-slammed

Something is clearly wrong here. This was not an issue in earlier versions of MoM.
It's quite possible, that there is some bug in the AI behaviour. If you investigate some AI cities, you can often notice that there are settlers sitting idle in the city. So it could be that the AI tried to settle, failed because of some reasons like for example barbarians near the future city location, and didn't try again after that. But it is sometimes hard to tell what exactly the AI is doing. And it is even harder to fix.
So the best way, to give the AI a good chance is, as said before, to increase the difficulty.

It's quite possible, that there is some bug in the AI behaviour. If you investigate some AI cities, you can often notice that there are settlers sitting idle in the city. So it could be that the AI tried to settle, failed because of some reasons like for example barbarians near the future city location, and didn't try again after that. But it is sometimes hard to tell what exactly the AI is doing. And it is even harder to fix.
So the best way, to give the AI a good chance is, as said before, to increase the difficulty.
Threat level issue and the way the AI put values to certain tiles. Try opening a game with out barbarians and see if they naturally expand; If they do not, it is a bug. Try blockading 3 side of the AI city with really powerful units and see if the AI move next. They do not half the time because of the threat level because they have to defend certain tiles that have a defense value and really hard to reach that value on lower difficulty.

Threat level issue and the way the AI put values to certain tiles. Try opening a game with out barbarians and see if they naturally expand; If they do not, it is a bug. Try blockading 3 side of the AI city with really powerful units and see if the AI move next. They do not half the time because of the threat level because they have to defend certain tiles that have a defense value and really hard to reach that value on lower difficulty.
I'd like to try that, actually. How do I start a non-barbarian game? I only get raging barbarians as an option, not no or fewer barbarians.

1) Had you played another mod before starting the game(s)? If yes, I recommend clearing the setup by using Play Now! There might be hidden options/whatnot from other games which interferes with MoM.

2) Try playing with other map scripts to see the AI behaviour.

3) Try increasing the difficulty.

I test the mod with Lake map script of various size, Monarch difficulty, normal speed and AI civs expand. Clan of Embers more than other civs because of their Barbarian trait.

That being said, yes, there are holes on AI behaviour (like some settlers stay in cities, sending settlers with only a few units, units getting frozen when their target tile is no longer valid etc) but unfortunately, I don't have the ability to mod it.

Hmm, I always play custom games. Gonna try a game with Play Now instead. I always launch the game using the desktop shortcut, maybe that could be an issue.

Uh, oookay, running a game in "Play Now" instead of as a custom game changed a ton of stuff in the early game at least. Before, my scouts would be instaslaughtered from turn 2 when they walked next to a barbarian dwelling, now they can actually explore entirely unmolested.

Gonna play 150 turns or so, see if the AI expands.

You just need to lunch the game one time with "play now" to clear the options. After the you can use custom game.

For some reason Conjure Matter only cost 69 mana instead of 138 if playing with balseraphs . Not sure if other civilisations are affected too.

EDIT: seems like all spell have a 50% discount

Last edited:
Nope, just tried a Play Now game. While much more playable than previously, the AI is STILL extremely passive in Prince difficulty. At turn 160, most cities an AI has had is 3, while several have only ever built 1. Barbarians are MUCH more maangeable and less of a huge pain in the ass, though, so it definitely made the game better.

I suspect my installation is borked - can anyone confirm this?

Nope, just tried a Play Now game. While much more playable than previously, the AI is STILL extremely passive in Prince difficulty. At turn 160, most cities an AI has had is 3, while several have only ever built 1. Barbarians are MUCH more maangeable and less of a huge pain in the ass, though, so it definitely made the game better.

I suspect my installation is borked - can anyone confirm this?
It's hard to know for sure from the distance, but from what I read, I suspect your installation is fine and it's just bad AI behaviour. If you want to test this further, you could try games on a higher difficulty level and look at the difference in AI behaviour. If the AI then still doesn't expand very well, then something might be wrong. Of course you could always reinstall the mod and look for a difference, but that might be a bit tedious and unnecessary.

Top Bottom