YnAMP sub-project: True location corresponding city names

Thanks @Gedemon I'll do that.

Another thought: there is pretty strong evidence that the upcoming double-civ pack will be Macedonia and Persia (there is mention of them in the game files). I've been considering how this will work for our TSL, and this is what I've come up with so far:

Spoiler Play Europe Again :
GREECE_PEA.png

Greece will need some shuffling. I think Pericles should move out of Thessaloniki, either to Constantinople or, should Constantinople be required for Byzantines/Ottomans, then instead to Ephesos. Doing that will allow Alexander to move in to Pella, Macedonia's capital. The alternative to this is that Pericles stays put and Alexander's capital becomes Gordion. While this was never Macedon's capital, it is where Alexander cut the Gordian Knot, so it does have some connection to him, and it is in Anatolia. Keep in mind though that there is a plan to move Arabia to Damascus once we have the city names for that area done, so that would also help to fill Anatolia.
PERSIA_PEA.png

For Persia I was originally thinking of Tehran, but having looked at the map I now prefer Tabriz. As a more historical alternative it might also be possible to do Ecbatana somewhere in between.

Spoiler GEM :
GREECE_GEM.png
With Athens Pella is not an option on GEM, and only the southern part of Anatolia is settleable with Byzantion/Constantinople and Hattusa where they are. The next best option then is Skopje, modern Macedonia's capital.
PERSIA_GEM.png

All the exact locations in Persia are guesswork at the moment as the city map isn't done there. However, I think Tabriz, Susa, Persepolis and Pasargadae can be ruled out for being to close to other starts. This leaves Ecbatana (ancient), Isfahan (medieval), or Tehran (industrial) as the options.

Thoughts, anyone?

Giant Earth city names. Northern America.

I just for the fun of it tried adding some true city names for the Giant Earth map. The reason was that I started out a game as America and noticed this area hasn't been covered yet with true city names.

As a test I added city / town names for Newfoundland, Labrador and eastern Quebec. I tested it and it seems to work. So I think I have figured out how to do this correctly.

Is there anyone already set on the task adding true city names to Central and Northern America to the Giant Earth map? If no then I can contribute.

My plan was to start in eastern Northern America (Canada first) and the move westwards to Alaska and then south to Mexico and beyond. However, this is a huge task so I don't mind helping out with just parts of the job.

Is Greenland already added? If not then I can probably add that too. I seem to remember I saw Iceland already added.

Where do I upload work completed? Github? I downloaded Github, but haven't set that up yet since I'm still waiting for the confirmation email.

I love this great project. And I'm wondering if I have a chance to create a new city-state in the game? Maybe I can create Taipei City as a new city-state?

I just for the fun of it tried adding some true city names for the Giant Earth map. The reason was that I started out a game as America and noticed this area hasn't been covered yet with true city names.

As a test I added city / town names for Newfoundland, Labrador and eastern Quebec. I tested it and it seems to work. So I think I have figured out how to do this correctly.

Is there anyone already set on the task adding true city names to Central and Northern America to the Giant Earth map? If no then I can contribute.

My plan was to start in eastern Northern America (Canada first) and the move westwards to Alaska and then south to Mexico and beyond. However, this is a huge task so I don't mind helping out with just parts of the job.

Is Greenland already added? If not then I can probably add that too. I seem to remember I saw Iceland already added.

Where do I upload work completed? Github? I downloaded Github, but haven't set that up yet since I'm still waiting for the confirmation email.
As far as I know no one is working on any of North & Central America at the moment, so go right ahead. The only part that has been done there is the Caribbean, which @Weverton J da Silva has been working on. As for GitHub, you should look in the guide on the first page of this thread, which walk you through the process. When you're finished just post some pictures of a playthough to the forum so we can see what you've done!

I've just pushed a small change to add temporary CityMap entries to TSL that doesn't fit the game's capitals names (IE: Moscow, Thebes, Mecca)

I've just submitted a pull request to correct the gap in city map south of Kiev on Play Europe map, and also Arytau>Atyrau spell correction. I never thought I had dyslexia before!

Will begin work on GEM city map for Scandinavia (Norway-Sweden-Finland).

Another thought: there is pretty strong evidence that the upcoming double-civ pack will be Macedonia and Persia (there is mention of them in the game files). I've been considering how this will work for our TSL, and this is what I've come up with so far:

View attachment 465679
Greece will need some shuffling. I think Pericles should move out of Thessaloniki, either to Constantinople or, should Constantinople be required for Byzantines/Ottomans, then instead to Ephesos. Doing that will allow Alexander to move in to Pella, Macedonia's capital. The alternative to this is that Pericles stays put and Alexander's capital becomes Gordion. While this was never Macedon's capital, it is where Alexander cut the Gordian Knot, so it does have some connection to him, and it is in Anatolia. Keep in mind though that there is a plan to move Arabia to Damascus once we have the city names for that area done, so that would also help to fill Anatolia.
View attachment 465680
For Persia I was originally thinking of Tehran, but having looked at the map I now prefer Tabriz. As a more historical alternative it might also be possible to do Ecbatana somewhere in between.

Spoiler GEM :
View attachment 465681With Athens Pella is not an option on GEM, and only the southern part of Anatolia is settleable with Byzantion/Constantinople and Hattusa where they are. The next best option then is Skopje, modern Macedonia's capital.
View attachment 465682
All the exact locations in Persia are guesswork at the moment as the city map isn't done there. However, I think Tabriz, Susa, Persepolis and Pasargadae can be ruled out for being to close to other starts. This leaves Ecbatana (ancient), Isfahan (medieval), or Tehran (industrial) as the options.

Thoughts, anyone?
There was a request for conditional alternate TSL, I was reluctant in the case of Egypt/Arabia as directly using the alternative was simplier, but after reflection I think it can be handled with minimal coding.

The code would look for an alternate TSL if another one is detected under the city range limit (3 plots), TSL being set in the Civ selection order, so each (major) civ sharing a TSL with another should have an alternate.

One Civ could have multiple alternate TSL.

There was a request for conditional alternate TSL, I was reluctant in the case of Egypt/Arabia as directly using the alternative was simplier, but after reflection I think it can be handled with minimal coding.

The code would look for an alternate TSL if another one is detected under the city range limit (3 plots), TSL being set in the Civ selection order, so each (major) civ sharing a TSL with another should have an alternate.

One Civ could have multiple alternate TSL.
That sounds neat! If you do decide to implement the feature I would be happy to add some alternative start entries to the map.xml files.

Pull request sent for Scandinavia city map update for GEM. Includes city names for Norway, Sweden, Finland, Karelia and Murmansk region.

I also changed a couple of things in England:

-"Reading" tile: one tile west of England TSL - changed from Reading to London. The AI likes to settle that spot more often than London.
-Lancaster spelling corrected from Lancester.

Spoiler Scandinavia city map for GEM :
upload_2017-3-1_14-51-16.png

View attachment 465679
View attachment 465680

Spoiler GEM :
View attachment 465681With Athens Pella is not an option on GEM, and only the southern part of Anatolia is settleable with Byzantion/Constantinople and Hattusa where they are. The next best option then is Skopje, modern Macedonia's capital.
View attachment 465682

Thoughts, anyone?

Play Europe Again:

Personally I would put Athens, Sparta, and Pella at their real TSLs, I know that the Greek civs would be squashed together but this would create sufficient tension for them to war each other (like the real Athens, Sparta and Makedon). I'd go Ecbatana for Persia.

GEM:
- @Gedemon 's solution would be ideal, we could place Alexander's TSL at Pella, then in case of all 3 greek civs being selected I think Gordion would be a better choice. If we put Alexander's capital at Skopje there will be a lot of angry Greeks!
-Persia - I suggest some creative geography here by moving Persepolis and Pasargadae eastwards. Persia's poor food but good production will likely lead them to attack Sumeria anyway.

Presumably the Persians will get their legendary Immortals. Immortals vs War Carts vs Hoplites on GEM will be good to see! (can't believe Firaxis actually left out Persia, such an iconic Civ).

Spoiler Persia :
upload_2017-3-2_12-47-1.png

Heads up I'll be working on European Russia up to the Caucasus and the Urals for GEM.

I just for the fun of it tried adding some true city names for the Giant Earth map.
Is there anyone already set on the task adding true city names to Central and Northern America to the Giant Earth map?

Coincidentally enough I also started adding city names to North America on around the same day as you, and for the same reason. So far I've mapped almost all of Canada, minus northern Nunavut and the NWT, and a few cities in the US along the west coast. I'd love to contribute to this awesome project but would hate for some of my cities to overlap with yours, since it seems that you've already put in a great effort. Perhaps a collaboration is in order?

Here are some screenshots of my progress so far:
Spoiler Canada City Names :
20170302222242_1.jpg
20170302222229_1.jpg
20170302221655_1.jpg
20170302221705_1.jpg

In the first two images, the desert tiles represent tiles that currently have city names. The latter two are from a quick play test.

So far I've done all of Greenland, NewFoundland, Labrador. Most of northern Quebec, Nunavut, Norrthwest territory. Just started on north of Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Working my way towards Alaska and down to the grasslands in Canada. So I've focused on the polar areas of Canada. That's seems to fit well with what you've done.

I haven't done Nova Scotia, New Brunswich yet or any populated areas in Canada. I stopped short of Quebec and Montreal since I wanted to do the polar areas first. One reason is to get a feeling for the mapping with having lots of known reference points like coast lines and rivers. When you go further inland you need to have a feeling for the distances so you place the names as correctly as possible. I will post screenshots soon.

A cooperation would definitely be good. I can send my my 2 files to you via email if you like or upload them here so you can download them.

My email is: borgerb@online.no

Just send me a reply and I can communicate with you and send the files you need. I can most my settings so far.

Dear all,

I've started working on India (continue from my SE Asian job), Pakistan (from Karachi eastward, from Kashmir southward), Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Expected to finished within few days.

Last edited:
Red Deer seems a little too far west to me. It should probably only occupy the tile to the east and/or northeast of where it is right now.

Yes, I noticed that too and have since changed the location of that city and a few others. Thanks!

European Russia and Ukraine added for GEM, pull request sent on GH.

Notes:
-where there's an old exonym - e.g. "Neugarten" - German name for Novogorod - I have used that even if its no longer in use.
-for scythian names, I used the map below - which presumably firaxis also used since it has most of their default city names list. A lot of russian cities get their names from "russified" indigenous names, e.g. Ufa / Öfö Izhevsk / Iž, Nizhnekamsk / Tübän Kama. Where there's an indigenous name I have used it as the scythian's name. If anyone has any ideas on what to use for the scythian names please feel free to suggest!

Spoiler Scythian archaeology map :

Screenshots from my playtest as Russia:

Spoiler Early Game :
upload_2017-3-5_15-57-48.png

Relations soured drastically when I began attacking everyone :borg:

Spoiler Southern area :
upload_2017-3-5_15-59-32.png

Spoiler Northern area :
upload_2017-3-5_16-0-12.png

Spoiler Eastern area :
upload_2017-3-5_16-0-52.png

Spoiler Strategic View 1 :
upload_2017-3-5_16-1-33.png

Spoiler Strategic View 2 :
upload_2017-3-5_16-2-18.png

Here is an outline of what Sauffenberg and my progress looks like on North America so far:

Canada and a few parts of the United States are mapped. Locations are subject to change, for example I'm wondering if some lesser-known cities should be removed in favor of their more well-known neighbors. Screenshots of what it looks like in-game are likely to come in the next day or so.
Spoiler North America Progress :

Attachments

• Western Canada web.jpg
    Western Canada web.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 475
  • Central Canada web.jpg
    Central Canada web.jpg
    759.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Eastern Canada web.jpg
    Eastern Canada web.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 410
Some updated in-game screenshots of our progress on North America + Greenland so far:
Spoiler Western Canada :
20170309022741_1.jpg
Spoiler Northern Canada :
20170309022757_1.jpg
Spoiler Ontario and Quebec :
20170309022808_1.jpg
Spoiler Atlantic Coast :
20170309022824_1.jpg
Spoiler Greenland and Newfoundland :
20170309022833_1.jpg

Top Bottom