YnAMP sub-project: True location corresponding city names

Some updated in-game screenshots of our progress on North America + Greenland so far:
Spoiler Western Canada :
Spoiler Northern Canada :
Spoiler Ontario and Quebec :
Spoiler Atlantic Coast :
Spoiler Greenland and Newfoundland :

Looks great @Moda !

GEM update - Middle East pull request submitted on Github. Screenshots from Arabia playtest:

Spoiler Middle East (south) :
upload_2017-3-12_14-44-9.png

Spoiler Middle East (north) :
upload_2017-3-12_14-44-34.png

Spoiler Arabia :
upload_2017-3-12_14-44-55.png

Moda and I have now completed North and Central America for the Giant Earth map and we are now playtesting for bugs. Moda will make a pull request for this area soon. He will post the details.

My next target area to map for the Giant Earth map is the remaining parts of Russia so all Arctic areas are modded.

Is there a complete list of areas that still need to be mapped for the different maps?

Here are some screenshots of our completed North America city map for Giant Earth, taken from a couple of play-tests:

Spoiler Central America :
20170312094315_1.jpg
Spoiler Mesoamerica (names here change depending on if the owner is Aztec or not) :
20170312094325_1.jpg
Spoiler Northern Mexico :
20170312094338_1.jpg
Spoiler Eastern United States :
20170312192425_1.jpg
Spoiler Western United States :
20170312211907_1.jpg
Spoiler Hawaii :
20170312224212_1.jpg
Spoiler Alaska (The north is done too. Barbarians halted my hasty attempt to colonize, but you get the picture ;) ) :
20170312232256_1.jpg

As Stauffenberg mentioned above, we will make a pull request on gitHub once we've checked for bugs and are comfortable with its state.

My next target area to map for the Giant Earth map is the remaining parts of Russia so all Arctic areas are modded.

Is there a complete list of areas that still need to be mapped for the different maps?

Good work with the Americas, screenshots look great!

Play Europe Again is complete (I think).

Giant Earth Map to do list AFAIK:
-Africa north of y=29 to Suez
-Siberia east of x=51, Ural mountains.
-Persia/Central Asia, in between x=46 and @guidemwit 's south asia work*

*South Asia (India-Pakistan-Bangladesh-Sri Lanka) currently a work in progress by @guidemwit

Not sure on the status of the Greatest Earth Map.

I'm starting a new job soon which will make it very difficult for me to contribute for a couple of months at least. I have enjoyed working on this project, the Civ community is great. Hopefully we have enough contributors to finish it!

Yes, thanks a lot again everyone, this is a great community project.

My test game for America was halted With the game crashing on turn 185 regardless of what I do. So I need to start a New game all over. So far the cities created had proper names, I managed to settle all the way from Washington to Tampa to San Francisco and Seattle.

Pity that there still are crash situations in the game when the AI's are doing their turn. Had a similar one for Russia on the Europe map, but it was fixed With the last patch.

Play Europe Again is complete (I think).

Giant Earth Map to do list AFAIK:
-Africa north of y=29 to Suez
-Siberia east of x=51, Ural mountains.
-Persia/Central Asia, in between x=46 and @guidemwit 's south asia work*

*South Asia (India-Pakistan-Bangladesh-Sri Lanka) currently a work in progress by @guidemwit

Not sure on the status of the Greatest Earth Map.

I'm starting a new job soon which will make it very difficult for me to contribute for a couple of months at least. I have enjoyed working on this project, the Civ community is great. Hopefully we have enough contributors to finish it!
It's nice that we are able to define progress on GEM with just what is left to do rather than the parts we have done—progress is being made! However, Play Europe Again is not actually complete: there is still one final section in the Middle East pending. @rock_and_ride was working on it and had made some progress, but it hasn't been merged on GitHub and @rock_and_ride hasn't been active here for a couple of months now. Meanwhile, on the Greatest Earth map Australasia, France, and a few capitals have been done, but no serious effort has really commenced yet. Nothing has been done on Largest Earth. I did plan out the names for Australasia for it when I did the other two sizes, but I haven't written the xml yet.
Speaking of progress, the status post on the first page hasn't been updated for ages now. Seeing as you have moderator privileges @Gedemon, would you bring it up to date?

Last edited:
Yes I can edit it, could you send me a PM if there is more, or should I just add the information from your post?

I've finished play-testing the city map additions for North America on the Giant Earth Map. I made a pull request on gitHub, though I'm not entirely sure if I made one properly since it's my first time.
Just let me know if I need to make another one.

I also made some start location changes for Tikal (Maya) and Vancouver in YnAMP - More CS for the World. Although those weren't added in my first pull-request, is it OK to include those as well?

Thanks @brick623. Your additions look fantastic too!

What should I do if there are two important cities sharing the same name?

Hyderabad in Pakistan (3.5 million) vs Hyderabad in India (6.8 million). They are an isolated cities without other important city nearby.

I've finished play-testing the city map additions for North America on the Giant Earth Map. I made a pull request on gitHub, though I'm not entirely sure if I made one properly since it's my first time.
Just let me know if I need to make another one.

I also made some start location changes for Tikal (Maya) and Vancouver in YnAMP - More CS for the World. Although those weren't added in my first pull-request, is it OK to include those as well?

Thanks @brick623. Your additions look fantastic too!

Thanks, but it seems I didn't get the request, can you make it again ?

How can I set Arabia to have an alternate capital if Egypt is also in the game? I'd rather Egypt have the default Ra-Kedet/Alexandria start with Arabia moving to Mecca if that's the case but leave him in Cairo if Egypt is not in it.

I noticed from my playtesting of North Africa With the Giant Earth Map that the city states are not updated properly With the true city names. E. g. Kansas City on the map is being showed as Cheyenne in the city state window. I think other city states have different names in Messages than on the map.

Northern Africa doesn't seem to be mapped. I met Spain there and saw the usual Spanish cities in Morocco like Cádiz, Cordoba etc. Which parts of Africa aren't mapped in Giant Earth Map?

What should I do if there are two important cities sharing the same name?

Hyderabad in Pakistan (3.5 million) vs Hyderabad in India (6.8 million). They are an isolated cities without other important city nearby.
what about adding the province name to the city in Pakistan like wikipedia did to differenciate both?

How can I set Arabia to have an alternate capital if Egypt is also in the game? I'd rather Egypt have the default Ra-Kedet/Alexandria start with Arabia moving to Mecca if that's the case but leave him in Cairo if Egypt is not in it.
This is not coded yet, still thinking on how to handle each case.

A tag to exclude a TSL if another civ (& leader?) is in the game may be a good idea too.

Thanks for letting me know. I made another one, correctly this time I believe!
Thank you, merged!

I noticed from my playtesting of North Africa With the Giant Earth Map that the city states are not updated properly With the true city names. E. g. Kansas City on the map is being showed as Cheyenne in the city state window. I think other city states have different names in Messages than on the map.

Northern Africa doesn't seem to be mapped. I met Spain there and saw the usual Spanish cities in Morocco like Cádiz, Cordoba etc. Which parts of Africa aren't mapped in Giant Earth Map?
see third post in first page, it has been updated.

what about adding the province name to the city in Pakistan like wikipedia did to differenciate both?

This is not coded yet, still thinking on how to handle each case.

A tag to exclude a TSL if another civ (& leader?) is in the game may be a good idea too.

Thank you, merged!

see third post in first page, it has been updated.

It's okay to do that. I already created a pull on Github waiting for your review.

Here is screenshots of South Asia !!
Spoiler Northern India :
20170317193416_1.jpg

Spoiler Southern India :
20170317193423_1.jpg

Also attached here is my Citymap for SE and S Asia for reference transition point around Pakistan @tomaltachpaulson
Spoiler SE and S Asia City Map :
02 SE and S Asia.png

Woops. I forgot to include Cheyenne's start location change in my last pull request. It should take a few seconds to fix. I'll make another small pull request when I do.

crossposting with YnAMP thread, but that something that I should have done since the start: to everyone that has contributed to the mod, please send me a PM with your steam name if you want me to add you as a contributor on steam, TIA.

Top Bottom