Zero day DLC = disrespecting the customer

phungus420

Deity
Having thought about this a bit more I have come to the conclusion that the zero day DLC, as announced, amounts to disrespect and contempt by the company toward Civ fans. Having zero day DLC that provides a special gun or an armor or something is pretty normal, and well accepted, but this is not what Firaxis is doing here with Babylon. Typical zero day DLC is designed and marketed toward hard core fans and usually provides some type of minor cheating or aesthetic consideration (like the collector gun, and dragon armor in Mass Effect), it makes no effect on the actual gameplay, storyline, or core game. It always looks like something as an afterthought, something that can be tacked onto the base game, after the fact; and is not something a typical user will miss. Something like a nice shiny box, a cool manual; that's totally understandable, and helps satiate the demands of some of the more rabid fans. This is not what we are seeing done here though.

What Firaxis is doing with Babylon is investing the time and energy to create a full new civ, and then intentionally removing it from the base game, merely as a way to bilk customers that already intend on purchasing the main product. This is just downright disrespectful. The Firaxis devs have created this content, but are turning around and intentionally removing it in order to get fans of the series to pay more; doesn't this strike anyone else as being inappropriate? Creating extra content at a later time is understandable, but intentionally removing content is another thing altogether. I also wonder what is next? If they are content to do this, it is likely bug fixes and later essential patches will be released as pay only DLC; afterall if they feel it is good and sound business to remove core content, and demand extra cash for it, bug fixes are not much different.

The whole Steam thing, I can understand, I don't personally like it, but it's sound business. DRM has to be implemented and Steam is known for being unobtrusive, and is quite popular among most gamers. What I do not understand or agree with on any level is intentionally removing core game content in an effort to squeeze loyal fans for more dollars; as I said it's juts plain disrespectful and shallow.

So Firaxis I wag my finger at thee

:nono:

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet.

From what I've gathered from scanning the 2K Forums, it seems to me that bug fixes & updates are going to be free of charge! :goodjob:

As long as they offer Babylon as DLC in the near future, I'm personally fine with them doing that.

If they don't release Babylon, then I'm gonna be pissed! :gripe:

The fact is if people dont want to pay the extra money for said civ, they wont. BUT sooner or later they will have access to that civ. Just as people will have access to the game without paying for it. Thats my only problem with requiring steam. They are only going that route for the ability to save money on physical copies that they have to produce and the money they would have to spend on production of the game and still reaching all customers. They are not because steam will somehow magicly keep civ v from being pirated. Its not gonna happen, ever. So my beef is the one time connection deal. Ill have to work a little bit harder to play my legally bought "liscence" to play there game, but for what reason i dont know. If i dl it then fine sure one time dl because i obviously have a connection. But people like me who dont, or people that have no access what so ever, its just them saying, YOU DONT MATTER TO US!

Are they making people pay for the zero-day DLC, or will it just be free with a code you get in a purchased game (like the Dragon Age zero day DLC was)?

Babylon wasn't one of the Civilizations confirmed for release - so you're claiming that you'd be happier if it never existed than if people had the choice to get it?

Are they making people pay for the zero-day DLC, or will it just be free with a code you get in a purchased game (like the Dragon Age zero day DLC was)?

It's one of the bonuses you get if you get the Delux/Collectors edition.

It's not even DLC. It comes with the Delux edition.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet.

Oh, I intend to. This does not change the fact Firaxis is intentionally remove core game content in order to maximize profits. This is fundamentally different then creating new content in order to obtain profits. It's simply sleezy business, which is why I am voicing my opinion.

Having thought about this a bit more I have come to the conclusion that the zero day DLC, as announced, amounts to disrespect and contempt by the company toward Civ fans. Having zero day DLC that provides a special gun or an armor or something is pretty normal, and well accepted, but this is not what Firaxis is doing here with Babylon. Typical zero day DLC is designed and marketed toward hard core fans and usually provides some type of minor cheating or aesthetic consideration [...]

What Firaxis is doing with Babylon is investing the time and energy to create a full new civ, and then intentionally removing it from the base game, merely as a way to bilk customers that already intend on purchasing the main product. This is just downright disrespectful.

Exactly this.
It's just money making.
What if they said, you can buy civ with 10 nations, and get the other X (yes, 8 here) as DLC at the first day?
They are crippling the game just for the money.

I can understand, when they do later on other civs and release them for money (which i sure would NOT buy, but i would understand it), there you can say, that they did not have enough time, enough artists, enough whatever and had to do more important things.
But not with DLC at the first day.
Could not have found a better word than disrespectful.

Couldn't agree more.
The fact that they've pulled a civ out of the game and are marketing it around like some cheap 1+1 deal is disrespectful and downright unprofessional.

A deal where I "get to receive a whole new civ with awesome leader Nebuchadnezzar and Babylonian Bowmen to pwnz0r my enemies" is a label that belongs on packaging for low-quality portable consoles sold at walmart for $14.99.

This is beginning to become like the Sims franchise, where it fell into the deep pit into making half a game, and selling it gradually as 'expansion packs'. I'd rather have the full game first thank you very much. Lets hope the Sims is the only one (at least, that I know of) that does this.

Think about it. How many hours have you spent playing Civ, divide that by the amount of money you spent on it (or the other way around). The result is that Civ is the best deal you have ever gotten out of your entertainment budget. The chances are extremely good that I will continue to buy every possible Civ related thing. It’s a great game and while maybe my time can be better spent my money almost surly cannot be.

Oh, I intend to. This does not change the fact Firaxis is intentionally remove core game content in order to maximize profits. This is fundamentally different then creating new content in order to obtain profits. It's simply sleezy business, which is why I am voicing my opinion.

The core game as announced remains unchanged. 18 core civs. You get the game as announced. Outrage because they already have a another Civ ready is well silly.....
Babylon is a bonus if you want it, not having it will not impede your ability to play.

I paid more for the Civ 3 collectors tin, and the Civ 4 "Bible" box without ANY game benefits. Civ is a passion for me so $10 for the "deluxe" that actually has game additives seems reasonable enough...because Civ is a passion...

Oh and yes. shame on you Firaxis for being in business to make profit.

The question you should be asking is why it is acceptable to charge bricks & mortar prices for digital delivery.

I'm trying hard to be outraged by this...

...but I bought the Collector's Civ4 with the soundtrack, so what the heck.

From what I've gathered from scanning the 2K Forums, it seems to me that bug fixes & updates are going to be free of charge! :goodjob:

That is what you should expect, anyway.

If I buy a new car and the CD player doesn't work, I also expect to be repaired free of charge.

Same with a washing machine. Although it is difficult to find a washing machine with CD tray these days. :lol:

I am neither outraged nor disrespected. Maybe I have self-esteem issues. . .

You know, I'm also having trouble feeling "outraged" by the whole Deluxe Digital Edition thing-seems like a storm in a tea-cup to me. So lets just make sure I've got this straight-if people are prepared to pony up an additional US$10 for the game, they'll get *one* extra civ, an extra game-map & a behind the scenes video of the making of the game? So what?! I say that if they're prepared to pay for that, then more power to them-the first two will almost certainly be in the first expansion set anyway, so personally I think they're wasting their money-but its theirs to waste. Also, if it results in the game being distributed with a lower carbon footprint, then that's a good thing-*right*? RIGHT?!?! Still, its not like I can't choose to go & buy the game from my local EB Games outlet-*right*? RIGHT?!?!
Now *if* they were only giving us half the game; *if* they were forcing us to buy online; *if* they forced us to pay for DLC-then I'd join you in your outrage. As it stands, though, I really only have a modest concern about MP compatibility issues-but I'm hoping they've been smart enough to work around these issues!

Aussie.

Agree the Steam pre-order DLC tease is sleazy. It's turned me off to the game and I've always been a BIG FAN.

It will be modded quite quickly - but I've heard a lot of things about mods not playing very nicely with Steam... Chances are the developers thought out a plan to stop a mod that is basically the DLC. :hmm:

Top Bottom