Cardboard counter

sharick

Warlord
This one was requested by ArbitraryGuy who's working on a very promising ConspiraMod.
It's a similar idea I had some time ago (see thread) to have 1 generic 3D unit which could represent all the missing units by changing 2D texture. The difference is it's not transparent and have a cardboard counter look (on purpose).

Screenshot

Specifications:
Scale was set to 1 in CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml and that's how you see it on screen.
Model has a reference to texture.dds file, so you can have any texture you want but you have to name it like this.
UV coordinates included in zip.

Problems (as usual):
- it's hard to recognise the texture because it's small and camera angle is wrong. Maybe I should incline it a little bit?
- trees and cities cover the unit. Maybe put it higher over the ground?
- when you move the unit it rotates to the direction of movement. I think this one can be changed in XML, because when I first started making units I had the opposite problem and it got solved when I started using default tank instead of howitzer.

This was fairly easy to do, so if you have any suggestions or requests about the shape, angle, texture mapping, feel free to bother me. :)

PS. To anyone who recognise the guy on the counter - HOOAH! see you on the bridge. :ar15:

Attachments

• counter.zip
    57.4 KB · Views: 709
This is kinda interesting. Try making a vertical standing piece - you know, kinda like a cardboard piece with the unit on it stuck on a plastic square base.

that actually looks really cool. I'm starting to think of some sort of board game mod.

Supa said:
Sharick, any interest in this request ? If no, anyone else ?
You mean the same thing but 8 sides (or was it 100?). I'll do it over the weekend. Sorry for the delay. I'm busy atm.

The Conspiramod seems to be on pause but this unit would be super-useful for quick mockups of any game out there so that those of us with more ideas than artistic talent can quickly pull a mod together. Would love ANYTHING you could do to overcome the tree issue! Thanks! :)

btw, is the discussion regarding an 8-sided version proposing that the counter stand up and have 8 visible sides?

If not, one solution to the rotation issue, other than PITA XML modding, is to make this thing a cube and slap the texture on the 5 visible surfaces. This way, no matter which way it turns, you can recognize it... though the image may have to be extra-clear when your camera is pulled back.

We need a giant floating blue d8...

Attachments

• Ramiel the giant blue d8.JPG
    Ramiel the giant blue d8.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 130
Top Bottom