Toho Giant Spiders

Supa

Out of Cheese Error
After Kinboat and his marvelous Spider units and vintage Dark Sheer's Giant Spider, it's my turn to take a shot at these marvelous 8 legged freaks.

Of course, they all come from the various Toho universes :

Shōwa Kumonga

In the pleasing and silly Son of Godzilla (Jun Fukuda - 1967) first appeared the giant spider Kumonga, attacking Minya, the supposed offspring of Gojira on Sogell Island. It later appeared in Destroy All Monsters (Ishirō Honda - 1968), controlled by the invaders before fighting King Ghidorah with all other released monsters. Later Shōwa appearance were all stock footage.

Beside its 45 meters high, Kumonga has another particularity : its ability to shoot its silks by its mouth.

Millenium Kumonga

Another version of Kumonga appeared in 2004 in Godzilla: Final Wars (Ryuhei Kitamura). Although slightly smaller (only 35 meters high :mischief:) than 1967 Kamunga, the new version is much more agile and colorful.

Giant Widows

In the American animated series Godzilla: The Series (1998-2000) appeared yet another giant spider, unrelated to Kumonga.

Bigger than Kumonga (50 meters), the spider was able to fight furiously Zilla Jr.

[URL=http://www.imagup.com/data/1132836679.html] [/URL]

This unit comes in two sizes.

The Giant Widow spawned two types of smaller spiders :

Of course, all these are made for Modzilla although anyone is free to use them.

The web looks great in GIF and Civ3Flc previews but less in the actual game - I don't know why exactly. I might have to revisit it or re-render the units without it.

Download

Supa... those are "Wicked, 8 legged Freaks"! :goodjob:
You can use the sounds I placed for the Wolf and Spitting Spiders if they will help. Probably would need to alter them to fit timing and the exact sounds you want but they might offer something to start with.

In the American animated series Godzilla: The Series (1998-2000) appeared yet another giant spider, unrelated to Kumonga.

Bigger than Kumonga (50 meters), the spider was able to fight furiously Zilla Jr.

The net looks great in GIF and Civ3Flc previews but less in the actual game - I don't know why exactly. I might have to revisit it or re-render the units without it.

I remember that thing :D. That series was how I got into giant monsters. ;)

now i am am wondering, will this lead to other monsters from the animated Zilla Jr. series, if so awesome, my favorite was Komodithrax and Nessie, mainly because they were Zilla's few allies. http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Komodithrax

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'll check out your spider sounds, Vulcadon.

now i am am wondering, will this lead to other monsters from the animated Zilla Jr. series, if so awesome, my favorite was Komodithrax and Nessie, mainly because they were Zilla's few allies.

I'm open to all monsters from the various Toho universes. It all comes down to available models. Godzilla: The Series has already been visited last year, with the release of Zilla Jr and Cyber-Zilla. Whether additional monsters will be added to Modzilla or not is Gojira54's call, although I suspect he can't have enough monsters.

Dang it, Supa, now I'm paralyzed with fear.
Seconded. We'll need skyscraper size boots to step on these!

Awesome units Supa, as usual from you :thumbsup:

I'm open to all monsters from the various Toho universes. It all comes down to available models. Godzilla: The Series has already been visited last year, with the release of Zilla Jr and Cyber-Zilla. Whether additional monsters will be added to Modzilla or not is Gojira54's call, although I suspect he can't have enough monsters.

yea, those guys are sweet

and agree with Wolfhart :goodjob:

Just the fact that you're animating octopeds is impressive, Supa.
The fact that they look so awesome is just cool.

Regarding your web problems: One solution is to give your Spider a 'build barrier' ability, then replace the 'barrier' graphic in the TerrainBuildings.pcx file with a 'web' graphic like this one:

View attachment Web tile.pcx

Then, when units get 'stuck' in the web, the other spiders can swoop in & attack!
Maybe. Mind you, I don't know if it would work or not.

They look too believable. They creep me out. The look and animations are perfect! Great work!:goodjob:

Thanks!

Regarding your web problems: One solution is to give your Spider a 'build barrier' ability, then replace the 'barrier' graphic in the TerrainBuildings.pcx file with a 'web' graphic like this one:

Then, when units get 'stuck' in the web, the other spiders can swoop in & attack!
Maybe. Mind you, I don't know if it would work or not.

It's not a bad idea at all. :)

Great Stuff per usual Supa, and perfect timing with Halloween right around the corner!

I love the rather goofy silk-spitting animation - it fits perfectly with the rather goofy Millenium Kumonga! Not sure how I will work the unit line yet. Great to have a true Kumonga!

Not only will this arachnid pack make it into Modzilla, it also has quite a few uses outside the Modzilla world. There was once a genius Insect Mod in the works - these units + the previous existing spider units = a spider civ (they even have a Mecha!).

One could even make a 1950's horror mod, and use one of these spiders, Tom2050's 50 foot woman, and your Frankenstein & Bride....

I'm glad you like them - how many time did I answer that too you ? I really need to work on my answers. :lol:

Not only will this arachnid pack make it into Modzilla, it also has quite a few uses outside the Modzilla world. There was once a genius Insect Mod in the works - these units + the previous existing spider units = a spider civ (they even have a Mecha!).

Spider Civ was already planned for that, although none of these will find their way into it. Too much fantasy, not enough close to a real species.

One could even make a 1950's horror mod, and use one of these spiders, Tom2050's 50 foot woman, and your Frankenstein & Bride....

Actually, if 'Attack of the Fifties' ever get made (and if I can find a good model), I'll produce a new Spider : a pitch black tarantula for Tarantula (1955) and Earth vs The Spider (1958).

Top Bottom