Global Warming : What happen to which terrain. (answers inside)

Supa

Out of Cheese Error
I've once suggested the idea of an ever moving terrain for a Dune mod (Here) via the transformations generated by pollution. For that, I needed a complete map of which terrains could transform to what and which couldn't.

Perhaps it could interest some of you too. The results :

X : Can transform to
/ : Cannot transform to
1 : The forest will not transform directly to the terrain, but to its forested form. When the forest disappears (pollution, clear forest), the terrain will looks like a false grassland, meaning it will have the graphics of the grassland but the stats of the real terrain (stats, name, pollution effect, ect). Weird glitch.
2 : Transform to grassland
3 : Transform to itself ("Global warming has turned Grassland to Grassland" :hmm: )

Attachments

• Terrain-transform.jpg
    Terrain-transform.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 508
Nice work Supa. Wow, mountains into grassland is really weird, but I see why in the game designs.

Nice thinking, Pounder. Ohhhhh, the source code...

I've once suggested the idea of an ever moving terrain for a Dune mod (Here) via the transformations generated by pollution.

Funny, today I thought of Arrakis, Dune mod. I thought of finding way to make spice appear and disapear as time passes. And I thought, with only few terrain types like: sand, rock, and spice, I will be able to arrange terrain so it will change with global warming to produce appearances and disappearances of spice.
I searched the forum for global warming stuff just to find out that someone already has tried this idea with exactly the same theme.
So how does it work ?

I also thought that spice (lots of it) could be resource with very large disappearance ratio. It would work nice since when it is gone in one place it appears in different.

P.S. Seems I am necroing the topic, but maybe someone can answer.

How does it work ?

You could set up a transforming cycle like this :
Desert (Grassland) to Sand Dunes (Hills) to Erg (Moutains) to Melange Field (Volcano) to Flat Desert (Marsh) to Deep Desert (Jungle) to Desert (Grassland).

Have a resource 'Melange' or 'Spice' with a high disappearance ratio and set to appear only on Melange Field. Now, you've got an ever-moving Spice resource on a never-lasting landscape.

How does it work ?

You could set up a transforming cycle like this :
Desert (Grassland) to Sand Dunes (Hills) to Erg (Moutains) to Melange Field (Volcano) to Flat Desert (Marsh) to Deep Desert (Jungle) to Desert (Grassland).

Have a resource 'Melange' or 'Spice' with a high disappearance ratio and set to appear only on Melange Field. Now, you've got an ever-moving Spice resource on a never-lasting landscape.

Your cycle doesn't follow your chart, desert can only be changed to floodplains.

Edit: nevermind, it is right in the brackets, I see you are renaming.

Something I've noticed, that I don't like; setting tundra to turn to grassland with global warming does work as far as renaming the tile to grassland and allowing the tile to be irrigated, but the appearance of the tile remains tundra (tile info says it is grassland).

This is the only one I've noticed where the tile doesn't change. Grass to marsh for example, tile appearance changes to marsh no problem.

Something I've noticed, that I don't like; setting tundra to turn to grassland with global warming does work as far as renaming the tile to grassland and allowing the tile to be irrigated, but the appearance of the tile remains tundra (tile info says it is grassland).

This is the only one I've noticed where the tile doesn't change. Grass to marsh for example, tile appearance changes to marsh no problem.

I've noticed that too.

Supa, you might need to update your chart.

Top Bottom