Supa's Heads

Supa

Out of Cheese Error
Soon after reading a topic about the Cthulhu Civilization in the Steampunk forum and its lack of leaderhead, I found a nice Octopus-headed man model.. You see where I'm going: I didn't take long before I tried to make my first animated LH. I hope I didn't forget any file.

Cthulhu Priest

Never in the Lovecraft's novels appeared such a beast. I've never encountered it either in pastiches and follow ups. So I'm drifting away from all canon.. You can build your own backstory for him : A whole new underwater species, a mutated/corrupted human, a hybrid human/xothian, a very young xothian, etc. :D

Neutral to Happy to Neutral to Angry to Neutral (actual palette)

Download
Animation by Supa
Flayer and cloth models by Sixus1
Cthulhu Loves picture by Marcelo Gallegos (http://www.niceghost.com/)

I've been hoping for this for a long time! Very well done, although in your preview he seems to fade away into darkness for a moment as he gets angrier, at least on a computer with a dark display (like I have). But I'll reserve judgement on that until I see it in-game. I love the leaderhead pcx's, there's some perfectly understated humor there. Lol, really.

Thanks for the comments.

@Balthasar :

It's the way I intended it. When he gets angry, the player found himself into growing darkness, building up tension. The red eyes appear when he gets very angry. In fact, it's right at a moment of play forward-backward so they're slightly flickering. Actually quite cool.

Wow, that is a killer head! I love how it fades in and out of the shadows based on it's mood. I am sure it is blasphemy to many on this thread but I was never much into Cthulu, but I wish I was just so I could use that LH...

Thanks!

@Gojira54

Burn him ! ;)

I don't blame you, with so many pastiches and reprises you could have read some really poor stories. Lovecraft's novels, in which Cthulhu doesn't really have a central role (1), can also be off-putting as characters are rarely memorable. However, there are really worth the time.

[1] It was August Derleth that named the more-or-less connected Lovecraft's stories and its pastiches "Cthulhu Mythos" (after proposing it to be the "Hastur Mythos"). Lovecraft likely never wanted to create a pantheon and only used it parsimoniously, and not always in the same way, to create a mood. Derleth missed that point, among others, and tried to structure it.

@Blue Monkey

Yes, I'm ahead of you on this one !

I don't blame you, with so many pastiches and reprises you could have read some really poor stories. Lovecraft's novels, in which Cthulhu doesn't really have a central role (1), can also be off-putting as characters are rarely memorable. However, there are really worth the time.
Lovecraft is superb at atmosphere when he brings his A game. At The Mountains of Madness is - in part - so effective because it's in the first person. Get the heebeejeebees first hand. I'll listen by candlelight to Richard Coyle read Lovecraft no matter how many times I've heard it before. His version of ATMOM has just enough sound effects to keep me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next sentence.

That BBC programme sounds very good. Is there a way to download these (and past) episodes for future listening ? I wish radio play could come back.. Perhaps they did and nobody warned me !

That lighting effect is very cool! All around excellent LH! :thumbsup:

Thank you, Grandraem.

The changing light was really a bet, considering the limited palette (256 colors). I'm glad it payed off. :) Note that there is more than only a changing light effect. Different areas of the (2D) background react differently to it, there is also a slight and continuously changing bump map for the "far away" waters. It was really fun to make.

Top Bottom