New unit: Wood Elf Waywatcher (Aug 31st, 2005)

aaglo

Furioso!
Hi!

Here is another warhammer fantasy unit - but maybe it can be used in various other scenarios too. A Wood Elf Waywatcher. Enjoy :)
Here's some civilopedia copied from the games workshop website:
Guardians of the paths leading into Athel Loren, the Waywatchers are silent and deadly sentinels. They are masters of concealment, and have trained themselves so that they can lie unnoticed and unmoving for days on end before springing into action to slay a startled and unfortunate prey. Long years of practice with their chosen weapon has left each Waywatcher capable of a tremendous rate of fire, able to loose an unerring stream of black-shafted arrows one after another, seemingly without pause and without loss of accuracy. Any who enter Athel Loren run the risk of being slain without warning by the Waywatchers, cut down by unseen archers or falling prey to their cunningly constructed traps. When the call to battle comes, the Waywatchers band together into small groups. Their uncanny skills naturally lend themselves to the arts of disruption and surprise, appearing silently next to a vulnerable enemy and vanishing as quickly as they came before his body hits the ground.

Here are the files:
Waywatcher (~540 kb)

Here are some animation previews: fidget, run, fortify, attack and victory

Attached is a XL-preview of the civilopedia.

Attachments

• WaywatcherCivilop1.gif
    WaywatcherCivilop1.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,804
Excellent, that'll be the last unit to be added to the WH mod then :)

Only, how should I add it in? An upgrade for the Glade Guard (Wood Elf Archer) unit? But then the Glade Guard would disappear after a while! Perhaps a stealth attacking unit, that would fit their snipey-snipey demeanour, yeeees...

To bad, I could have added it in Midgard as an upgrade of the elf archer if you had finished it a couple of days earlier... we will have to wait then. Fabulous unit!

A unit after my own heart. Gorgeous. Any chance I can use it for my picture?

Oh my! I love him aaglo! Just amazing! :thumbsup: :)

Mr. Do said:
Only, how should I add it in? An upgrade for the Glade Guard (Wood Elf Archer) unit? But then the Glade Guard would disappear after a while! Perhaps a stealth attacking unit, that would fit their snipey-snipey demeanour, yeeees...

I'd propably add him on the third age, maybe invention 12(6)-5-2, ROF 2, all terrain as roads, cost 120-150 ?

Invention seems like the usual place for powerful later-age units, although it doesn't really fit for the Waywatcher, but it'll probably go there anyway. Those stats are way too powerful, I'll probably go with 9(6)-4-2 (ROF is irrelevent) -1HP (since WW act in incredibly small groups) and stealth attack. I'm tempted to also add this unit to the High Elves as well as a "Shadow Warrior", but using the same graphic for multiple units isn't the nicest thing to do...

Beautiful modelling and animation as always aaglo, I don't think you'll ever lose your touch.

:thumbsup:

I daresay that gorgeous unit will be going into the Lord of the Mods. Thank-you, aaglo!

(Wow, I remember the days when he would only do ships because humanoid units "weren't possible with Pov-Ray." How times have changed!)

Great Unit, Aaglo. Even after all the units you've made, your artwork never ceases to amaze me.

Mr. Do said:
Invention seems like the usual place for powerful later-age units, although it doesn't really fit for the Waywatcher, but it'll probably go there anyway. Those stats are way too powerful, I'll probably go with 9(6)-4-2 (ROF is irrelevent) -1HP (since WW act in incredibly small groups) and stealth attack. I'm tempted to also add this unit to the High Elves as well as a "Shadow Warrior", but using the same graphic for multiple units isn't the nicest thing to do...

Personally, I think you might be looking at these guys from the wrong angle. They are defenders, not attackers, for the most part. As such, I would give them a weak or moderate attack, and a strong defense - possibly a stealth attack and/or invisibility would be appropriate as well.

Gomurr said:
Personally, I think you might be looking at these guys from the wrong angle. They are defenders, not attackers, for the most part. As such, I would give them a weak or moderate attack, and a strong defense - possibly a stealth attack and/or invisibility would be appropriate as well.

Well I was already torn like that! Waywatchers are defenders, yes, but they are also scouts in the tabletop game, so it's a bit of a difficult unit to place without getting in the way of other units in the game (e.g. the eternal guard who take the pikeman role for the wood elves). I think they need to be stronger on the attack personally, though, because anyone that manages to charge them will invariably beat them in combat, so their best role is in getting the attack in first.

Whatever we go with, invisibility is not an option in civ 3.

Hey, how about 6(6)-6-2, -1HP, Stealth attack, available at assasination?
Because the wood elf defender range ends at the glade guard (now I suppose you've named it as eternal guard).

Top Bottom