New Unit; Mobile Heavy Infantry

Smoking mirror

Ships Captain
The Heavy infantry unit is taking a while (human run animations take a while to do) but in preperation here is a unit Iv'e been planning for some time, The fore runner of mechanised infantry; Mobile infantry.

During the early phases of WWII most Mechanised divisions took this form; Well armed infantry mounted in trucks.

here is the unit files; Here
Put them in a new folder called MobileInfantry in your CivIII/art/units folder and add the unit to your game using the hacked Civ three editor.

Heres a detail of the unit, the red colour is the civ colour;

Attachments

• redgreen.gif
    redgreen.gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 8,567
dude, gotta give you credit, this unit rules.

One thing though: is there any way to increase the resolution of the unit in-game? The preview looks so beautiful and... *froth*, but when applied in game (or actual size), the resolution is utterly destroyed and the meticulous, individual men and details are destroyed.

Yes that explosion really looks great... As does the rest of it :)

Once again thanx for the feedback, Iv'e got the whole explosion thing sussed now, expect an even beter one next time, the detail of all those little guys realy slowed down rendering times, so I opted for quite a simple death, with just two spheres to represent the explosion.
Unfortunately To get better resolution I'd have to make the truck a lot bigger, and Iv'e found that big units caused trouble in the game cos some uits hid their oponents from view with thier own bulk. Perhaps Civ 4 will feature multiple levels of zoom, but for now I think you can see enough of the guys to have a good animation, the heavy machine gunner performing the swan dive out the back when it blows up for instance.:lol:

I'm thinking of trying to do a mounted horseman next, perhaps an industrial era Lancer for the Polish and etc..
Its going to be a challenge, I'll have to get my great grandfathers "how to draw horses" book out if I can find it. Now he could realy draw (he didn't write the book he just owned it), my grandmother is also a good equestrian artist, lets hope I can keep up the family reputation.

What a wicked and beautiful looking unit! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: This one of the best units I've seen!

This unit is perfict to use before you get the Mech. Infantry.

Smoking Mirror,
I have come to the conclusion after downloading almost all of the units that you have made, that you are the master. I give all the other creators their credit, but you just keep pumping out highly polished, professionally created units. This good looking vehicle just adds to the list. I take it that this is a hobby of yours, considering you have probably put countless hours into it. And if its not a hobby..... to bad:lol: . Keep 'em coming!:goodjob:

Thanks for all the units youve made
kman

P.S. [for anybody who can answer this] Ive heard that ground units cannot transport other units, is this true? I wanted know because if you can I want to make this vehicle carry a unit, kind of like an APC.

Originally posted by CivGeneral
This unit is perfict to use before you get the Mech. Infantry.

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Ive been looking for a mech infantry precursor for sometime now. I think ive found it.

Thanks for the compliments, If I can get some one to hire me this would be my job (designing computergame graphics) rather than a hoby, But as I'm unemployed at the moment, I'm "WOrking on my portfolio" :)

You can do land transport units, they work fine I'm told, but the AI doesn't know how to use them, or chooses not to.

I like to have this unit come with Radio, and delay the arival of the mech infantry until later, this give you a mercy period at the end of the industrial age where your tanks meet more resistance to attack, but are not suddenly up against the most powerfull defensive unit in the whole game. It is also good for civs that lack Aluminumn, as it gives them something to hold off inevitable defeat in the modern era.

You should try to get a job at Firaxis or something like that. Most everybody here at Civfanatics and at Apolyton would reccomend you, If they haven't already noticed your work.

P.S. good ideas for the vehicle's use. Ill implement those into my mod

Your work is outstanding:goodjob: I cant wait for more.With the new editior coming your work will be in alot of my games.

WOW! This unit is pretty schweet! I look forward to using it in an upcoming scenario/mod I'm planning on doing.

SM -

Have you considered doing a halftrack with infantry?

Venger

Top Bottom