1 in 6 Americans on food stamps

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to communicate here.

I'll be more specific, then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Irish_Famine

Growing more food than the island needed the whole time, yet one in ten people died. Where, in all this, were your predicted world-saving philanthropists?

Problem there is government intervention. Your beloved institution (government) transferred the productivity of Ireland to England. Three cheers for redistribution!

Problem there is government intervention. Your beloved institution (government) transferred the productivity of Ireland to England. Three cheers for redistribution!

I thought it was the landowners - you know, wealthy English - who were transferring the productivity of Ireland to England

There are many jobs that pay well enough that don't require that much education. (Though in the longer run it would certainly be better to fix the education system.) What is needed is capital investment. Under current circumstances, the private sector isn't going to provide it. The government can. There are many overdue projects. And capital is dirt cheap right now, making it the perfect time to work on them.

What's that? Like building a high speed rail between Cincinatti and Cleveland with 25 stops between so that the average speed of the trip is 39mph, thus making it way worse than simply hopping in your car and driving? Those kinds of "overdue projects." Come on, lay these "overdue projects" on me.

1 in 6 of Americans on foodstamps? Wow..

I wonder how many Canadians are on foodstamps, for comparison's sake?

I tried googling it but couldn't find anything

Does canada even have food stamps, or is the 'food money' just bundled up with welfare and other assistance programs? That's why it will be really difficult comparing countries.

I saw a BBC article that says 1 in 7 in britain can't afford a second pair of shoes (in 2005), good luck getting comparison numbers from other countries for that one.

What's that? Like building a high speed rail between Cincinatti and Cleveland with 25 stops between so that the average speed of the trip is 39mph, thus making it way worse than simply hopping in your car and driving? Those kinds of "overdue projects." Come on, lay these "overdue projects" on me.
It certainly beats walking and not everyone has a car.

Alternatively, we could keep subsidizing private cars and sending all of our money for oil to al Qedia.

What's that? Like building a high speed rail between Cincinatti and Cleveland with 25 stops between so that the average speed of the trip is 39mph, thus making it way worse than simply hopping in your car and driving?

A high speed rail system designed like that is obviously a waste of money, of course.

But what about one that only stops once or twice per state?

It should work like airports - one or two stops in each big city.

To improve speed, have multiple routes as well. This way, there is no need to stop in every major city, since each city will have its own hub that can merge into other railways along the way.

Just because the government sucks at spending money now doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. The only reason it sucks is because the American voter hates Congress but loves their Congressmen. Until you hold them accountable, there will be no change in the way things are run.

You think that the British government was forcibly expropriating agricultural product? :confused:

What redistribution normally accomplishes.
You realise that this period was the golden age of British economic expansion, don't you?

Alternatively, we could keep subsidizing private cars and sending all of our money for oil to al Qedia.

Or, we could get behind natural gas technology and embrace diesel as well. Heck, we could even, ya know, drill our own oil! But yeah, we really should stop subsidizing private cars while we end the subsidies for AMTRAK at too.

TanaciousFox said:
A high speed rail system designed like that is obviously a waste of money, of course.

Well, see, here's the problem in my view. The problem is that Cutlass wants to give the keys to the car to the feds to build "projects that are much overdue." And what are those projects? Well, high speed rail between Cleveland and Cincinnati. They want to do a similar project between Tampa Bay and Daytona. I travel a lot, I drive a lot, I go through many states, and "much needed projects" are nothing more than spot paving a few roads, and at most putting a 1 inch coating of asphalt down that'll just be torn up this time next year! It's like that everywhere. Florida, to Virginia, to Michigan, to Alabama. They're paving over roads whether they need it or not. They're building roads all over West Virginia (the southern part) to connect areas where people don't drive anyway! It's all the feds too. So they take our money, they tell us how we have to spend it, or else they threaten to give it to other states if we disagree with their definition of "long overdue project." Thus extorting and blackmailing the states to build projects or lose funds. How about we just let the states have their money and decide how to spend it on their own?

But what about one that only stops once or twice per state?

That's what airports are for. I really don't understand why we're so hung up on this 19th century technology.

It should work like airports - one or two stops in each big city.

So we should have redundant infrastructure? Don't you realize how over complicated it is to run a railway in this sort of manner? Especially when you compare it to how airports operate, and how much easier it is for a plane to skip over a handful of cities as opposed to a train? I can't think of one scenario where use of a train supersedes the use of a car or an airport in America.

Just because the government sucks at spending money now doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. The only reason it sucks is because the American voter hates Congress but loves their Congressmen.

So improvements in how money is spent at the federal level will only be improved when the impossible happens. This is the entire problem in a nutshell right there. When you give congress the power spend money; read, bring home the bacon, all measures of responsibility go out the window and it becomes a never ending quest to get OPP. All the people want is someone who will bring home the bacon, preferably a larger portion of the pie than they deserve or put in. They don't care on what, or how the bacon is spent, they just want that "long overdue" infrastructure (pork) project to get funded so the people in their area can get good paying jobs. This is how people like John Murtha stay in power. Because they build airports to nowhere that nobody uses or flies to. This how Joe Biden stays in power. By building a railroad company that runs in the red for decades that nobody uses. This is the definition of "long overdue infrastructure projects," to the federal government. If that's the way you wanna go, fine. But I'd take a good look at how that turned out for Spain before you do it.

Those highways the busses drive on are subsidized.

Greyhound isn't quicker, either. Most routes could only dream of averaging 39 mph.

Explain by what means the British government transfered "productivity" from Ireland to "England" (Scotland and Wales do not exist in Hiberno-British relations). Explain how these changes in "productivity" lead to the famine. Explain how the famine would not have occurred without this change in "productivity".

The long term solution to a large population of citizens who cannot carry their own weight is obvious. The question, 'can you afford this' should be addressed at conception and dealt with then. People who cannot afford children should not have the right to bear additional children.

I can't think of one scenario where use of a train supersedes the use of a car or an airport in America.

Like tens of thousands of other Chicagoans, I take a train every single day to work. Commuter rail is great for large cities where parking and traffic are going to be a problem (like ChicagoLand, or anywhere along 95 between DC and Boston). It would be stupid in a place like Columbus obviously, since the urban center isn't very dense, and there are tons of highways.

The long term solution to a large population of citizens who cannot carry their own weight is obvious. The question, 'can you afford this' should be addressed at conception and dealt with then. People who cannot afford children should not have the right to bear additional children.
It's fun for conservatives to attach this idea that people now are only struggling out of great moral failing, just like they did during the Great Depression. We have one of out 6 Americans living near the poverty line simply because they are lazy and dumb, right? Silly lower class slobs, breeding all the time.

Of course, that ignores the truth that the food stamp rolls are rising because of unemployment...people previously making middle class incomes having the rug pulled out from under them, or people who have huge health care costs. The unemployment rate for college educated blacks is 7%. The unemployment rate for US military vets post 2001 (skilled labor here) is over 13%. The unemployment rate for workers 20-26 is over 15% (even if they have degrees). You can be doing the "right" things right now and still fall on hard times.

But please, continue to create this elaborate morality play for yourself, if it helps you feel better.

Top Bottom