1100, 11/11/18

Ah, glad "they" came to their senses on that one.

Yeah, about that, Macron decided to do the stupid thing anyway and praised Petain for being "a great soldier" during WW1. Good thing we didn't vote for the far right last year. Yay.

Yeah, about that, Macron decided to do the stupid thing anyway and praised Petain for being "a great soldier" during WW1. Good thing we didn't vote for the far right last year. Yay.
Even De Gaulle praised Petain for his actions during WWI. And De Gaulle led the damn resistance in WWII. No one with sense denies Petain's accomplishments during WWI, even if he got more credit at the time than he deserved.

. :dunno: I might slip some war movies into the DVD....

I chose 2 WW I flying movies.

Hell's Angels
, the most expensive movie made up until that time. Universally terrible acting. Unwatchable.

Aces High. Lots of big-name British actors. Not too bad. :undecide:
The only good WW I movie I can think of is King of Hearts. Can anyone else think of one? :popcorn:

Even De Gaulle praised Petain for his actions during WWI. And De Gaulle led the damn resistance in WWII. No one with sense denies Petain's accomplishments during WWI, even if he got more credit at the time than he deserved.

Meh. Petain was a good strategist and helped win the war, but he made tactical blunders like the other generals. In the context of WW1 making a tactical blunder means sending 50k men to their death for no reason. And whether or not you liked him as a general in WW1, it's really stupid to call him a soldier like Macron did. He never fought, he led from behind.

Praising Petain used to be something only far right people did. Which means Macron made a far right fetish mainstream.

Has anyone here seen They Shall Not Grow Old? It had a one-night showing in the UK in October. A 10-second look at Google doesn't reveal a wider release schedule, yet. This weekend seems like it would be a no-brainer, but I don't see anything about it.

It is on at 2130 on BBC2 in the UK

Meh. Petain was a good strategist and helped win the war, but he made tactical blunders like the other generals. In the context of WW1 making a tactical blunder means sending 50k men to their death for no reason. And whether or not you liked him as a general in WW1, it's really stupid to call him a soldier like Macron did. He never fought, he led from behind.

Praising Petain used to be something only far right people did. Which means Macron made a far right fetish mainstream.
Today I learnt that Charles De Gaulle was far right wing.

Also, saying a general is not a soldier because "he led from behind" is a really, really stupid thing to say.

De Gaulle was Petain's protégé during De Gaulle's early career. They had a special relationship. De Gaulle said stuff like "in his right mind he would have continued to fight the Germans, but old age had weakened him" which is BS, but he wanted to believe that about his former mentor.

De Gaulle was Petain's protégé during De Gaulle's early career. They had a special relationship. De Gaulle said stuff like "in his right mind he would have continued to fight the Germans, but old age had weakened him" which is BS, but he wanted to believe that about his former mentor.
They also had a rather public and dramatic falling out a decade before the war.

It was raining in northern France today and Trump decided to skip going the cemetery (by helicopter) and stay in his hotel and watch TV. what a fine way to honor those who died: watch Fox news!

It was raining in northern France today and Trump decided to skip going the cemetery (by helicopter) and stay in his hotel and watch TV. what a fine way to honor those who died: watch Fox news!
I read that earlier. Disgusting. Sir Winston Churchill's grandson had a pretty good spray at him. Not only is Trump too cowardly to serve, he's too cowardly to stand in the rain. Pathetic.

Apparently he also blamed some Baltic dignitaries for starting the Yugoslav conflict. He confused the Baltics and the Balkans. This is in spite of the fact that his wife was born in Yugoslavia.

Today was a good day to lie around the house and watch TCM channel
Where Eagles Dare
The Great Escape
Bridge over the River Kwai.

The cat appreciated it also.

I read that earlier. Disgusting. Sir Winston Churchill's grandson had a pretty good spray at him. Not only is Trump too cowardly to serve, he's too cowardly to stand in the rain. Pathetic.

Apparently he also blamed some Baltic dignitaries for starting the Yugoslav conflict. He confused the Baltics and the Balkans. This is in spite of the fact that his wife was born in Yugoslavia.

He probably thinks that Melania was born in Czechoslovakia because she is from Slovenia.

As JR noted the bone spurs must play up in the rain and the USA does not make waterproof clothing. /sad

He probably thinks that Melania was born in Czechoslovakia because she is from Slovenia.

As JR noted the bone spurs must play up in the rain and the USA does not make waterproof clothing. /sad
He has forgotten her name more than once, and I have no doubt he calls her "Ivanka" in bed, so who knows?

He likely heard what happens in France to pompous, egotistical, born-to-wealth political conmen during "Reigns," and panicked.

@rah
Where Eagles Dare is one of the first films I remember seeing at the cinema that I still like.

@HoloDoc
Someone said that Trump has been looking for the next Mrs Trump so he can have a new one for the second term.
He chose another European but when she said she was from Styria he got confused bigly.

Probably didn't have a big enough umbrella to protect both he and his wife from the rain.

Oh.

Wait.

Guess that wouldn't be an issue.

Where Eagles Dare is one of the first films I remember seeing at the cinema that I still like.

The party game on this film is trying to count how many Germans Clint kills during the movie. Estimate only since an exact count is impossible.

Top Bottom