17 year old has eaten nothing but Mcdonalds chicken nuggets

Just what I was thinking.

Anyway, junk food can actually be really addictive. Junk food addicted rats prefer to starve themselves rather than eat healthy food

Interesting link. Although I didn't think rats ate healthy food. Don't they always eat "junk" (as in food in the trash) food? I can't recall ever seeing a rat eat a salad.

But seriously, it explains a lot. It explains some of my addictions to sweets. I am so addicted to cookies. I ate too many yesterday. :(. Why can't I control myself. :( I get so upset at myself for having no control over sweets. I never buy them, but when they are given to me for free, I can't resist. :(

Eh, there's an actual mental condition that covers this, which isn't uncommon in children. (Lots of kids have a restricted diet; most grow out of it though). I can't for the life of me remember the name though.

Wait, wait, wait it's a mental condition now?!
That profession is going crazy now, bad beheaviour = ADHD, now not eating your veg = another mental condition?! I mean I disliked eating cauliflower when I was a young Quackers but it wasn't because i had a "mental illness" but because I disliked the freaking taste! Gosh they will have us all chomping down on their meds soon enough!

Quackers said:
That profession is going crazy now, bad beheaviour = ADHD, now not eating your veg = another mental condition?! I mean I disliked eating cauliflower when I was a young Quackers but it wasn't because i had a "mental illness" but because I disliked the freaking taste! Gosh they will have us all chomping down on their meds soon enough!

Yes, taken to its most extreme form selective eating is a mental condition, which this case is. And as a general rule I wouldn't have worried a wit about little Quackers dislike of cauliflower. However, had little Quackers disliked all vegetables, then I might have been worried. But considering how common that kind of attitude is though among kids I wouldn't have worried all that much. Buuuut if we were to serve little Quackers a soup (with vegetables masked) and were to reveal to him that it had vegetables, and were he to start throwing up or manifesting other visible symptoms I think we'd be justified in thinking it was a mental condition. Again, it isn't uncommon. My sis won't eat banana's because she associates them with being sick and will always pukes them up afterwards (I've been mean enough to suggest that there was banana in something when there wasn't and she still hurls, so it isn't biological). The danger however would be that instead of having a limited and essentially harmless neurosis, little Quackers might have developed a broad ranging and potentially dangerous neurosis which would need some kind of intervention. It's no different to having a case of mild arachnophobia and fainting at pictures of spiders. The one isn't so bad; the other can be problematic and might require some help. The obvious difference here is that arachnophobia doesn't have a significant health toll associated with it.

It's also associated with Autism spectrum disorders, especially selective to the degree this article claims.

If a child, or even worse a teen or adult literally will not eat anything other than chicken nuggets, it's likely a sign of some mental disorder.

I'd rather not derail the thread (again:mischief:) but i'm very curious. Is it true that humans are the only animals that can get bored of food ? I mean you can feed a dog/cat/cow/pig/chicken the same thing every day for the rest of it's life but humans seem to need at least some sort of variety.

I don't disagree with something that paints a large swathe of Irish Catholics as child abusers. Except the Irish eating just potatoes were often taller than the English eating varied diets. So there?

I'm the opposite of a healthy food nut. I love variety and fresh vegetables, and fish is my favorite meat, but I also love lots of truly awful stuff. Deep fried cheese. French Fries. Chips. I guess I'm just a variety nut.

That said, I don't think you can really compare potatoes to McDonalds chicken nuggets. Potatoes, while I don't think they can form a complete diet on their own, are a good solid staple. Nothing wrong with potatoes :goodjob:

I'd rather not derail the thread (again:mischief:) but i'm very curious. Is it true that humans are the only animals that can get bored of food ? I mean you can feed a dog/cat/cow/pig/chicken the same thing every day for the rest of it's life but humans seem to need at least some sort of variety.

I'm not sure I buy it. I'd say that most people, whether they have an "animals have no souls"/dominionist bias or a "teleological evolution" bias, underestimate a lot of higher animals. A Dog or Cat are certainly not human, and you have to be careful not to anthropomorphize them, but I am fairly certain they enjoy variety in their food and life.

Still, I would be open to evidence that this is true.

Interesting link. Although I didn't think rats ate healthy food. Don't they always eat "junk" (as in food in the trash) food? I can't recall ever seeing a rat eat a salad.

But seriously, it explains a lot. It explains some of my addictions to sweets. I am so addicted to cookies. I ate too many yesterday. :(. Why can't I control myself. :( I get so upset at myself for having no control over sweets. I never buy them, but when they are given to me for free, I can't resist. :(

Sugar & carbs are basically pure energy that your body really craves - I'm not surprised we're so easily addicted to those substances.

I'm on a low carb/sugar diet - can only consume 20g of carbs/sugars a day. It's VERY hard.. my body just cries out for more. Ever since I started doing it I've felt a lot better though - lost 10 pounds too - on a high fat diet at that

pretty sure you can get definitely sick only eating one thing for 15 yrs, no matter what it is. Is there any food product that can provide you with complete nutrition without eating anything else for 15 yrs? My bet is no. im surprised she was capable of doing it for so long.

Well just be glad its not pink slime
no its 'white' slime. :p

Pistachio nuts might be about as close as you can get. Awful thing is they'ld have to be unsalted.

It's also associated with Autism spectrum disorders, especially selective to the degree this article claims.

If a child, or even worse a teen or adult literally will not eat anything other than chicken nuggets, it's likely a sign of some mental disorder.

I'm not saying this is wrong, but I have Aspergers and the foods I don't like can be counted on my fingers... possibly even one hand. Kinda interesting.

pretty sure you can get definitely sick only eating one thing for 15 yrs, no matter what it is. Is there any food product that can provide you with complete nutrition without eating anything else for 15 yrs? My bet is no. im surprised she was capable of doing it for so long.

no its 'white' slime. :p

pizza :D

seriously if you get a pizza with everything on it you should cover most of the basic food groups. Get the hawaiin style so you get pineapple for your fruits. Get all the veggies on it, anchovies for your fish, pepperoni/sausage for protein, cheese for dairy, and the crust for your grains. Pizza is the ultimate food. :goodjob:

Though I am also curious if a person can actually live this long sans vegetables or fruits.
I was a pretty fussy eater as a child. From around age 13 to 18 I ate perhaps a few bananas a year & nothing green (even before then I was pretty bad). I remember having my first salad at 18 and thinking, hey this isn't bad!

edit : not quite true, I did have split pea soup once in a rare while, I don't consider peas a vegetable though (more of a legume).

pizza :D

seriously if you get a pizza with everything on it you should cover most of the basic food groups. Get the hawaiin style so you get pineapple for your fruits. Get all the veggies on it, anchovies for your fish, pepperoni/sausage for protein, cheese for dairy, and the crust for your grains. Pizza is the ultimate food. :goodjob:

well pizza is a vegetable now after all btw. :lol:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=446717

dumping the ingredients just to satisfy the criteria is bit of cheating.. but okay fine, you found it. :) still wouldn't want to eat it for 15 yrs tho!

To be fair, margherita pizza is MUCH healthier than chicken nuggets; it doesn't even have meat in it !

Top Bottom