1700AD Scenario Development Thread

Is it me or the americans already start with steam power and a whole lotta love and others things!?
I'm playing a game now on epic speed with the Prussians and talking on the diplomacy screen I saw that they have everything i have and plus a whole lotta tecs...

Sorry to ask, but do one gets 1700 by simply updating the regular DoC SVN or it has its own dedicated SVN?

Just played a few turns of the new scenario. My two cents:
- Germany should be called Kingdom of Prussia up until 1871, German Empire just does not sound right...Maybe just change the Adjective? Start-1871: Prussian..., 1871 onwards: German...
- Prussia should start with Berlin and Königsberg, at war with Indie Hamburg and Frankfurt (and a slightly bigger starting stack to get things going)
- Austria really should get Budapest for historicity, in my opinion it is really no problem to have Budapest and Belgrade around (Inb4: blabla but do want supercities, no Budapest blabla ;) )
- With the proposed map changes I think it is possible to replace Krakow with Warsaw as Polish capital
- moving Kiew 1E would allow for Polish Lwów 2E of the current Krakow spot, so Poland would no longer be a OCC waiting to be crushed
- France needs Brest
- add 1 more city in Britain, Plymouth/Liverpool come to mind
- New York/Toronto/Boston/Quebec is too cramped, my suggestion is to remove Boston
- Sankt Peterburg really should be the Russian capital, although this might cripple the AI...maybe script a capital change for the AI and leave it to the human player to manually change capital if he wants to expand into Siberia

Perhaps to make Budapest better, Belgrade should go 1S? That way the Ottomans still have a presence on the balkans, but Austria as well.

Perhaps to make Budapest better, Belgrade should go 1S? That way the Ottomans still have a presence on the balkans, but Austria as well.

This could work, given that the map is quite empty in the southern Balkans :) .

I agree that a Budapest should exist, but to make prussia start with only Berlin and Königsberg would require a huge buff to the Prussians...

I agree that a Budapest should exist, but to make prussia start with only Berlin and Königsberg would require a huge buff to the Prussians...
Why? You should be able to get Hamburg and Frankfurt in under 5 turns. Prussia was a minor power in 1700 and only became powerful through conquest in middle-late 18th century (which would exactly be the time you need to conquer Hamburg and Frankfurt and to get them up and running)...Germany as it is is doesn't really need a buff in my opinion.

The American tech level compared to the Europeans seems fine to me in 1800.

Why? You should be able to get Hamburg and Frankfurt in under 5 turns. Prussia was a minor power in 1700 and only became powerful through conquest in middle-late 18th century (which would exactly be the time you need to conquer Hamburg and Frankfurt and to get them up and running)...Germany as it is is doesn't really need a buff in my opinion.

The years in the game passes too quickly and that's why (and specially we see many other things in the game that aren't that accurate...playability comes first I think)...you barely have time to fight wars as they take decades in normal speed...if you want a completely historical game go play Pride of Nations and the likes...:lol:

The American tech level compared to the Europeans seems fine to me in 1800.

Oh well, I just think they should not be ahead of Europe at start, surely democracy is a tech they should have, but the game seens very easy for themas someone else in the forum already stated...

The years in the game passes too quickly and that's why (and specially we see many other things in the game that aren't that accurate...playability comes first I think)...you barely have time to fight wars as they take decades in normal speed...if you want a completely historical game go play Pride of Nations and the likes...:lol:

Personally I always play the 1700AD campaign at Marathon speed. That way you get 400 turns, with a good 2-300 to do the UHVs for the civs that spawn after 1700, so the game is just as long as for the civs which start earlier.

Normal speed will probably be far too fast to have a real chance of winning the GG goals with Argentina, and particularly Mexico.

Oh well, I just think they should not be ahead of Europe at start, surely democracy is a tech they should have, but the game seens very easy for themas someone else in the forum already stated...

I think it's become easier for them now due to Mexico and Brazil. They take away many of the colonies America would otherwise need to conquer.

Although in general America is one of the easiest civs to win as, imo, as you have some of the best production in the game and no real competition to settle the valuable cities in the Great Plains.

And just to finish the matter I think that it's more historical accurate to have a maybe not so historical Prussia at the start than have a weakened Prussia crushed by the Polish or any other european power early on and have a 19th century without Germany...

Comparing them in 1776 surely isn't fair. They easily lose a few decades before they can research their first tech.

Sankt-Petersburg founded in 1703AD
Rostov-na-Donu - in 1749AD
Vorkuta - in 1936AD
Ekaterinburg - in 1723AD
;)

Oh, didn't know about Vorkuta. Knew about the others and that didn't really matter.

Edit: Syktyvkar seems like a good alternative, even though it's a little bit to the south.

Yeah I think the comparison in 1776 is a little unfair as Leoreth says, the position then isn't all that indicative of how the Europeans (if they don't collapse, and I believe that is the issue, am about to update to the next SVN to see if it's any better) can catch up while America is implementing Manifest Destiny and getting it's infrastructure up and running.

The reason USA is easy right now (I cannot say easier, I honestly never played an America start on either of the earlier scenarios, too long a wait) is partly the spawn of Mexico and to a lesser extent Brazil as Swarbs says, it leaves the US with only the handful of lightly defended British and French colonies to capture/raze. New Orleans is often the most highly defended, and you can get that in very first congress 9 times out of 10. The biggest factor though is European instability, it leaves you with very few rivals in any terms whatsoever, and basically means you have to expend no effort in conquering the Caribbean or Guatemala. If Turkey collapse as well you can run away in score, and no one will really be able to keep up (unless you experience UBER-HOLLAND like I did). I'm terrible at warring, but with the lack of powerful enemies I imagine a domination victory is similarly easy for those of the ability, the only issue being a stable Russia I imagine.

Swarbs also makes a very good point though, their cities are just damn awesome and the absolute nonexistence of any competition in the Great Plains, the West Coast and Canada pretty much ensures a high score at the very least.

Oh, that reminds me that I want to adjust the American UHV so it pushes them into conflict with Mexico somewhat.

Top Bottom