1700AD Scenario Development Thread

I apologize if I resurrect a long gone discussion but is Italy dead for real? I mean, sure, they will "respawn" but so far it has not happened in my (I know it's a small number but still) two games. And Milan instead of Venice uuummm....
Why not have Corsica/Sardinia settled? Those places were already populated by 1700. Have the city there change names accordingly and all. Same for Taiwan, as Taipei was settled in the first decade of the 18th century (wow, thanks Leo for making me polish up my History :D ).
No more Changchun? I think it was in a previous version of the SVN version. I loved the idea of having a settled Manchuria. Made the idea of conquering China as Japan all the more awesome.

Leo, need help for Diplo Music for the Latin Civs? I think I could lend ya a hand. Likewise for the in-game voiceovers. I cannot stand Argentinians speaking with Spaniard accent, when Argentine Spanish sounds so much better. And funnier. Likewise for Colombians and Mexicans.

Regardless, Warsaw was clearly more important than Krakow by 1700. It was the capital of Poland from 1596 onward. Doesn't mean Krakow wasn't more important in the Middle Ages (and thus the appropriate capital on the 600 start). It's just like the Chinese capital moving from Chang'an/Xi'an to Beijing in the 1700 start.

Is that a joke?:lol:
Comparing Wien to Sarajevo is really funny...

I really hope this scenario won't be ruined by your ideas btw...

If Wien got conquered by the Ottomans it would have become much less important.

I apologize if I resurrect a long gone discussion but is Italy dead for real? I mean, sure, they will "respawn" but so far it has not happened in my (I know it's a small number but still) two games. And Milan instead of Venice uuummm....
Why not have Corsica/Sardinia settled? Those places were already populated by 1700. Have the city there change names accordingly and all. Same for Taiwan, as Taipei was settled in the first decade of the 18th century (wow, thanks Leo for making me polish up my History :D ).
No more Changchun? I think it was in a previous version of the SVN version. I loved the idea of having a settled Manchuria. Made the idea of conquering China as Japan all the more awesome.

Leo, need help for Diplo Music for the Latin Civs? I think I could lend ya a hand. Likewise for the in-game voiceovers. I cannot stand Argentinians speaking with Spaniard accent, when Argentine Spanish sounds so much better. And funnier. Likewise for Colombians and Mexicans.

Changchun wasn't founded until 1800. Northern Manchuria had no sizable settlements until during the 19th century (Changchun first, Harbin much later at the end of the 19th century), very late in the Qing dynasty. Shenyang is plenty enough representation.

I'm content with the unit sounds (recording them in comparable quality is hard and I only relied on that if absolutely necessary), but diplo music is definitely needed. I'll create a thread for that soon.

Regardless, Warsaw was clearly more important than Krakow by 1700. It was the capital of Poland from 1596 onward. Doesn't mean Krakow wasn't more important in the Middle Ages (and thus the appropriate capital on the 600 start). It's just like the Chinese capital moving from Chang'an/Xi'an to Beijing in the 1700 start.
Yes. If the space had allowed it, I would've used Warsaw instead of Krakow. I'll do just that as soon as Poland gains an extra row from the upcoming map changes.

Is that a joke?:lol:
Comparing Wien to Sarajevo is really funny...

I really hope this scenario won't be ruined by your ideas btw...

Don't be so pessimistic, why wouldn't you think things could be improved rather then being ruined. :rolleyes:

Do you understand the spirit of RFC? This mod called Rise and Fall and not Pin it to the Wall :D. 18th century: Rise of Prussia, Fall of Poland. Let's see it happen. Play it to happen. Mod it to happen. Make it probable to happen.

It's not even Warsaw vs Krakow debate. It's more fundamental: who gets how many cities, how you call them is secondary. Poland cannot fall with 1 city, Prussia don't have to Rise with 4. Imagine you play Rise of Rome and start right before First Punic War with cities that Roman Empire will have 170 years later, while Carthage has only 1 city. And yet 170 years in BC are much much less turns than 170 years in Industrial/Early Modern Era. If Prussia starts with Frankfurt -- Russia must start with Warsaw and Italy must be alive and united. Oh and America too :lol:

So, I recently played until 1900 as Japan. A few comments:

1. I was surprised by the forced Korean respawn in 1815. Is that new? I was Very Solid and lost my cities in Korea to the respawn, while no one else had cities there. I suppose it's not awful to prevent Japan from conquering early, but it seems a little odd.

2. The Ottomans are too strong, and Europe is poorly balanced.. The Ottomans were still the top scorers in 1900, and it wasn't even close (they were around 2000 points to ~1400 for Britain and Russia, ~1300 for Prussia and Japan [me]). The Ottomans had vassalized the Poles, and the two together, along with Prussia, proceeded to curbstomp the rest of Europe. By 1850, Poland controlled Austria, Italy and most of France, while the Ottomans had conquered the rest of France, Spain and Portugal. Prussia (who were not Ottoman vassals but allied with them) had taken over the Netherlands, Denmark and one city in Spain. I'm not sure whether the Poles are overpowered so much as having the support of the super-powerful Ottomans allowed them to take over Europe.

3. Stability is not well-balanced. AI Britain has stability trouble even when not fighting wars/being invaded, which it should not have, though they did not spontaneously collapse as others have reported. Portugal, on the other hand, did not collapse even after losing Lisbon and after Brazilian independence.

4. In particular, France is weak. They seem to have the lowest score of all of the Europeans, other than Austria and Poland, from very early on, and they don't compete well with their rivals.

5. Others have commented on this, but Toronto should either be French (as Fort Rouille, though that was not built until the 1750s) or non-existent, as all of lower Ontario was French in 1700 and until the 1760s, albeit sparsely settled. I also think the map should be changed to give Quebec City ocean access, but that's a bit more drastic.

(1) Many AI Civs (England in particular) will still revolt into a different set of Civics in the first few turns. Just give everyone 5 or 10 turns of No Anarchy and be done with it. And let England start with Economics.

(2) I've seen AI Ottomans collapse pretty consistently between 1800 and 1900.

(3) AI France (and Human France perhaps) needs a Napoleonic War mechanism (with Mounted Grenadiers). If AI Greece & Rome gets conquerors AI France should too.

1. I was surprised by the forced Korean respawn in 1815. Is that new? I was Very Solid and lost my cities in Korea to the respawn, while no one else had cities there. I suppose it's not awful to prevent Japan from conquering early, but it seems a little odd.
There is no forced respawn. It would be helpful to take a look at the save from that turn.

Concerning Toronto, I'm aware that it is ahistorical, but it's either this or no British Canada at all for the whole game. Please commence with comparing it to giving San Francisco to America at spawn.

No, it doesn't. Or it's at least not supposed to, report back if you see that happen.

There is no forced respawn. It would be helpful to take a look at the save from that turn.

Concerning Toronto, I'm aware that it is ahistorical, but it's either this or no British Canada at all for the whole game. Please commence with comparing it to giving San Francisco to America at spawn.

Here's a save from the turn before the respawn. I think it's from an SVN version before Gran Colombia was added, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Attachments

• Oda Nobunaga AD-1814 Turn 1045.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 66
While talking about Canada, can we replace that weird city (I forget the name) just south of York Factory with a French controlled Winnipeg? It was admittedly founded in 1738, but a size one city there would not only be a vastly better location, it would also allow the French some more land in Canada, which they sorely lack.

France's control over Manitoba was limited to exploration and the fur trade at best, and only lasted some 30 years. If anything, Toronto should be French (as Fort Rouillé) if you want to expand New France. But isn't York Factory preplaced or has it been changed since I last updated my SVN?

Don't be so pessimistic, why wouldn't you think things could be improved rather then being ruined. :rolleyes:

Do you understand the spirit of RFC? This mod called Rise and Fall and not Pin it to the Wall :D. 18th century: Rise of Prussia, Fall of Poland. Let's see it happen. Play it to happen. Mod it to happen. Make it probable to happen.

It's not even Warsaw vs Krakow debate. It's more fundamental: who gets how many cities, how you call them is secondary. Poland cannot fall with 1 city, Prussia don't have to Rise with 4. Imagine you play Rise of Rome and start right before First Punic War with cities that Roman Empire will have 170 years later, while Carthage has only 1 city. And yet 170 years in BC are much much less turns than 170 years in Industrial/Early Modern Era. If Prussia starts with Frankfurt -- Russia must start with Warsaw and Italy must be alive and united. Oh and America too :lol:

I'm not being pessimistic...I'm just not sure where it's gonna lead...if you want Prussia to start maybe with only Berlin and Königsberg then they'll need more militar troops at start.
The Polish start with a very powerful stack of unit's as the guy there said, as I stated early on in my games when I make an alliance with Russia to crush them they always conqer Kiev in the first turn and once they went so far as to conquer St.Petersburg...so I'm not really sure if they need a buff...btw I like the idea of giving them an extra row so that Warsaw is their capital and Europe has more space to breath.
Korea is way too powerfull really, in my games they always conquer a huge territory in Asia as it seems China and Japan are underpowered.

I can record myself talking in Spanish with Argentine accent if necessary, and help with the music

What if we keep Konnigsberg and Cracow, but we rename Cracow to Warsaw? Perhaps shift it one tile north to make the change more believable?
Also, I don't see why Milan should replace Florence and Venice-- I liked those cities, especially since it allows a more interesting division of Italy (the north isn't dominated by one city).

(1) Many AI Civs (England in particular) will still revolt into a different set of Civics in the first few turns. Just give everyone 5 or 10 turns of No Anarchy and be done with it. And let England start with Economics.

(2) I've seen AI Ottomans collapse pretty consistently between 1800 and 1900.

(3) AI France (and Human France perhaps) needs a Napoleonic War mechanism (with Mounted Grenadiers). If AI Greece & Rome gets conquerors AI France should too.

I was under the impression that Leo had agreed to your French Revolution idea.

Top Bottom