1700AD Scenario Development Thread

[Sigh] You know perfectly well why. The exact same reason why Warsaw, Liverpool, Osaka, Budapest, or Thessaloniki are also not on this map.

There's absolutely no justification for Krakow over Warsaw on the 1700 map. I agree that we can have only one, but it should be Warsaw. Budapest should also be on the map, and one of Liverpool or Manchester would not be a terrible idea. We're not trying to create an ideal city set-up for the human player here, a point you seem to be intentionally and obnoxiously obscuring.

We're not trying to create an ideal city set-up for the human player here, a point you seem to be intentionally and obnoxiously obscuring.
On the contrary, I don't see this "point" at all, so I'm not obscuring it by any means.

Leoreth have said time and again that playability takes precedence over historical realism. He gave me this argument when I asked why England starts with 3 cities in India instead of 1, and I find it a satisfactory and reasonable argument.

So yeah, maybe you should get the memo first before you start calling names.

Austria
Is it feasible to give them Budapest on the Oil? One city seems too weak for the RL quite powerful Austrian Empire in 1700.

North America
Charleston is too far south. The swamp north of it is supposed to represent the Okefenokee Swamp, which is in southern Georgia. (Personally, I think the swamp tile should be changed to a hill, but if you're keeping it...) Either way, Charleston should be on the Deer.

Austria - solution comes with Venice instead of Milan. They get a second city and Italy is less cramped.

Charleston - Easy solution : either don't care or name it Savannah instead. A city is not going on the deer. Period. Otherwise the 1700 AD scenario isn't worth it for America.

Elsewhere, agree on Kagoshima instead of Nagasaki. Maybe move Edo 1N to constrict Kyoto less.
Move the one whale 1NW such that it is within range for Lima.
Remove Bogota. Move Caracas 1W. Add Panama/open up the tile.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I can't answer everything individually, but it is all taken into consideration.

Why Tashkent in that place?
I was stupid and forgot to rename it. It is supposed to be Turfan.

Also, the Safavid dynasty of Iran didn't collapse until 1736. Is there some sort of upper limit on how many civilizations should be at the start of the game?
No. Iran will be present and playable, just hasn't been added yet. I don't think there is a point to the Moors or Mali though, especially if one of them is starting as a vassal.

A native city should spawn in New Zealand to represent the Maori.
Do we know a city name, preferably with a significant modern city as a successor so it remains sound after conquest?

Do we know a city name, preferably with a significant modern city as a successor so it remains sound after conquest?

Tāmakimakaurau = Auckland
Ōtautahi = Christchurch
Te Whanganui-a-Tara = Wellington
Rotorua = Rotorua (unsurprisingly)
Whakatū = Nelson
Ōtepoti = Dunedin

Disclaimer: Maori encampments were not cities in the true modern sense. Villages would be a good term to describe even their biggest settlements. But for gameplay reasons I think it would be worthwhile to require some conquest of the indigenous peoples for colonisation of New Zealand.

On the contrary, I don't see this "point" at all, so I'm not obscuring it by any means.

Leoreth have said time and again that playability takes precedence over historical realism. He gave me this argument when I asked why England starts with 3 cities in India instead of 1, and I find it a satisfactory and reasonable argument.

So yeah, maybe you should get the memo first before you start calling names.

would you consider egypt to be more playable if we changed some of those pesky desert tiles to grassland?

sometimes, non ideal cities are part of the game. as long as there is a good balance in the end, it doesnt matter that "oh this city would have been a little better one to the west"

i think really, as much as possible the cities in the 1700 scenario should reflect the state of the world at the time. the game is about what you want to do from that point.

Putting a city in NZ to represent maroi i don't think is needed. Much like placing cities in Australia to represent the Aboriginals is also not needed.

Perhaps some independent cities where the Mali use to be so that France has to better time settling the area.

Venice should be on the map and under Austrian control. I think that is a far better option then Milan being independent. I know it is not historical but again is a more player-able option.

Perhaps remove Boston, it is a bad city when New York is on the map, Give the British York Factory and settle Quebec City and Halifax as New France. But at the start the British should have a larger standing army so that they can drive the French out of New France quickly.

I believe that Saint-Petersburg was under the control of Sweden in 1700. However, this only lasted until 1703. So if St Petersburg is to be Russian it should also be the capital.

St. Petersburg was founded in 1703 by Peter the Great in order to keep the Swedish Empire from controlling the whole Baltic Sea. It was made capital in 1712. Sweden lost control of all areas on the southern coast of Baltic by 1721.

Can someone please post screenshots of the city placement?

I would also go with the Venice-to-Austria proposal...
And I'd also like to see some screenshots :shifty:

I'm quite a fan of the idea of giving Budapest and Venice to Austria. Also, should there be independent cities in Mongolia? Without them I think it's unlikely the area will ever get settled or Mongolia ever respawned.

I'd rather keep Belgrad instead of Budapest. The former doesn't infringe on Wien that much and makes it easier to start the Balkans under Turkish control.

Edit: I think Italy can start with the consequences of the War of the Spanish Succession already in effect, i.e. Milan and Naples under Austrian control.

Perhaps remove Boston, it is a bad city when New York is on the map, Give the British York Factory and settle Quebec City and Halifax as New France. But at the start the British should have a larger standing army so that they can drive the French out of New France quickly.

This would be more accurate. I'm not sure what to do with Halifax, since it was taken by the British in 1713, shortly after the start date. If it's French, it should be named Port-Royal, though.

I want to keep Boston to ensure a realistic American core when they spawn.

Top Bottom