2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may be onto something there.

I wouldn't mind if they held them to higher standards if they actually did.

Just watched a Jimmy Dore video showing Biden giving a speech to raise money for his presidential run in '08... He vociferously bragged about how he wrote the legislation creating the drug czar and building a 700 mile long fence to keep the illegals and their drugs out of the country. He sounded like Trump talking about the border. Dore showed Biden claiming to have the most progressive record of all the other candidates who are running or who would run in 2020. Dore said Biden should run against Trump...in the Republican primaries.

Watching the two of them face off would be like watching two old men arguing over a dish of jelly in the old folks home.

Just watched a Jimmy Dore video showing Biden giving a speech to raise money for his presidential run in '08... He vociferously bragged about how he wrote the legislation creating the drug czar and building a 700 mile long fence to keep the illegals and their drugs out of the country. He sounded like Trump talking about the border. Dore showed Biden claiming to have the most progressive record of all the other candidates who are running or who would run in 2020. Dore said Biden should run against Trump...in the Republican primaries.
It's so crazy how small the difference really is. I asked my dad (a hardcore conservative) why conservatives hated Obama so much and the best he could muster is Trump is better for business. No specifics, just a belief.

business money is god... meanwhile in the bible these evangelicals claim to believe in, criticism of Mammon...

It's so crazy how small the difference really is. I asked my dad (a hardcore conservative) why conservatives hated Obama so much and the best he could muster is Trump is better for business. No specifics, just a belief.
That's the problem, there are no specifics so he fell back on belief. (probably because he couldn't think of anything.)

Right? Obama codified the Bush tax cuts which were set to sunset, opened up the arctic to drilling, turned 2 wars into 8, he was known as the deporter in chief because he deported more illegals in his first term than Bush did in eight years, etc. There just isn't much difference.

I mean there are currently videos of Biden hating on immigrants, touting votes for a border wall and bragging about his crime bill. There just is not enough difference between the two parties to justify any real voter turnout.

People vote out of civic duty but otherwise, fudge it.

I mean there are currently videos of Biden hating on immigrants, touting votes for a border wall and bragging about his crime bill. There just is not enough difference between the two parties to justify any real voter turnout.
There's plenty of difference, especially if another seat on the court comes open, and all the opening in lower level courts. It's going to take a decade to undo what the republicans have done to subvert democracy. And consider that I used to be a republican.

I mean, the answer is because Obama and Trump are the same thing, just packaged differently rhetorically.

I mean, the answer is because Obama and Trump are the same thing, just packaged differently rhetorically.
You might be pushing your case a bit too hard here. I'm plenty critical of milquetoast "Third Way" neo-liberal centrism and triangulation, but there are leagues of difference between Obama-esque centrism and the vomit-inducing Franken-platypus that is Trump.

EDIT: Why is it that GOP "moderates" always expect the Democratic candidate to come to them, but GOP candidates never make moves to get Democratic 'moderates?
I’m a Republican and I Oppose Trump. Now What?
Swing voters like me could help Democrats win in 2020—but the candidates have to respect our ideas to gain our votes.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...republicans-could-help-democrats-2020/589933/

Last edited:
Trump did, he went all populism on the Dems and won the rust belt

Reagan Democrats?

Yea and he did it buy telling them conservative policies that have always failed them would help them this time! Reality of the body politic is a sad sad story.

You might be pushing your case a bit too hard here. I'm plenty critical of milquetoast "Third Way" neo-liberal centrism and triangulation, but there are leagues of difference between Obama-esque centrism and the vomit-inducing Franken-platypus that is Trump.
I'm with Ajidica on this one. Obama is one of those people who tend to veer to centre and compromise unnecessarily and are thus of use to the neocons, but at least he started a move towards expanding healthcare and so on. Donald Trump's administration is actively moving things to the right and openly gloating about it.

Trump did, he went all populism on the Dems and won the rust belt
What 'Democratic' policies has Trump adopted? His record on health and education funding is a disaster, he nominates fiercely anti-union people to the NLRB and Supreme Court, and his on again-off again flirtation with government directed infrastructure investment falls to bits so often "Infrastructure Week" has become a joke.

Reagan Democrats?
I'll be honest, I don't know much about this time period in terms of political parties, but I'm unaware of any Democratic policies that Reagan adopted in order to win over traditional Democratic voters. That's sort of my point - that these days you get all the Republicans saying stuff like "Oh, the Democrats need to adopt some GOP policies if they want to win my vote" yet somehow the reverse never holds true. (And the Republican votes GOP anyhow.)

He told them he'd renegotiate bad trade deals
I'm failing to see how that is "adopting Democratic policies" as one of Trump's big things on the campaign trail was about he was going to do the opposite of Democrats and negotiate good trade deals.

I'm failing to see how that is "adopting Democratic policies" as one of Trump's big things on the campaign trail was about he was going to do the opposite of Democrats and negotiate good trade deals.
Trump's was faux populism just like Obama's was faux progressivism. "Hope and Change" meant just about as much as Trump's MAGA did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom