22 Year old blows self up in Israeli bus station, 8 dead, dozens wounded

Sh3kel

Emperor
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/17/telaviv.blast/index.html

Suicide bomber kills 8 in Tel Aviv

Monday, April 17, 2006; Posted: 9:58 a.m. EDT (13:58 GMT)

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- A suicide bomber set off a blast Monday in a restaurant at the old central bus station in Tel Aviv, Israel, killing eight people, police and ambulance services said.

The bomber also died in the Passover terror attack, the first since Hamas took over power in the Palestinian Authority last month. It also occurred just hours before a special session of the Israeli parliament.

A witness, Moussa al Zidat, told The Associated Press that the guard at the restaurant asked the apparent bomber to open his bag.

"I saw a young man starting to open his bag. The guard begins opening the bag, and then I heard a boom," the witness told the AP.

Police said 49 people were taken to hospitals. One of those victims later died of his wounds. Another eight people were critically wounded and 12 others were in moderate condition, ambulance officials said.

The attack came at the peak travel period during the weeklong Jewish holiday of Passover.

The Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility. (Watch emergency responders work to save victims after the attack -- 1:35)

The group is dedicated to the creation of an Islamic Palestinian state and the destruction of Israel. Israel and the United States consider the group to be a terrorist organization, and it has carried out military operations against Israeli soldiers and civilians.

Reflecting the shifting power structure in the Palestinian Authority, the bombing provoked conflicting responses from Palestinian leaders.

A Hamas spokesman, in an interview with Al-Jazeera television, described the attack as an "act of self-defense" against the Israeli occupation.

Hamas, which has maintained a case-fire, refuses to recognize the right of Israel to exist and faces isolation from the international community.

Palestinian legislator Saeb Erakat said the attack has been condemned by Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas -- a member of the Fatah party that Hamas defeated in the January 25 elections.

"I condemn this attack on behalf of President Mahmoud Abbas, Abu Mazen, as we have always condemned attacks targeting civilians, whether Palestinian or Israelis," Erakat said. "Such attacks harm Palestinian interests. We call upon all Palestinians to abide by the cessation of violence."

The bombing was among the first major security challenges for Israeli Prime Minister designate Ehud Olmert since he won March 28 elections, taking over from the ailing Ariel Sharon.

Olmert met with his Kadima faction at the Israeli Knesset and said that Israel would respond appropriately to the attack.

"We will know how to respond in the way and manner required,and we will continue to act with all means at our disposal to thwart further such incidents," Olmert said.

The wounded were treated on sidewalks. One man was lying on his side, his shirt pushed up and his back covered by bandages, the AP reported. A bleeding woman was taken away on a stretcher, and a dazed-looking man was walking, with his white T-shirt splattered with blood, according to the AP.

The explosion shattered car windshields and blew out windows in buildings, the AP reported. The sign of the restaurant's building was blown away, the AP said. Bottles and other debris were scattered up to 27 yards (25 meters) from the site, according to the AP.
Repeat attack

On January 19, a suicide bomber attacked a falafel restaurant in what was reported to be the year's first suicide bombing in Israel.

Police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said Monday's attack occurred at the same eatery.

The old bus station is a mall area usually packed with workers.

Israeli police have said it is difficult to patrol, making it a favorite target of suicide bombers.

CNN's Yoav Appel, Avivit Dalgoshen and John Vause contributed to this report.

Copyright 2006 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

Another suicide bombing leaves 8 civilians dead, dozens wounded and the people who claim responsiblity for the attack are members of ultra-radical terrorist groups claiming their right to retaliate against agression by erradicating Israel from the map. The bomber was a 22 year old from the village of Jenin, adding yet another name to the pantheon of insanity produced by the Islamic Jihad. In an unrelated topic, The Iranian government then proceeds to say it will give 50 millions in US dollars to the radical government calling for our death, and still globably Palestinian supporters claim that this attack is the equivalent of the "poor-man's" helicopter and tank and justified in their actions.

There comes a time in a nation's history where it must decide wether its foreign policy is being criticized justly, or does it suffer from paranoia and delusions of persecution. When the Iranian people give 50 million to the same people that blow themselves up in my resoruces, I deduct two things:

1) They're not poor enough to justify blowing up buildings as additional recourses are more than available to them;
2) The Iranian government is trying to get us killed already via indirect means, what's to stop their lunatic of a president from sending us down a stroll through atomic lane when they've got the bomb?

Discuss.

I don't see suicide bombings as very different from other warfare, it just takes more courage to execute. Why is it that Japanese kamikaze-pilots are brave and Palestinian suicide bombers are cowards? There is a war going on in Palestine, I just wish they would stop attacking civilian targets, it will win them very little support except among those who already support them.

You are very right Shekel.

The scary thing is many people think that since Iran never attacked other countries we shouldn't be afraid of their nuclear ambitions and openly agressive statements of their president should be dismissed as bravade of foolish child.

You know what this reminds me of? Right, of coming Hitler to the power. It is amasingly similar.

Iran is hardly in the same ballpark as the 3rd Reich.
President MadMood is not a patch on Adolf either...

That sandy religious nuthouse would be crushed easily by the Allies.

Holding onto it would be a bit of a toughie though! Why doesn't Israel
just make with the F-16s and do some aerial redecoration on Tehran???

You lot sit around and let the West do all the work - You guys
should make use of that 1st rate military, and get killing jihadists!

I want to see this happen!

Leha said:

The scary thing is many people think that since Iran never attacked other countries we shouldn't be afraid of their nuclear ambitions and openly agressive statements of their president should be dismissed as bravade of foolish child.

You know what this reminds me of? Right, of coming Hitler to the power. It is amasingly similar.
I disagree and feel the comparison cheapens the value of the entire era, and also I would like to remove the invoking of Godwin's law from the thread by preventing a de-railing. Hitler rose to power riding a wave of nationalistic feelings and by building his powerbase on injured German pride, in what was mostly an internal politics affairs. Ahmadinajan however rose to power on a wave of disgust with current politics and politicians and built his powerbase on radical messianic Islamic interpretations, which are a volatile mix of inner politics with exterior xenophobia and hatred. The former was a power-hungry, egotistical maniac with serious racial issues and major traumas from war experiences and a screwed up childhood, yet was essentially a logical and rather rational human being up until he went bananas in 1942. The latter, however, has proven more than once his motives are irrational and span more than just racial hatred deep into what may be explained as just plain insanity and dementia...

Sh3kel said:
I disagree and feel the comparison cheapens the value of the entire era, and also I would like to remove the invoking of Godwin's law from the thread by preventing a de-railing. Hitler rose to power riding a wave of nationalistic feelings and by building his powerbase on injured German pride, in what was mostly an internal politics affairs. Ahmadinajan however rose to power on a wave of disgust with current politics and politicians and built his powerbase on radical messianic Islamic interpretations, which are a volatile mix of inner politics with exterior xenophobia and hatred. The former was a power-hungry, egotistical maniac with serious racial issues and major traumas from war experiences and a screwed up childhood, yet was essentially a logical and rather rational human being up until he went bananas in 1942. The latter, however, has proven more than once his motives are irrational and span more than just racial hatred deep into what may be explained as just plain insanity and dementia...

No no. I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about "not understanding" of coming problem by european countries. When understanding came it was almost too late.

CurtSibling said:
I would like to mention that my sympathies are with those who died today in Israel due to irrational and wicked religious maniacs.

Thank you Curt.

In reply to your previous post, I think bombing of Iran by our F-16 is a bit problematic. :)
I may be mistaking of course.

It was self defense.

Sami Abu Zuhri, the official spokesman for Hamas, said the attack was "a natural result of the continued Israeli crimes" against Palestinians.

"Our people are in a state of self-defence and they have every right to use all means to defend themselves," he added.

Hamas, which has carried out dozens of previous bombings, has been observing a ceasefire with Israel for more than a year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4915868.stm

At least theyre open and upfront about being terrorists. Makes things easier and less complicated for the Israelis when its time to strike back.

CurtSibling said:
I would like to mention that my sympathies are with those who died today in Israel due to irrational and wicked religious maniacs.

Seconded.

Gabryel Karolin said:
I don't see suicide bombings as very different from other warfare, it just takes more courage to execute. Why is it that Japanese kamikaze-pilots are brave and Palestinian suicide bombers are cowards? There is a war going on in Palestine, I just wish they would stop attacking civilian targets, it will win them very little support except among those who already support them.

The suicide element is imaterial, the targeting of civilians by anyone - lone fanatic or government - is dispicable. That is the massive difference.

The biggest problems with Isreal useing F-16s for redecorating Irans land scape is 1) fly over rights and 2) Irans air defences are preaty good. It would take stealth air craft to to avoid radar then attack air craft to counter the planes iran would launch. An air attack would need comboined air statgy to get the job done something Isreal just doesn't have by its self.

Homicide bomers that blow them selves up are NOT brave they are stupid brainwashed losers. "Plastinians" deserve to be poor if they think what they are doing is the right way to go about it.

Leha said:

No, it is not.

Nobody disputes that Iran with nuclear weapons would be a bad thing. The question is whether can we do anything about that without causing much worse consequences.

Simply put, your claim that because Iran supports the palestinian terrorists, it will give them a nuclear bomb once it builds one, is wrong. It is based on fear and inherent Israeli bias (and I mean no offence to you or any Israeli), which is understandable.

The fact is, that the very fact Iran supports various kinds of terrorist groups doesn't mean that it will support them also with nuclear weapons or that it will directly use nuclear weapons against Israel. History is full of examples of nuclear countries supporting all kinds of subversive groups in other countries, while keeping their nuclear weapons safely in stores.

For Iran, terrorism is just a way how to put some pressure to Israel. Don't confuse its support for terrorism with a suicidal will to sacrifice itself in some apocalyptic war with Israel.

Anyway, it is terrible and disgusting show of what kind of people the Palestinians are.

I hope they won't see any single €uro from the EU in the future and I am glad that my country, the Czech Republic, isn't supporting them. At least we know, who are the "good guys" in the Middle East.

Winner said:
No, it is not.

Nobody disputes that Iran with nuclear weapons would be a bad thing. The question is whether can we do anything about that without causing much worse consequences.

Simply put, your claim that because Iran supports the palestinian terrorists, it will give them a nuclear bomb once it builds one, is wrong. It is based on fear and inherent Israeli bias (and I mean no offence to you or any Israeli), which is understandable.

The fact is, that the very fact Iran supports various kinds of terrorist groups doesn't mean that it will support them also with nuclear weapons or that it will directly use nuclear weapons against Israel. History is full of examples of nuclear countries supporting all kinds of subversive groups in other countries, while keeping their nuclear weapons safely in stores.

For Iran, terrorism is just a way how to put some pressure to Israel. Don't confuse its support for terrorism with a suicidal will to sacrifice itself in some apocalyptic war with Israel.

I respect your opinion of course. And I wholeheartedly hope you are right. But history is good teacher. In 1930's noone imagined Germany will attack and conquer all continental Europe. :)

Leha said:
I respect your opinion of course. And I wholeheartedly hope you are right. But history is good teacher. In 1930's noone imagined Germany will attack and conquer all continental Europe. :)

Sure, because people then were short sighted idiots (j/k). But Iran isn't Germany. The best thing they can hope for is that they scare the Americans enough to leave them alone.

And I think Israel has enough power to blow them straight down to hell if they try to do something foolish ;)

Anyway, it is terrible and disgusting show of what kind of people the Palestinians are.

Czechs would do the same thing under the same circuimstances.

---

This is indeed a despicable act of violence, murder of innocent civilians...

But, you seem to forget something. It's war... w, a, r - war. There are no morals in warfare, there has never been and never will be.

The Palestinian fighters attack Israeli civilians because they have no choice, and because it would be incredibly stupid to attack against Israeli armed forces.

Its pretty simple. In war, you always attack were the enemy is least prepared, where enemy is at its weakest. You never fight like the enemy wants you to fight. That would be stupid, now wouldn't it? Let's go to the very root level. When facing an enemy tank, you don't shoot at its frontal armour - which is the most armoured part of the tank btw - you try to get behind it, or let it drive past you, and then fire on its weaker back.

Next level. When facing an army, you don't fight acording to the rules or wishes of your enemy. You don't face them directly, you out-manouver them, out-flank them, and you attack where they cannot expect it. You attack them from behind, and you stab their backs.

Now, when facing a stronger foreign power, that has armies you simply cannot defeat.You attack against their civilians, who cannot defend themselves, not against their army, who can defend themselves too well.

IMHO.

It's hate and revenge, pure and simple. Any strategic "logic" of this kind of attack is just post-hoc window dressing, rationalizing a pre-existing emotional impulse.

Top Bottom