31 US special forces killed in Afghanistan

Seems like the Afghani freedom fighters are picking up some speed again. Vive le resistance!

If the Afghanis get the weapons to shoot down aircraft it will be a real gamechanger

They have had the weapons to do that for a decade (RPGs, heavy MGs). It doesnt take much to bring down a helicopter, they are far more fragile and much easier to hit than airplanes.

yea. just going by number of operations they take there, and how much harder it is to prevent accident, it actually pretty good that there aren't as much accidents.

Errr. Huh? I think you may have mis-stated that. Usually the reverse is true and more accidents happen in combat zones simply because attention to detail gets worse as fatigue and stress add up.

@Thoughtful Thug . I respect your edit but let's add often misguided without deleting brave . As for my focus on Americans , many of my countrymen have died aswell and maybe I'm the misguided one but sometimes some solidarity is called for .

But yeah , war sucks
Bravery is not the first description I would use for them allowing themselves to be misguided.

Can we keep the political rhetoric down to a minimum please? Its entirely possible that I might know some of the pilots and/or crew of this mission as I have friends in Aviation units there in Afghanistan. So please gauge your comments to reflect that this could be personal to some here.

Can we keep the political rhetoric down to a minimum please? Its entirely possible that I might know some of the pilots and/or crew of this mission as I have friends in Aviation units there in Afghanistan. So please gauge your comments to reflect that this could be personal to some here.
I'll let that do the talking then.
:cooool:

They have had the weapons to do that for a decade (RPGs, heavy MGs). It doesnt take much to bring down a helicopter, they are far more fragile and much easier to hit than airplanes.

Errr. Huh? I think you may have mis-stated that. Usually the reverse is true and more accidents happen in combat zones simply because attention to detail gets worse as fatigue and stress add up.

Yea I meant that we should be expecting more. And the number of occurence isn't actually bad for what we should be expecting.

Well, the transported soldiers were apparently Navy SEAL Team 6 guys, for what that's worth...

25 of em. Its not clear if the CH-47 were an Army bird just transporting them or not.

It seems rather dubious that a helicopter supposedly containing members of SEAL Team Six just "happens" to be destroyed three months ,to the day, after the announcement bin Laden's death.

Some of us know Afghani refugees. These have suffered horribly at the hand of the men who they just killed. Keep the war retoric down.

Do lots of Afghan refugees post on Stormfront like you do then?

While I can appreciate that this would be horrible for people who knows any of these people, I suggest anyone who won't be able to handle the usual type of discussion for that reason should stay out of the thread. I wouldn't expect people to moderate their tones based on the possibility someone here might know some of them, possibly.

Several newssources report that the chopper was shot down, based on eyewitness accounts. I guess that a Chinnock is very vulnerable if hit by a missile/rpg. Strange if they had no gunship support, considering the strike team it carried.

Incidently, one of the stealth choppers during the Seal Team 6 raid on Bin Laden also crashed, but not because of enemy fire and no lifes were lost on that occasion.

RIP guys...

Several newssources report that the chopper was shot down, based on eyewitness accounts. I guess that a Chinnock is very vulnerable if hit by a missile/rpg. Strange if they had no gunship support, considering the strike team it carried.

Incidently, one of the stealth choppers during the Seal Team 6 raid on Bin Laden also crashed, but not because of enemy fire and no lifes were lost on that occasion.

RIP guys...

Yeah that is strange, because they are supposed to have support. The chinook is just like a flying bus from the 1950s upgraded with maybe some anti-air chafes. There are special SF helicopters that are much better. I hope they weren't victims of budget cuts.

RIP

Ouch. Very unusual for America to lose so many in one day. My condolences to the families.

I guess this will trash that Taliban peace deal if it wasn't trashed already? (Then again, "Taliban" is a blanket term, so this could just be an isolated group)

It seems rather dubious that a helicopter supposedly containing members of SEAL Team Six just "happens" to be destroyed three months ,to the day, after the announcement bin Laden's death.

Yes, Obama had them killed. Well spotted, chap, well spotted.

Ouch. Very unusual for America to lose so many in one day. My condolences to the families.

I guess this will trash that Taliban peace deal if it wasn't trashed already? (Then again, "Taliban" is a blanket term, so this could just be an isolated group)

It shouldn't trash it.

It shouldn't trash it.

Well, I just mean that since Taliban is used as a blanket term, many Americans will assume this Taliban attack was perpetrated by the people we're negotiating with. Translation: Americans will condemn any signing of a peace accord, and so no sane politician will touch it with a ten foot pole.

It was memebers of the same unit that killed bin laden. Still no confirmation that any of the same team that killed him died in this.

Top Bottom