1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3rd and 4th Unique Components for VP - Official thread

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by pineappledan, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Hinin

Hinin Chieftain

Spoiler Other project discussion (sorry) :

Yeab, only the arts, the AI personality and the UA will change. The UCs will stay the same.
    There is a mod allowing several leaders to be associated to the same civilization, so that several leaders of the same civ can't be chosen randomly at the same time. I don't manage to find the name of the mod though (it may be a JFD mod, but I'm not sure)...

Here is an example with the Arabia split mod by TarcisioCM.
    Spoiler Picture :

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net.jpg

Well, I didn't even expected people to be interested so quickly, and I mostly wanted to create leader concepts for other people to use in case of need. If the project evolves in a direction that allows actual completion of some leaders, I would be happy enough.

Well, I was in the middle of making the concepts for Songhai when I had to stop, so I was very surprised to see the project continue months after my departure. I decided to cheer you up a little at the beginning, but I was so happy that I ended trying to do as much as I could to help you. :D

Let us hope that I don't have to disappear for another semester this time...

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

A ton of people are having issues with the triggers that @HungryForFood and I have had to add to our 3UC/4UC compatible civs to make them work.

I wonder if a more elegant solution would be to update this mod with a file with all the unitclass and buildingclass overrides that are needed by those mods.
    Ie. add the SQL table that adds onager wagon and Eduba to THIS mod, so the Sumer mod doesn’t have to play around with gimmicky triggers. All the rest of the assets and code can stay in the Sumer/Prussia/Papal States mods, except the sql which tacks then onto those civs if 3/4UC is installed

3. adan_eslavo

adan_eslavo Archmage of all Pixels Supporter

@Svcri @HungryForFood @pineappledan So if I understood correctly text issues aren't caused by the MUCfVP mod itself but because you use some additional civilizations like Israel or Sumer? If not, I would ask for some logs and modlist you use because without that I cannot help you. I play current game with v31.2 + some fixes (not text fixes of course) made recently and I cannot find the issue. Everything works fine with latest VP (4-30-1) on my comp.

I think the best thing will be add SEPARATE compatibility mod like I did for VPEE. Don't mess main mod with such things. @pineappledan I understand you are interested in making such modmod?

@pineappledan I started revision of MUCfVP texts. I want to make it as polished as possible and maybe later I will try to do same revision for VP itself. We will see. If you are interested you can look at first 2 and a half part of it. It contains many capital letters changes and missing icons added. I reordered some info, and grouped it more tematically. I added some missing info. Fixed Riad descriptions (no more 1c per 5 citizen). I will try to add some further changes tomorrow.

4. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

Yeah, I am thinking that for now I might have Sumer come default with all 4 UCs activated, and if people don't like it they can rename/delete the file which contains the extra UCs.

The main issue I have with the solution you propose is that any updates or bug fixes for any custom civs have to be made twice if modders do separate base and 4UC-compatible versions of their civs. it would be far less hassle to have the 4UC mod include the Civilization_UnitClassOverrides. All that would be added to 4UCforVP would be the following bits for each compatible civ. If the civ is not installed then nothing would happen. Well, I guess an error would appear, but that's it
    Code:
    --SUMER
    --------------------------------
    -- Civilization_UnitClassOverrides
    INSERT INTO    Civilization_UnitClassOverrides
                (CivilizationType,        UnitClassType,                UnitType)
    VALUES        ('CIVILIZATION_AKKADIAN_MOD', 'UNITCLASS_CHARIOT_ARCHER',    'UNIT_LITE_AKKAD_ONAGER_WAGON');
    -- Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides
    INSERT INTO    Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides
                (CivilizationType,        BuildingClassType,            BuildingType)
    VALUES        ('CIVILIZATION_AKKADIAN_MOD', 'BUILDINGCLASS_GROVE', 'BUILDING_SUMER_EDUBA');
    Also the Oppidum improvement does not receive the +4:c5faith:/:c5science: from Knowledge through Devotion. It will be fixed in the next version

5. HungryForFood

HungryForFood Chieftain

There are issues?

6. HungryForFood

HungryForFood Chieftain

@adan_eslavo I found the error. My Prussia compatibility and this mod both alter TXT_KEY_MISC_YOU_UNIT_WAS_DAMAGED_AOE_STRIKE_ON_MOVE. I was actually the one that added the AoEDamageOnMove column to the DLL, and didn't expect someone else to be using it at the same time as me (really should have!). So my solution will be to add the string TXT_KEY_MISC_YOU_UNIT_WAS_DAMAGED_AOE_STRIKE_ON_MOVE directly to CP, and we both remove that text from the mods.

We'll need a neutral name, what do you suggest? Perhaps a generic 'Splash Damage' will do.

7. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

I keep getting complaints about it re: Sumer, and someone claimed to have the same issue with your Papal States mod in the same thread

The current use of AOE on move is “scythe”. That’s fairly general already. What is it called in your Prussia mod?

8. HungryForFood

HungryForFood Chieftain

I'm using the rather wordy 'Legacy of the Black Duke', but I think just 'Splash Damage' should be fine.

9. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

There was so much opportunities to integrate definitly EE to VP for long time...

10. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

SPlash damage is already the text for splash damage. I’ll reiterate that scythe is short and gets the job done. It also effectively communicates what is happening (unit gets attacked by lateral movement of something beside it). Legacy of the black duke is too long; I think this change would be for the better anyways. :lol:
    wut?

11. HungryForFood

HungryForFood Chieftain

Scythe is not really neutral though; it's referring to the Scythed Chariot. We want something that any modder can use and fit into whatever he/she is doing, and not follow too closely to an existing mod.

12. adan_eslavo

I do not know what we are talking about. We created just new Scythe promotion using prebuilt AOE function from VP using totally new text fields. We didn't modify existing VP texts. How can this be incompatible?

13. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

'Scythe' isn't terribly NON-general either. There are 2 criteria this text needs to satisfy:

1. The name comes up every time the unit moves adjacent to at least 1 enemy unit. It can come up multiple times per turn and on multiple units at once. As a result, the name has to be short, max of 2 syllables, or it will crowd out and look terrible.
    2. The name should be something general to indicate that something came in for a swooping "drive-by" attack

some ideas:
    Scythe
    Slice
    Reap
    Harry
    Rend

@HungryForFood used the exact same function for the Death's Head Hussar unit. It didn't have a name before the 4UC mod gave it a text entry. Now there are two modmods which assign 2 different names to the same misc text prompt

14. adan_eslavo

But the only thing we did was asigning "1" value to the table. So the cbp table column is written wrong way? In our code we use our own text entries. I cannot find place where we could change that MISCAOETEXT. Promotion name shouldn't cause any issues.

15. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

Gametext.xml lines 2059-2067
    Code:
            <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_UNIT_CELTS_SCYTHE">
                <Text>Scythe</Text>
            </Row>
            <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_MISC_YOU_UNIT_WAS_DAMAGED_AOE_STRIKE_ON_MOVE">
                <Text>Scythe</Text>
            </Row>
            <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_UNIT_CELTS_SCYTHE_HELP">
                <Text>[COLOR_POSITIVE_TEXT]On Move[ENDCOLOR] unit inflicts flat damage [COLOR_POSITIVE_TEXT]to all new adjacent Enemy Units[ENDCOLOR]. +1 Sight.</Text>
            </Row>

As an aside, Hot damn, that's 2700 lines of text

adan_eslavo likes this.
  16. HungryForFood

HungryForFood Chieftain

AoEDamageOnMove calls the text with the tag TXT_KEY_MISC_YOU_UNIT_WAS_DAMAGED_AOE_STRIKE_ON_MOVE (tag can only be changed in DLL) as a popup on the map when it is triggered. I did not set a default text in CP when I added the column, which meant that anyone who uses that column will need to set some text for that tag. Since Prussia and 4UC both use that column, there is now a conflict as both mods set a text for the tag.

Out of the list, I like 'rend' the best. I also think 'slash' will be good.

17. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

18. HungryForFood

HungryForFood Chieftain

You need to delete the entry completely, because I'm going to set a TXT_KEY_MISC_YOU_UNIT_WAS_DAMAGED_AOE_STRIKE_ON_MOVE in Community Patch. Keep the promotion name as Scythe, the point is that the entry in CP does not directly refer to any one mod.

The change will show up when Gazebo releases the next version.

Also what's DHH? Death's Head Hussar...

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  19. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

20. adan_eslavo

Ahh, you added that when lua file for Scythed Chariot was deleted. I missed that.