4,99$ For Babylon

BTS costed about $30... 10 new civilzations, 16 new leaders, 25 new units, 18 new buildings 12 new scenarios, five new wonders, added espionage, added corporations...

You do the math. Then tell me if you still think that $4.99 is a good price for a single civilization.

Obviously Babylon was done at the time of release. They used it as a money grab for the deluxe edition and are now using it as a money grab again. Since it was finished, they could have easily included it in the regular game.

And what's wrong with a business making money? This is called a free market for a reason. And how do you think people that paid and extra $10 USD for babylon + soundtrack + behind the scenes would feel if they gave away babylon for free?

You're not willing to pay for Babylon, that's obvious, but don't sit here and act like Firaxis or 2K Games is evil for making good business decisions or just because you believe something should be free.

I also think it is naive to think the Mongols weren't ready to go at launch, but that can't be proven.

In what world are you owed free content based on when that content was ready?

Seriously? What do you get for five bucks today? A cup of coffee or half a cinema ticket (45-60 min worth of entertainment).

And you can't compare this to the complete game, probably a lot of people who bought the game won't buy this. So the development costs must be split between fewer people.

And best of all - if you don't want to buy it, guess what - you don't have to!

I'm not spending any more money on this game. they can release whatever they want im done with it and will hug any mods that make this game better and leave it at that.

BTS costed about $30... 10 new civilzations, 16 new leaders, 25 new units, 18 new buildings 12 new scenarios, five new wonders, added espionage, added corporations...

You do the math. Then tell me if you still think that $4.99 is a good price for a single civilization.

This is the free market; vote with your wallet. If you think it's a fair price, buy it, but conversely don't fall into the trap of believing that what is or is not a fair price for you holds true for all others.

The DLC is not an expansion.

Why don't you wait till the expansion is out and then you can compare apples to apples?

Well i paid an extra 10$ for them, so that's what i think people that didn't buy the collectors edition should pay too...lol i'm j/k i don't really care, if you guys don't want to pay $5 for Babylon, don't. But they are easily the easiest science win race. ;)

BTS was released 2 YEARS after vanilla civilization 4. I can have access to Babylon NOW, not in two years when MAYBE an expansion will arrive, see the difference?

Stop comparing this DLC with an expansion pack, it wont work. Also leader graphic in BTS are primitive compared to civ5 leaderheads.

So yes $4,99 is a good deal if you like the game and want some extra content.

Also $30 back in 2007 are not worth 30$ today.

Guys, I'm 99% sure the Mongolian DLC was already created months ago as it required assets from the art team that was let go. They're probably got several other Civs completed and ready to be trickled out over time to keep revenue coming in.

My only hope is this revenue isn't squandered for pure profit and goes towards a very active development regimen for the core game. The game has potential but it needs a lot of work. They've also got to fit in the next expansion pack, so maybe they can increase the size of the team instead of working them to death or sacrificing one or the other.

There is no way I would pay $4.99 for a medium latte - what a ripoff. Anybody who is willing to pay $4.99 for a stupid cup of coffee should be more than willing to pay $5 for a new civ. ;)

I wouldn't pay 4.99 for a medium latte either.

For an extra-large triple-shot mocha, though... made with the special Ghirardelli stuff?? NOW you're talking! ;)

(That said, I'm not forking over $5 for one Civ. It's just not worth that much to me. Vote with your wallets, people.)

The argument that $5 isn't much compared to other things isn't very strong. I don't hand out $5 bills on my way to work because I think it isn't very much money. The point is whether you feel you are getting your money's worth, and in this case, a comparison can be made to how much things cost in the past (civs in expansions).

BTS was released 2 YEARS after vanilla civilization 4. I can have access to Babylon NOW, not in two years when MAYBE an expansion will arrive, see the difference?

Yes I do. The difference is that they excluded Babylon from the the game just to be able to sell it as DLC. It's like they hade shipped BTS with only five new of the new civs to the same precis, and then sell the rest of them as DLC.

really firaxis, really?
you are creating DLC's that give you payoff before even finishing your alpha version game?

except making new civ's for DLC doesn't really take much in the way of programing time. I'm sure they have a guy that can knock out the code in a half hour. its the Art that takes time, that's what we are paying for. the leader heads and UU art. it takes time, and imo its worth the money.

and since its primarily art resources involved in these types of DLC, programming resources are mostly unaffected by DLC like this. its not an either/or deal, they can absolutely work on the patch and work on DLC at the same time.

Top Bottom