4,99$ For Babylon

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MoonFlare, Oct 19, 2010.

1. jpinard

jpinard Martian

There is antoher field of thought. Maybe they plan on $2.99 DLC and had to offer Babylon at $5.00 because they were afraid those who bought the Digital Deluxe edition would scream they were ripped off at a much lower DLC price.

2. eviltypeguy

eviltypeguy Warlord

There's another implicit assumption in this discussion as well -- that they're going to sell all future civilizations one-by-one. Has anyone stopped to think that maybe they only released the mongols by itself because it was free, and Babylon by itself beacuse that's the way it was included with the deluxe version of the game?

Where have they said they plan on releasing every civilization as a standalone DLC pack instead of possibly releasing a pack with multiple civilizations later?

3. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

DLC packs have been confirmed (2 Civs + Scenario).

There may be other compilations as well, no info yet though.

4. DiabolicX

DiabolicX Chieftain

Why would anyone pay $5 for a civ that will get modded in for free? I dont get their approach on this, how are they going to sell civers who mostly live on mods additions that they are going to get for free anyways? Weird.

5. jpinard

jpinard Martian

Because there are tons of people who like official content if it's a good value. I'm one. I don't have much money at all, but I want to see my fav developers be successful and prosper.

6. Minmaster

Minmaster Prince

yea i gave civ5 the benefit of the doubt since civ1-4 were all worth my money... sadly civ5 isn't even worth $10 i spent to get just babylon.

7. eviltypeguy

eviltypeguy Warlord

There's no legal way to mod in these civilizations with the content that Firaxis produced. Read the license on the DLC packs.

8. Ankh

Ankh Warlord

This argument I don't understand, please enlighten me, civ 3 shipped with 16 civilizations, civ4 shipped with 18 civilizations, Warlords was released about a year later. civ 5 shipped with 18 civilizations.

Why should Babylon be included when the quote was filled. Should civ 5 be shipped with 19 civs? And when they release civ x as DLC you would just complain they should have included it in the regular game? How many civs are enough to include in the basic game to satisfy you? 20? 25?

With Babylon as DLC we don't have to wait for the next expansion (in about a year) to have Babylon included in our game.

9. edpovi

edpovi Chieftain

The $5 price for a DLC civ is just about what I expected. This is a reasonable price in my opinion.

For those of us that spend the extra $10 for the digital deluxe edition that got us 1) Babylon civ, 2) Behind the Scenes video, 3) game soundtrack. This is just in line with those prices.

I expect that after Babylon and Mongols, the rest of the civs will come in the "double civ pack", which the D2D folks will get the 1st one free. It seems this will be 2 civs with a map and scenerio for about $10 as DLC.

For those that think it's too much, the answer is very simple: don't buy it.

For those that say they should be free or come with the base game: your sense of entitlement is overpowering your logic.

Two civs and a scenerio for less than the price of a movie tix? I'll buy that!

10. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

You can use this site to look at the price history fo Steam titles: http://www.steamgamesales.com/

11. wurstburst

wurstburst Prince

Getting one civ isn't exactly a full-blown DLC pack. For $5, I'd expect 3 or 4 civs and a few scenarios. For one civ, they should be charging $0.99.

12. LoneGamer

LoneGamer Warlord

:scan:

You guys are like an angry mob..

I've payed more for a pint of beer and would have gotten less out of it.(Whiskey is better):sad:

I hear Babylon's quite the Civ and the leader animations are awesome... Think I saw a posted pic in a poll here about your favorite Civ. I'm content right now playing my own added Civ, Scotland, but if they were to add that and ask for some cash for the leader animations I might have to get it.

However I have looked on steam and saw nothing about it. So you guys have a 7 page long thread complaining about something that hasn't happened... yet... or maybe... ever?

I may well happen, but my point is, it just takes 1 bad thing 1 person says about Civ 5 and BOOM we have yet another angry mob on our hands. Chill guys and gals $5 is just $5. Let's not get into yet another one of these long "interesting" rants.

13. LoneGamer

LoneGamer Warlord

How bout an actual link to the Civ 5 babylon dlc? Or is there none?

14. Cashie

Cashie King

Well said. I'd just like to point out that $5 is less than the $10 for the Deluxe Steam Edition. I would have liked it to be free, but that would be even less fair on the suckers people who bought the premium edition, like I nearly did, but didn't because I'm a cheapskate.

I'm broke as hell, but I'll pay $5 plus currency conversion (which will hopefully still be a good rate next week).

[edit] I didn't realise there was another 3 pages of the same junktalk.

15. Vordeo

Vordeo King

It's not written down in stone anywhere, but throwing around insults did make you sound pretty childish.

Not to mention the fact that based off the info in the quote, Sonereal (AKA the guy you were replying to) didn't actually post that.

I honestly don't mean any offense here, but I've gotten the impression that English isn't your first language (please correct me if I'm wrong there). If multiple people don't understand what you're saying, it might be time to consider that you're phrasing your points poorly instead of throwing around insults

Your original sentence was:

The implication there is that you're saying it's not optional DLC. Not that it wasn't DLC. For instance, if I wanted to communicate that someone wasn't a guy, I'd just say he wasn't a guy. I generally wouldn't say he wasn't a fat guy, because someone hearing that could then think I was saying he just wasn't fat.

You are, but if you base your opinions on faulty reasoning, don't be offended when people call you out on it.

16. Vordeo

Vordeo King

You're drinking the wrong beer then. :D

They've announced they'll be releasing it as DLC but haven't done so yet (IIRC).

17. gls5000

gls5000 Chieftain

Yes he did. Go to page 2 and you will see for yourself.

No offence intended? That's exactly what you intended. It would be impossible for me to work as an English translator if there was even the slightest doubt as to the quality of my English. To suggest that my English is that of a non-native speaker is absurd and can only be intended as a veiled insult. (I'm British by the way). If you really believe there is something wrong with my English then prove your point: feel free to PM me with a point-by-point analysis of my grammatical and spelling errors (good luck), or anything you feel sounds unnatural. I can do the same for you if you like.

Ah, I see, so you are the supreme guardian of good reasoning. Does it not occur to you that your reasoning might be faulty? Whether or not somebody's reasoning is faulty is highly subjective. It is the height of arrogance to assume that all your opinions and reasons are correct. A truly intelligent person understands that he does not hold all knowledge and is willing to engage in discussions with other people to arrive at the truth, not to impose his beliefs on others.

18. Grimberht

Grimberht Chieftain

5$ isnt much... that said 2K wont get me back for a free Mongole Civ or a 5$ Babylonians.. They'll get me back if they fix their damn game. I really hope no one buys the Babylonians!!!

Anyway I wouldnt have use them much since I'm back to CIV IV and enjoying it like it was brand you... hourray for CiV failure... I most likely wouldnt had started a new CIV IV game without it :p

19. LoneGamer

LoneGamer Warlord

:lol: I like my keith's or labatt blue but it doesn't get me drunk. ;)

I see. Thanks for the update, as you probably noticed I skipped a few pages so my bad in case it was mentioned before.

20. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Offtopic, but try some Unibroue stuff. I love Trois Pistoles.