4,99$ For Babylon

Heh, Civilly then:

I do personally feel that $5 is too steep for a single Civ, and I'll be exercising my consumer-lovin' choice not to purchase it.

Having that option doesn't prevent me from being disappointed that they seem to be going down the nickle-and-dime cosmetic DLC road. Time will tell, though - one free civ, and one option to purchase part of the 'deluxe edition' pack after the fact don't necessarily represent the eventual DLC plan.

So...cautiously hopeful. It makes me worry that the pattern is the same as Oblivion's launch, so far - $5 for horse barding that only had any value because the modding tools hadn't been released to the community yet.

:Was this really necessary? Quick tip: on the internet, whoever pulls out the 'you're really a 10 year old!' card first generally looks more immature than the other guy.

You mean like this quotation from Sonereal back on page two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc420
hmmmm, must be a family board, so there's no icon for me giving a 1 finger salute to Sid.
This should've invalidated the rest of your post since you're clearly under the age of 13 but I'll go ahead and continue.

In any case, you just made that rule up Vordeo.

Er.... if it's in the game in the first place it isn't really DLC.

That's exactly what I said. Somebody else who doesn't read properly.

Consumers don't need to buy Babylon to play the rest of the game, and thus are given a choice of whether or not they believe a civ is worth $5. If he thinks it's worth it, he'll buy it. If he doesn't, he won't, and will go on the internet to complain.

I quite agree. Again if you take the time to read my posts properly; you'll note that I was offering an opinion on whether $5.00 was a fair price, and my opinion is that for the amount of content, it is not. Am I not entitled to an opinion without insults flying in?

Each of us will decide for ourselves whether to buy DLC or not.

** Grabs some popcorn :banana:

I hope they release some new units for $2.99 as DLC. How cool would that be!!!!

Maybe they can release a horse armor pack for mounted units!

Future DLC will be so customizable, you can buy the civilization, UUs, UBs, and leadrheads separately. All for the glorious price of $2.99 (each) plus tax.

LOL

Was the first DLC for oblivion...

UGH I paid $10 for babylon

never again!!!!!!!!!!

technicaly, you payed 10$ for Babylon + whatever your retailers other bonus was + the soundtrack + the behind the scenes thinger.

Five bucks for 1 civ? So if they release 10 civs total thats 50 bucks. Hahaha youve got to be kidding me.
They already got my 50$ for this poor excuse for a strategy game and for them to think they are getting anything else is poor judgement on their part.

lol I'm glad I chose to buy a parrot instead of this game....money better invested. :D

I'm going to teach him to say "civ 5 sucks" and use a youtube link as my signature.

what i dont understand is, how people can really defend the fact that firaxis is charging money for this crapp.
i am a programmer myself and i read on the frontpage that this stuff should be the list of fixes in the upcoming patch

UI

* Fix for production prompt that sometimes appears with newly created puppet states that could stop the player from being able to end the turn.
* Aircraft banner corrections �- now when you rebase an aircraft, the number will move with it.
* Resource icons now come up with Ctrl-R again, instead of sharing the same button with Build Roads.
* Selecting a great general will no longer cause yield icons to appear.
* Added option to disable auto-unit cycling.
* Fix for full-screen game when running duel monitors. Previously, the curser could scroll off the “open” side, and not be able to scroll the map in that direction.
* Misc additional fixes to mouse controls, and other interface issues.
* Rounded out financial information in the Economic Overview screen. Details now provided on the amount of gold provided by each city, the cost of buildings in each city, etc.
* Auto-populate save menu with save file name
* Allow selection of other cities by hex from within the city screen
* Added detailed trade route info to Economic Overview screen

MODDING

* Category list now displays correctly

etc.etc.

MISC

* Research treaties that end because you declare war will no longer grant the free tech
* Save/Load �- Fix for corrupted saves being experienced by some players in late-game.
* Map - Huge map crash-during-load fix that were reported on some specific systems.
* Map �- Terrain caching fix that could cause problems for certain video cards (the “glowing red orbs” seen on the map are an indicator of this).
* Map �- Fix for the low res terrain that appears the first time the game is run (terrain tiles would not load in anything but low-res the first time you play on some computer configurations)
* Strategic View �- Crash fix for units rendering in background.
* Strategic View �- Fix for selecting units either standing on a city plot, or garrisoned in the city plot.
* Eyefinity �- Better handling of leader scenes when using Eyefinity displays.
* Tutorials �- Many tutorial tweaks and adjustments.
* Multiple crash fixes.

really firaxis, really?
you are creating DLC's that give you payoff before even finishing your alpha version game?
you are charging ppl money for such things, instead of doing those simple fixes in your upcoming patch?
and what the hell takes you so long? or is your time better investing in creating DLC's for 5 bucks each?
wtf, how can it even be possible that this game is so bugged up when it was released?
this list of fixes it really not a lot of work, and dont tell me that the fixes have to be checked and rechecked again to avoid trouble.
if you would have checked and rechecked, those bugs would have never even appeared!!
this is a rip off game, making fast cash on a franchise that is treated like a cash cow now, and this will be the ultimate decline.
you could have made a lot of money, by respecting the game, and making it awsome for the pc gamers that love this game since day 1, but the fast cash always wins this epic 1 tile battle.
FU CK YOU <- from the bottom of my heart.

what i dont understand is, how people can really defend the fact that firaxis is charging money for this crapp.
i am a programmer myself and i read on the frontpage that this stuff should be the list of fixes in the upcoming patch

really firaxis, really?
you are creating DLC's that give you payoff before even finishing your alpha version game?
you are charging ppl money for such things, instead of doing those simple fixes in your upcoming patch?
and what the hell takes you so long? or is your time better investing in creating DLC's for 5 bucks each?
wtf, how can it even be possible that this game is so bugged up when it was released?
this list of fixes it really not a lot of work, and dont tell me that the fixes have to be checked and rechecked again to avoid trouble.
if you would have checked and rechecked, those bugs would have never even appeared!!
this is a rip off game, making fast cash on a franchise that is treated like a cash cow now, and this will be the ultimate decline.
you could have made a lot of money, by respecting the game, and making it awsome for the pc gamers that love this game since day 1, but the fast cash always wins this epic 1 tile battle.
FU CK YOU <- from the bottom of my heart.

You know how I know that you aren't a programmer?

You just called Civ V's release build an "alpha version". If you WERE a programmer, you would know what an alpha build of a piece of software really is.

I like this idea. If 2k games contineously release new and fun Civs to play as DLC it can be a sure winner.

However, doing this now? When the game is still in beta form? Thats an insult to every Civ fan out there, I really hope noone spend five bucks on this (even though its not alot) because maybe that will send a message to the devs: Stop developing civs and focus on the actual game you prematurely released.

I quite agree. Again if you take the time to read my posts properly; you'll note that I was offering an opinion on whether $5.00 was a fair price, and my opinion is that for the amount of content, it is not. Am I not entitled to an opinion without insults flying in?

Well I not only wont insult, but Ill agree with you...

I love how people point to "Well Microsoft is drilling our wallets harder" and then in the same breath say that its ok that its $5 for a civ. Its only 1 burger.

Its a matter of getting what you pay for. You pay $5 for an entire lunch which gives you more satisfaction than the $5 you could of spent on a civilization that (arguably) should of been in the game to begin with and CERTAINLY is not "new content" worth paying for. Its simply a civilization with a maximum of 3 modifiers.
In short... giving them $5 for something they ripped out of the game (which was rushed to begin with) is no different than grabbing your ankles and asking for more angry pleasure. Like... for example... what Microsoft does to their customers over xbox live.

An example scenario: You go into the hamburger joint and they sell you an entire meal (drink, burger, fries) for $5. Then they ask... "would you like ice, salt, and the bottom hamburger bun for 10% more?"
They are asking for you to pay twice for something and you aren't getting anything except for what you thought you already paid for.

Its a form of lying and deception, and its a direct insult on most gamers intelligence. Thats why people are upset. It has nothing to do with the $5 -- just like in the scenario it would not be ab ig deal to pay an extra 50 cents, but its still going to piss you off. Its a dumb move in the long run.

Point and case... you wont go back to get that same burger unless it was the best burger you've ever tasted (and the more burgers you've tasted, the more that is diluted). Ironically if it was actually a good burger to begin with, you would of paid the extra up front WITHOUT the deception. Same thing goes for any other business. Customers vote with their wallet. If you like grabbing your ankles, then by all means... everyone should go buy the $5 DLC and see what happens in the future.
If you want to see something actually worth $5 then the only way that is going to happen is if you send them a message they will understand. They want your $$ and the easier you are to get it from the less effort they put into it.

I like this idea. If 2k games contineously release new and fun Civs to play as DLC it can be a sure winner.

However, doing this now? When the game is still in beta form? Thats an insult to every Civ fan out there, I really hope noone spend five bucks on this (even though its not alot) because maybe that will send a message to the devs:

I really wish individuals would stop implying or believing that they can speak for "every Civ fan out there". Please realise that while you are entitled to your opinion, that you are not entitled to claim that all or a majority, minority, etc. hold the same view that you do.

I am a Civilization fan, and I do not believe that "Civ V" is a beta release. It's actually quite polished in many aspects. Yes, it has issues that need resolution, but I've already logged well over 50 hours playing it and I think I can safely (that in my view) it's polished to a point well beyond "alpha" or "beta" status.

Stop developing civs and focus on the actual game you prematurely released.

That's a false dichotomy at best.

It's silly to believe that a major developer or publisher wouldn't have *multiple* teams working on the product. That means (gasp!) the group of people working on resolving issues the game has are very likely not the same people producing new content.

Your implication is that the game is somehow suffering because new content is being produced at the same time that issues are being resolved, and that is simply not a sufficiently informed view of development or business practices.

Well I not only wont insult, but Ill agree with you...

I love how people point to "Well Microsoft is drilling our wallets harder" and then in the same breath say that its ok that its $5 for a civ. Its only 1 burger.

Its a matter of getting what you pay for. You pay $5 for an entire lunch which gives you more satisfaction than the $5 you could of spent on a civilization that (arguably) should of been in the game to begin with and CERTAINLY is not "new content" worth paying for. Its simply a civilization with a maximum of 3 modifiers.
In short... giving them $5 for something they ripped out of the game (which was rushed to begin with) is no different than grabbing your ankles and asking for more angry pleasure. Like... for example... what Microsoft does to their customers over xbox live.

Your supposition is based on the false assumption that it was content "ripped" from the game, or that it somehow "belonged" in the game originally. What information and reference do you have to believe it that "should have been in the game" other than your belief that you are owed free content for some reason?

An example scenario: You go into the hamburger joint and they sell you an entire meal (drink, burger, fries) for $5. Then they ask... "would you like ice, salt, and the bottom hamburger bun for 10% more?"
They are asking for you to pay twice for something and you aren't getting anything except for what you thought you already paid for.

Everyone's definition of what a burger should be is different. For example, were you aware the burger king in the US sells a "burger" that doesn't come with buns for those on a low carb diet? It only comes with lettuce instead.

Or to put it differently, there was a time when cheese was the standard thing to expect on a burger in the US, but a few decades ago restaurants started charging extra for it.

In the end, I don't believe your expectations were reasonable, nor was your analogy sound.

Your supposition is based on the false assumption that it was content "ripped" from the game, or that it somehow "belonged" in the game originally. What information and reference do you have to believe it that "should have been in the game" other than your belief that you are owed free content for some reason?

Obviously Babylon was done at the time of release. They used it as a money grab for the deluxe edition and are now using it as a money grab again. Since it was finished, they could have easily included it in the regular game.

I also think it is naive to think the Mongols weren't ready to go at launch, but that can't be proven.

Obviously Babylon was done at the time of release. They used it as a money grab for the deluxe edition and are now using it as a money grab again. Since it was finished, they could have easily included it in the regular game.

I also think it is naive to think the Mongols weren't ready to go at launch, but that can't be proven.

Very well said....I bet there is much more left out that is actually finished but down the line they will try and nickel and dime us to death with it.
Vote with your wallet.

To be fair - in regards to the Mongols, maybe they wanted to release it with the game and never had the time. They finished the game and then after this game was packaged up and ready to go, they finished the Mongols, but couldn't add it in to the core game due to 2k setting their release date and having to meet it. Running out of time does happen.

Top Bottom