9th Circuit upholds Prop 8 ruling, step closer to implementing the fabulous agenda!

When did I ever say hat I wanted to ban Burqas or minarets?

No. He was asserting that direct democracy is for the most part a failed endeavor, sarcastically citing Switzerland - often a "shining example" of the merits of the system - to demonstrate that the proposition system in California is fundamentally flawed. You, however, have been stating unequivocally that the will of the people (i.e. the proposition system) should be upheld.

No. He was asserting that direct democracy is for the most part a failed endeavor, sarcastically citing Switzerland - often a "shining example" of the merits of the system - to demonstrate that the proposition system in California is fundamentally flawed. You, however, have been stating unequivocally that the will of the people (i.e. the proposition system) should be upheld.

I didn't say that direct Democracy is always the best idea, I just think that trivial issues like SSM should be up decided by the people.

So civil marriage is a trivial issue?

I didn't say that direct Democracy is always the best idea, I just think that trivial issues like SSM should be up decided by the people.
I think each marriage or divorce is trivial enough to merit a referendum. Perhaps each marriage could be put up for a referendum every few years.

Well, naturally. Only your views are worthy of respect, right?

I don't think those affected by the ban consider it a trivial issue, if for its symbolic meaning more than its practical limitations

Direct democracy requires (really really important) an informative mainstream media landscape (US: nope), an mandatory education that emphasizes critical thinking (US: nope), a culture of political responsibility (nope) and a culture of productive public debate :)lol: ... nope).
Direct democracy is one of my favorite political topics - but even I wouldn't advise US-American states let alone the nation to make extensive use of direct democracy in their current shape.
But of course, who needs analysis if one can just quote the FOUNDING FARTHERS or cite a viral case of Switzerland. Hahahah! Screw you reason!

Direct democracy requires (really really important) an informative mainstream media landscape (US: nope), an mandatory education that emphasizes critical thinking (US: nope), a culture of political responsibility (nope) and a culture of productive public debate :)lol: ... nope).
Direct democracy is one of my favorite political topics - but even I wouldn't advise US-American states let alone the nation to make extensive use of direct democracy in their current shape.
But of course, who needs analysis if one can just quote the FOUNDING FARTHERS or cite a viral case of Switzerland. Hahahah! Screw you reason!

Yes, people should be educated to your own views before they are allowed to vote. That's just smart thinking there.

In your case, the US constitution would be a good start. Mandatory education? You're not talking about school kids here, you are trying to eliminate views you are threatened with under the shield of "education". Face it, no matter how staunch your efforts of labeling opponents as homophobes, you are outnumbered.

So civil marriage is a trivial issue?
Well, I guess that the sanctity of marriage is only a rhetorical term used in debates against not banning SSM but not something anyone actually believes, and indeed a trivial matter. I'm surprised and grateful for that little bit of honesty.

In your case, the US constitution would be a good start.
I never had much use for the commandments of the Holy Farther. I don't see why it should be any different with the Founding Farthers.
Mandatory education?
Yep.
You're not talking about school kids here
I am, actually. But go on.
you are trying to eliminate views
In a way I am, sure. If people had awesome views without thinking critically, it would be rather useless to do so.
you are threatened with
"Threatened" doesn't capture it. I have no impulse of hiding for one, nor do I fear to loose anything.
under the shield of "education".
What to you then constitutes the skill to critical think, if education is only a disguise? Liberal hogwash?
Face it, no matter how staunch your efforts of labeling opponents as homophobes, you are outnumbered.
Are you... still talking to me?

As much as I think you have a good overall point, I'll suggest that 4th-Century Athens did reasonably well under direct democracy, with nothing resembling the first two.

As much as I think you have a good overall point, I'll suggest that 4th-Century Athens did reasonably well under direct democracy, with nothing resembling the first two.

How many of the people there could actually vote, though?

Face it, no matter how staunch your efforts of labelling opponents as homophobes, you are outnumbered.

Given your current signature, I would hazard a guess that you seem to be somewhat defensive right now.

His signature is great. National Organisation for Marriage. Never heard of them before, but boy am I glad I did. The site is hilarious.

I recommend the blog. That really is neither here nor there.

Top Bottom